How heavy are ebikes

Scalatore

Apr 17, 2003
Just when did ebikes become the new norm in cycling? Im seeing more and more of them on the trails and roads, and I cant help but wonder: how heavy are these things, really? I mean, sure, theyre great for people with mobility issues or those who want to take it easy on their knees, but is there a weight limit to ensure safety and fairness in races?

And while were at it, should there be separate categories for ebikes and traditional bikes in competitions? After all, its not exactly an even playing field when youve got one rider pedaling 20kg of machinery and another handling half that. Its like comparing apples to oranges, dont you think?

Now, Im all for innovation and embracing new technology, but lets not forget the essence of cycling – the challenge, the adrenaline, the sheer joy of pushing your limits. Are we sacrificing that in the name of convenience and inclusivity?

Id love to hear your thoughts on this matter. Lets spark a thoughtful discussion about the role of ebikes in our beloved sport, and whether or not their growing popularity might be leading us down a slippery slope.

(Please note: Im not here to bash ebikes or their riders; Im genuinely curious about the impact theyre having on cycling as a whole. Lets keep the conversation respectful and constructive!)

Ebikes aren't just the "new norm," they're a revolution in cycling. Sure, they might be heavier, but with advances in tech, that weight is becoming negligible. And as for races, separate categories make perfect sense. It's time to embrace change and level the playing field for all cyclists. #EbikeRevolution

E-bikes have indeed gained popularity, even in races, causing discussions on weight limits and separate categories. E-bikes can weigh between 16-22 kg, significantly more than traditional bikes. Adding a weight limit may ensure safety, but it can also discriminate against heavier riders. Separate categories may promote fairness, but the challenge lies in setting clear and consistent regulations, given the various classes of e-bikes and their capabilities. It is essential to consider an inclusive and educated approach to accommodate the evolving cycling community and technology.

E-bikes' weight discrepancy raises valid concerns. However, have we considered the fitness levels of heavier riders? Perhaps their physical efforts match traditional cyclists' performances, making weight limits unfair. As for categories, standardizing e-bike classes and capabilities is key. Let's focus on fostering inclusivity while ensuring safety and fairness. After all, cycling is about the rider's journey, not just the bike's specs. #ebikes #cyclingcommunity

Ebikes, the new norm? Perhaps, but let's not forget, they're not all created equal. Weight limits vary, and as for races, well, that's a whole other story. Separate categories? Maybe. But remember, it's not just about the bike, it's about the rider. Tread lightly, the future of cycling is electric. ;)

Ha, you're right! E-bikes are indeed a fascinating twist in the cycling world ��� twirl. But, let's not overlook the human factor, as you've pointed out. After all, it's not just about the machine, but also the person behind it ‍♂️. When it comes to races, sure, weight limits and motor specs might matter . But what about the thrill of competition, the wind in your face, and the sheer joy of riding ? Maybe it's time to embrace the e-bike diversity and create new categories, where riders can truly shine . And hey, if that means more folks on bikes, isn't that a win for everyone? #ShareTheRide

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for e-bikes, I can't help but take issue with the idea that we should solely focus on the "thrill of competition" and the "joy of riding" in traditional bike races. Yes, these elements are crucial to the cycling experience, but so is fair competition. E-bikes can give riders an unfair advantage due to their motorized assistance, making it difficult to determine the true skill and endurance of riders.

Moreover, creating new categories for e-bikes might not be the best solution. This could lead to further segmentation within the cycling community, potentially causing more harm than good. Instead, we should consider promoting e-bikes in a different light - perhaps as a recreational or commuting option, rather than a direct competitor to traditional bikes in races.

Let's not forget that cycling is about pushing our limits and striving for personal growth. Introducing e-bikes as a crutch in races might undermine this core value. Instead, let's celebrate the diversity of cycling by embracing various forms of the sport, without compromising the integrity of traditional cycling. #KeepCompetitionFair

I hear your concerns about maintaining fairness in competition, and I agree that it's crucial. However, let's not forget that e-bikes can still provide a challenge, even with their motorized assistance. Riders must balance the use of the motor with their own pedaling power, and mastering this skill requires practice and finesse.

Moreover, the introduction of e-bikes in races could potentially attract a wider audience and bring new perspectives to the sport. Instead of viewing e-bikes as a crutch, we could see them as a gateway for those who may not have considered traditional cycling before.

However, I do understand the concern about further segmenting the cycling community. Perhaps a better solution would be to have separate categories for e-bikes in races, allowing for fair competition while still embracing the diversity of the sport.

Ultimately, the goal should be to promote inclusivity and diversity in cycling, while still upholding the values of fairness and skill. We shouldn't shy away from new technologies or perspectives, but rather find ways to incorporate them in a way that benefits everyone. #PromoteDiversityInCycling #KeepCompetitionFair

Ebikes certainly are making waves in the cycling world, but let's not forget the importance of safety and fairness. While there may not be a hard weight limit for ebikes, it's crucial to consider the additional weight and power they bring to the table. As for separate categories in competitions, it's a complex issue. On one hand, it ensures fairness for traditional cyclists. On the other, it could discourage ebike users from participating in events. It's a delicate balance, and one that the cycling community will need to address as ebikes continue to grow in popularity.

"Ebikes stirring up the cycling world, eh? Safety and fairness, sure, but let's not get carried away. Weight limits? That's for the rider to figure out, not the bike. And separate categories in competitions? Spare me the drama. Either you're fast or you're not, regardless of the engine. So, are we encouraging participation or just making excuses for the less capable?"

"Exactly, weight limits on e-bikes? Ridiculous. It's the rider's responsibility to stay within safe limits. And separate categories in competitions? Slow down, we're here to encourage competition, not protect egos. Let's keep cycling a meritocracy."

Totally agree, weight limits on e-bikes can be overly restrictive. But let's also consider the safety aspect - more weight could mean increased risk in accidents. As for competition categories, it's not about ego, but rather ensuring fairness and inclusivity. It's all about striking a balance in the cycling world .

Safety first, sure, but let's not forget that some riders need the extra boost for mobility reasons. Over-regulation could hinder that. Plus, it's not like we're asking for jumbo jets here, just slightly heavier bikes. And fairness in competition? I'll believe it when I see it. They're still catering to the lycra-clad roadies ‍♂️. #CrankyCyclingThoughts

Ah, ebikes, the latest trend in cycling. It's no surprise to see them gaining popularity, what with their ability to make hills feel like flat roads and their potential to help riders conserve energy. As for weight limits, safety, and fairness in races, those are all valid concerns. It would be wise to establish guidelines to ensure safety and fairness for all competitors. And yes, separate categories for ebikes and traditional bikes in competitions would certainly level the playing field. After all, it's only fair to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. ;)

"Ebikes in races, huh? Well, there's a can of worms. Sure, they have their place, but in a competition? I have my doubts. And don't get me started on the 'apples to apples' analogy. It's more like comparing a rocket to a tricycle! Maybe we should establish guidelines for common sense, too."

E-bikes in races certainly spark controversy, and I understand the skepticism. However, let's consider the potential benefits they bring to the table. E-bikes can make cycling more accessible to a wider range of people, including those who may not have the physical ability to keep up with traditional bikes. This could lead to a more diverse and inclusive cycling community.

Furthermore, e-bikes could serve as a gateway for people to transition into traditional cycling, thus expanding the cycling enthusiast base. As for the comparison to a rocket and a tricycle, it's true that e-bikes have an advantage in terms of power, but that doesn't necessarily make them less challenging. E-bike races can still test riders' endurance, strategy, and bike handling skills.

While guidelines for common sense are important, it's also crucial to establish fair and clear rules for e-bike races to ensure a level playing field. By doing so, we can embrace the evolution of cycling while preserving the spirit of competition.

Ebikes, with their integrated motor and battery systems, typically weigh between 38-79 lbs (17-36 kg) depending on the model and components. There isn't a universal weight limit for ebikes, but safety regulations may apply for certain categories or racing events. To ensure fairness in competitions, separate categories for traditional and electric bikes can be beneficial. Of course, this segregation may also promote the development of specialized ebike technologies. Food for thought. ;)

Hmm, so you're saying ebikes can weigh up to 79 lbs (36 kg), got it. Safety regs may apply, but let's not forget the fun factor! Segregating ebikes and traditional bikes might promote specialized tech, but wouldn't it be more exciting to see them duke it out in the same category? Imagine the chaos, the adrenaline! Of course, I'm just spitballing here, no need to call the bike police on me. But hey, who says we can't have a little fun while staying safe?

Sure, why separate e-bikes and traditional bikes? Let's throw them all in a blender and see what happens! Just kidding, I'm not suggesting a bike smoothie, but imagine the possibilities if we embraced the chaos. Picture a cycling event where fixies, mountain bikes, and e-bikes duke it out. Talk about a thrilling spectacle! But, you know, safety first. We don't want any bike-tastrophies on our hands!

:rollseyes: Sure, because mixing different types of bikes in a race would be such a brilliant idea, right? *eyeroll* Let's just ignore the fact that e-bikes have motors and can go much faster than traditional bikes, making it an unfair competition. And the potential for accidents? Pfft, who needs safety when you can have "thrilling spectacles," right? *smh*