How is my pace given the type of bike I ride?

solitudethedude

Aug 26, 2010
Hello, I commute one way to work on a Trek 7.2 FX hybrid bike. It is 24.5 miles and takes me about 90 minutes to do.

I was wondering if this is a good pace at all, given the distance and bike I ride.

It is on a paved bike path for a majority of the ride.

Thanks

You are commuting to work not in a group ride or training for a race. You are riding a hybrid. As long as you can get to work on time why worry about pace.
However, if you were riding a road bike and training for a race you are on the slow side.

It's not about the bike (to quote someone, I forget)16mph you're not going to win the Tour but you're doing OK. If you're in bits at the end then you my be over doing it. If you're not breaking sweat then work a bit harder, if you arrive breathing hard, sweating and you have to take a breath between words then you're not far off.

wooliferkins said:
It's not about the bike (to quote someone, I forget)16mph you're not going to win the Tour but you're doing OK. If you're in bits at the end then you my be over doing it. If you're not breaking sweat then work a bit harder, if you arrive breathing hard, sweating and you have to take a breath between words then you're not far off.

Yeah, thing is it's nearly 25 miles and it's on a hybrid. Doing 25 miles on a road bike is a lot, but on a hybrid it's really taxing on the body. I was just wondering if doing 24.5 miles in 90 mins on a hybrid was good or not.

solitudethedude said:
Yeah, thing is it's nearly 25 miles and it's on a hybrid. Doing 25 miles on a road bike is a lot, but on a hybrid it's really taxing on the body. I was just wondering if doing 24.5 miles in 90 mins on a hybrid was good or not.
FWIW. Because I presume you are encountering a fair number (¿at least two dozen?) stop lights, I'm going to say that riding 24.5 miles in 90 minutes is a very good pace.

alfeng said:
FWIW. Because I presume you are encountering a fair number (¿at least two dozen?) stop lights, I'm going to say that riding 24.5 miles in 90 minutes is a very good pace.

Actually I ride on the North County Bike Trail in Westchester County, NY. There's really no stop lights, I only stop to cross about 2 or 3 busy streets.

I bought the bike in early June and have already put about 700 miles on it (thanks to cateye wireless). How many miles would I have to put on it before I could possibly justify a $1000+ road bike purchase?

solitudethedude said:
Actually I ride on the North County Bike Trail in Westchester County, NY. There's really no stop lights, I only stop to cross about 2 or 3 busy streets.

I bought the bike in early June and have already put about 700 miles on it (thanks to cateye wireless). How many miles would I have to put on it before I could possibly justify a $1000+ road bike purchase?

I ride a hybrid at that pace (with a fair number of stops in the route) 3-4 times a week and have done so most of this year. I've lost 20lbs doing so. As had been said, if you are to work on time and not in pain doing so, then it is a good pace!

I think it is a good pace as I try to ride 25 miles every day with a 35 once in a wile I avrage 11 to 13 mph dependind on the wind. By the way my Fuji Absolute 1.0 got in March has 2651 miles on it I also have 2 outher bikes I ride some times. O yea I am 65 years old going on 66 in a month:D I hope.