How long can you ride no-handed? And why do you do it?

Originally posted by Kona_Blue
That's pretty freaking impressive. How did you do the 190 cadence without bouncing ? What sort of gearing ?

I was doing it on my track bike. Gearing was about 48x15, although gearing is kind of a moot point as my rollers don't have much resistance. Doing it without bouncing was easy, seeing as my all time max was 258 rpm. I tried it again last week and hit 215 so i'm getting better. It's all about practice. I was really lucky tho, as i had someone to teach me how to do it properly the first time i tried it. he's a bike messenger from the netherlands, we call him fish cuz he's got a huge tattoo of a rotting pirahnna on his calf. He can do some really crazy stuff. He pulled off a single leg, no handed skid at the world messenger championships and won their track stand comp with only one leg. He's the master.

can ride for as long as i need no handed, can wheelie/trackstand etc too think that comes from when i used to ride mtbs. benefits of riding with no hands = changing jackets/texting/peeling a nana and best of all, lookin good when u cross the line 1st!

Do you guys practice your breaststroke occassionally? It's great for a laugh ;)

Brian

I've noticed this thread on the forum before. Last night I was on the rollers for an hour. I usually sit up and go hands-free occasionally just to vary my position a bit. Last night I sat up at five minutes and decided to see how long I could go hands-free. I ended up doing 60 minutes. It really wasn't that hard (although like maintaining any position on the bike for an hour, it started to get a bit uncomfortable). I've been using rollers about once (good weather) or twice (winter) a week for the last eighteen months. I did shoot off the rollers once while I was watching a DVD of Paris-Roubaix. (I turned when they turned . . .). I don't watch bike races anymore on the rollers.

I've been able to ride hands-free since I was a kid, so I don't really remember how I learned. Like other posters, I don't do it in the middle of a pack.

djmtoronto

Originally posted by taras0000
As for the dude who goes no handed on the rollers, I tried that once and shot my bike through the garage wall.

It took some time to get it, but once you do, you can eat, sleep, drink, and even read a book as long as you can see the tip of your front wheel. I once went off the rollers with both hands, but i was watching an action movie and turned right just as the guy driving the car in the movie did, went out the living room, through the dining room, and caught myself inthe kitchen doorway. never sprint and watch a movie. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you guys practice your breaststroke occassionally? It's great for a laugh

Only when cycling at the bottom of my pool, of course !

Avoid laughing too much underwater tho...

Try when you are crossing quiet traffic lights or when the traffic has stopped. :D
I havn't got my butterfly ready for a public display yet.

Brian

sorry but this time I don't understand what you mean...

Why traffic lights ?
Why "get butterfly ready for a public display (? )" ?

Is this a joke ? and if so, what kind of joke ?

English is not my native language.

It's something I do for fun when I'm feeling confident.
More veiwers crossing traffic lights and drivers need something to brighten their day.
My butterfly looks terrible but if you practice breathing during breaststroke its easier to learn on the bike.

Hope that clarrifies.

Brian

I usually change clothes on my bike, i.e. start out with a jacket and fleece on on cold days, drop the fleece, and stuff it into a jersy pocket etc.

I eat on the bike as well. I hate getting off and ruining my vibe ya know? It kills my buddies who generally look for any reason to break, but hey, thats me.

My butterfly looks terrible but if you practice breathing during breaststroke its easier to learn on the bike.

Hope that clarrifies.

It's butterfly that was making most of the problem :

I thought it was the insect !

Butterfly is a style of swimming.

Doesn't everyone else get bored of cycling on the hoods and try to liven up their ride?

Brian

Im a hands on hoods type of guy....but if anyone can beat this i would be impressed....

Guy called Don Sorrenson, 80+ years old, biked around a track sitting on the handlebars pedaling the bike backwards playing the bagpipes

Originally posted by Fixey
Im a hands on hoods type of guy....but if anyone can beat this i would be impressed....

Guy called Don Sorrenson, 80+ years old, biked around a track sitting on the handlebars pedaling the bike backwards playing the bagpipes

You got me on the bagpipes, mate...

LOL

I had a nice ride going this morning. I was at a steady 95 cadence when a guy passed me. He got about 10 bike lenghts in front of me and then i slowing gained keeping the same 95 cadence. Then he sits up and rides with no hands and coming right up on his wheel to pass and he goes back on his bars,turns around and says as he waves me off,dont draft me. I get next to him and say,i wasnt,you slowed so i was going to pass. He didnt say anything and picked up the pace enough so i pulled back behind and stayed at my pace. Strange or what?

comon guys what the hell, every bodey can ride with out usin their hands. i never even had to practice i jsut had to lift up my hand. i can ride circles of a 4 meter radius with out hands. i can ride with out hands for as long as i want and with out gettin sweady. man i dont get u guys what kinda bike do u guys ride? i can ride or turn with out hands with my eyes closed and with sombodey sittin on the bck seet
ha now i feel better

Originally posted by pieterdirix2001
comon guys what the hell, every bodey can ride with out usin their hands. i never even had to practice i jsut had to lift up my hand. i can ride circles of a 4 meter radius with out hands. i can ride with out hands for as long as i want and with out gettin sweady. man i dont get u guys what kinda bike do u guys ride? i can ride or turn with out hands with my eyes closed and with sombodey sittin on the bck seet
ha now i feel better

WOW you must be REALLY good, could ya teach me? huh? huh? could ya please?
Ya think one day I might be as good as you? d'ya think? mabey? huh?
WOW, your my hero

Sometimes we forget that some discipline require more skill than others. A BMX, DH and XC rider will (in general) have alot more skill than a roadie or trackie. It probably would have been best to state our background before we start talking about our hands free abilities.

Brian

Ok, here I go. I can go miles on miles on end no handed. I've changed clothes riding my bike places. Going through grass and around corners is nothing. Now doing wheelies, I can go for about 500+ feet and recently I've been going around corners doing them. Praciting them with clipless isn't the smartest thing though, I'll tell you that.