How long did u wait to ride after vsctmy?

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
Staring at a bike in the corner and some nasty bruising somewhere else :eek:

How long did it take for those of you who've taken the boyz to the butcher to get back in the saddle? It has been 6 days since the op and the thought of getting back in the saddle still has me cringing like Martha looking at a prison restroom.

Thoughts, comments and smart remarks appreciated

6 weeks at a minimum.

Soft tissue even more tender = no sitting on the saddle "shaft"

Waited till the drugs wore off and rode home that night.

No wait... that was after drinking a bunch of vodka red bulls not a vasectomy on my balls... always confusing the two...

It was about 3 weeks, but I had no bruising or swelling. I actually sat on the bike after about 10 days with no discomfort but was too chicken to ride just in case I damaged something.

About four weeks. Just make sure the first ride is short and use it as a test. If there is no discomfort then try longer rides. Now a vesectomey reversal is another matter all together. I was off the bike for six months. Best advice: Make sure you want the vasectomey because the reversal can become a nightmare.

I waited nine days and rode for about 25 minutes. I didn't seem to have any increased swelling until riding a a few days after than when I rode for an hour. That made the vas deferens area (well what's left of them) swell a bit, but it wasn't painful. At that point I started riding every day again so the swelling remained for maybe 10 days or so. Now that it's six and a half weeks later completely back to normal.

Do a 10 minute ride, get off the bike, and see if you notice anything different if you're real worried. You'll be fine. Just take it easy.

Jeo

biodiesel said:
Waited till the drugs wore off and rode home that night.

No wait... that was after drinking a bunch of vodka red bulls not a vasectomy on my balls... always confusing the two...
BWAHAHAHAaaaahhhhhhhhh......

I think I'd have been better riding that day than later on...pushed it a little this weekend and feels like the berries have been in a blender.

Looks like a couple weeks for me.....:( :(

teamgomez said:
Staring at a bike in the corner and some nasty bruising somewhere else :eek:

How long did it take for those of you who've taken the boyz to the butcher to get back in the saddle? It has been 6 days since the op and the thought of getting back in the saddle still has me cringing like Martha looking at a prison restroom.

Thoughts, comments and smart remarks appreciated
Had mine on a Friday, was riding the 10 miles to work on the Monday.

I was in the early years of a long stretch off my bike, so I didn't ride a bike for about 20 years after my vasectomy. At that point there was no discomfort from the vasectomy, but plenty from the unrelated added weight to the old body... and the old body! :D

BTW - did you guys and gals know that most bikes have indexed shifting now?

Ironfist said:
Had mine on a Friday, was riding the 10 miles to work on the Monday.
They either didn't take enough tissue, your groin has been desensitized through years of saddle time, or your new callsign will be heretoforth be known as "IronBalls".

I'm extraordinarily jealous- the boyz still feel like there's a clamp on 'em and walking/sitting down can be a religous experience at times.

My appointment with Dr. Snippy was 6 days ago and I just finished 20 miles. I would have gone yesterday if it wasn't raining. Today I took it easy, chose a route with traffic lights for some starting & stopping to get a good amount of time off the saddle, and (luckily?) got a flat at 15 miles which gave me a nice break as well. Hopefully I don't swell up like melons tonight.

I've read some horror stories in other posts. My doc said that his most frequent comment from guys in follow up appointments is that "it isn't as bad as I expected" and thus far I'd have to agree.

1 day. Went out for a quick 20 miles. I also mowed the lawn about an hour after the procedure. The doctor used the scalpelless technique on me. No stitches. I highly recommend anyone looking to gat a vasectomy to look into this technique.

Steve_in_NH said:
1 day. Went out for a quick 20 miles. I also mowed the lawn about an hour after the procedure. The doctor used the scalpelless technique on me. No stitches. I highly recommend anyone looking to gat a vasectomy to look into this technique.
You're a champ. All I was doing on the day of the surgery was laying in bed with an ice pack watching TV. I too had the "no-stitches" procedure.

As a follow up to my previous post, I've had no problems resulting from riding yesterday.

MCOSR said:
You're a champ. All I was doing on the day of the surgery was laying in bed with an ice pack watching TV. I too had the "no-stitches" procedure.
Amen. It was the only experience I can imagine making me think to myself, "really, what would make me feel much better is to ice up the boys downstairs."

But to answer the original question - I think it was just a couple weeks, just for good measure. What helped me recondition was the 4 trips back to the lab to test for a successful procedure.:eek: "...sorry, Mr D, come back after tossing off 30 more times. You seem to have a few little guys stuck in there." Both my bro-in-law and a friend sired another child after the V because they didn't do the work afterward to get the stragglers out. And to be honest, so much of that will keep you out of the saddle, too!