How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been killed?

Alan Holmes

Guest
Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

Alan

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:33:50 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:

> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>
> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

Now, now Alan. Playing the judge who asked "Who are the Beatles?" is
your normal role here. Aggravated Trolling is not.

Mike (Expecting "What is trolling?" response....)

Response to Mike Causer:
> Now, now Alan. Playing the judge who asked "Who are the Beatles?" is
> your normal role here. Aggravated Trolling is not.

PWP is my guess.

--
Mark, UK
"History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Causer wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:33:50 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>>
>> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
>> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

>Now, now Alan. Playing the judge who asked "Who are the Beatles?" is
>your normal role here. Aggravated Trolling is not.

I did vaguely wonder if some of his recent posts were forgeries - his
style really does seem to have changed. I haven't bothered examining
headers though, and it's more likely he's just sulking because no one
took his Olympic standard touring times seriously.

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:33:50 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>>
>> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
>> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while, for
about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
suddenly appeared?

Alan

Alan Holmes wrote:

> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.

www.cyclehelmets.org is the place, get reading.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:

> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while, for
> about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
> suddenly appeared?

Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Alan Holmes wrote:
> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>
> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

BugBear

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>
> > I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

> Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
> in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.

The speed he goes, is it any wonder he can't read it?

--
Dave...

> Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

> Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
> in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.
>
> www.cyclehelmets.org is the place, get reading.

And that will tell me everything I have asked?

Alan

> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:
>
>> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
>> for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
>> suddenly appeared?

> Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
> look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

I wasn't aware that there had been any threads on this subject!

How do I find them?

Alan

> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>>
>> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
>> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

> TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

So you don't think it important for people to know whether they are at risk?

> BugBear

"Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:
>
>> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
>> for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
>> suddenly appeared?

> Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
> look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

Just found some, will read!

Thank you, at last a sensible post.

> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:33:50 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>>>
>>> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
>>> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
> for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
> suddenly appeared?

This is a highly political issue, as I'm sure you know. A few small scale
studies have claimed, on the basis of fairly poor statistics, that helmet
wearing should make an enormous difference to cyclist safety. Much larger
studies based on places which have introduced mandatory helmet legislation
show that helmet wearing makes no difference or else makes things
marginally worse. For more information - not unbiased, but nevertheless
linking to the majority of the available material both pro and anti - see
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
;; doing it for money, stop now.
;; Rainer Deyke

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:21:59 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>> Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
>>>
>>> How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
>>> injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

>> TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

>So you don't think it important for people to know whether they are at risk?

People know.

You (apparently) don't.

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

>> Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
>> in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.
>>
>> www.cyclehelmets.org is the place, get reading.

> And that will tell me everything I have asked?

Yup.

but you have to be able to understand it.

It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:
>>
>>> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
>>> for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have
>>> they suddenly appeared?

>> Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
>> look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

> Just found some, will read!
>
> Thank you, at last a sensible post.

htfwyk?

It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:21:59 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

>>So you don't think it important for people to know whether they are at
>>risk?
>>

> People know.
>
> You (apparently) don't.

You seem not to understand what I am asking, it's very simple really, am I
at more risk when not wearing a helmet than when wearing one, how many times
will I fall off a cycle and damage my head?

Alan

"burt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
>>> look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

>> Just found some, will read!
>>
>> Thank you, at last a sensible post.

> htfwyk?

Sorry I don't understand cantonese.

Alan

> It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
> Try SPAMfighter for free now!

> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
>> for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
>> suddenly appeared?

> This is a highly political issue, as I'm sure you know. A few small scale
> studies have claimed, on the basis of fairly poor statistics, that helmet
> wearing should make an enormous difference to cyclist safety. Much larger
> studies based on places which have introduced mandatory helmet legislation
> show that helmet wearing makes no difference or else makes things
> marginally worse. For more information - not unbiased, but nevertheless
> linking to the majority of the available material both pro and anti - see
> http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

Thanks.