slime is great and 'how many helmets ?'

Señor Chris wrote on 07/04/2007 12:36 +0100:

> I personally have never worn a helmet while cycling, and never will. No
> chance.

You don't need to; Dundonald is wearing one for you. According to Crook
& Feikh his helmet will also protect someone else from head injuries so
it might as well be you ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com>typed

> > Sorry chums!

> Helen, there is no credible evidence that replying to someone who makes
> this kind of assertion will provide a net health benefit to this
> newsgroup, as the small increase in the safety of that person due to a
> greater awareness of risk assessment and reduction in complacency could
> easily be outweighed by the greater stress and anxiety caused to other
> newsgroup readers by yet another helmet flamewar.

You are right, of course. I can't let such 'commonsense' remain unchallenged.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com>typed
>
>>> Sorry chums!

>> Helen, there is no credible evidence that replying to someone who makes
>> this kind of assertion will provide a net health benefit to this
>> newsgroup, as the small increase in the safety of that person due to a
>> greater awareness of risk assessment and reduction in complacency could
>> easily be outweighed by the greater stress and anxiety caused to other
>> newsgroup readers by yet another helmet flamewar.

> You are right, of course. I can't let such 'commonsense' remain unchallenged.

I wasn't right enough to put it succinctly, though. :(

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Helen, there is no credible evidence that replying to someone who makes
> this kind of assertion will provide a net health benefit to this
> newsgroup, as the small increase in the safety of that person due to a
> greater awareness of risk assessment and reduction in complacency could
> easily be outweighed by the greater stress and anxiety caused to other
> newsgroup readers by yet another helmet flamewar.

<G>

I've seen quite a few conversions resulting from (repeated) replies to
people who make this kind of assertion. Even if Guy had been the *only*
convert, I think the effort he's put into researching and spreading the
word could be enough to make it all worthwhile.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

mr p wrote:

> OK managed to put a new spoke in from an old wheel ( had to take the
> disc off ) and I am totally amazed by how straight I've managed to get
> the wheel now.. just with an adjustable spanner and 20 mins of work !
> looks like I wont be buying a new bike after all :).

The money you have saved from not buying a new wheel, use some of it to
buy a nipple key, even if is a one size fit all job e.g.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tOrderID=0&f_bct=c003154c003148c003523m005614
Park Spoke Wrench Sw7 Multi-size (£8.95)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2t6537

On 6 Apr, 23:48, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dundonald" <[email protected]>typed
>
> > I personally will not risk riding my cycle without wearing my helmet.
> > No chance.

> Oh dear! There is no credible evidence that a flimsy plastic hat will
> give significant protection against a serious head injury.

Credible evidence available or not I'm not concerned with. The fact
that I have an additional layer between my head and tarmac (or any
other surface that my head could potentially impact with) is good
enough for me.

> Sorry chums!

No need to be sorry, you're entitled to your opinion.

On 7 Apr, 20:33, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]>typed
>

> > > Sorry chums!

> > Helen, there is no credible evidence that replying to someone who makes
> > this kind of assertion will provide a net health benefit to this
> > newsgroup, as the small increase in the safety of that person due to a
> > greater awareness of risk assessment and reduction in complacency could
> > easily be outweighed by the greater stress and anxiety caused to other
> > newsgroup readers by yet another helmet flamewar.

> You are right, of course. I can't let such 'commonsense' remain unchallenged.

I must stress that there is no flaming from me at all. I simply
stated that I wouldn't cycle without wearing a helmet. Everyone else
is perfectly entitled to either wear or not wear a helmet themselves.
I'm not going to argue either way.

On 7 Apr, 12:36, Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dundonald wrote:
> > On 6 Apr, 22:36, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I think It is because they think cycling unsafe,

> > It is! If you come off through your own actions or from an others,
> > and land on your head without a helmet, it's going to hurt and could
> > easily be fatal!

> It isn't! If you use your head for thinking instead of for landing on,
> cycling is totally safe!
>

> > I personally will not risk riding my cycle without wearing my helmet.
> > No chance.

> I personally have never worn a helmet while cycling, and never will. No
> chance.

Fair enough fella, each to their own. Happy cycling.

Dundonald wrote on 08/04/2007 00:22 +0100:

> Credible evidence available or not I'm not concerned with. The fact
> that I have an additional layer between my head and tarmac (or any
> other surface that my head could potentially impact with) is good
> enough for me.

Even if the credible evidence is it either does nothing or makes matters
worse? As you say, it's your head and your choice.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:26:08 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Dundonald wrote on 08/04/2007 00:22 +0100:
>
>> Credible evidence available or not I'm not concerned with. The fact
>> that I have an additional layer between my head and tarmac (or any
>> other surface that my head could potentially impact with) is good
>> enough for me.
>>

>Even if the credible evidence is it either does nothing or makes matters
>worse? As you say, it's your head and your choice.

A few days ago you started a thread whining about the state of this group and
the 'argumentative nit-pickers'.

Now it looks as if you are deliberately trying to start yet another pointless
argument.

The OP stated his opinion and has been given further information.

It's entirely up to him how he makes use of that information.

Why do you have to come back with smartarse comments that you *know* are not
going to achieve anything other than possibly start another spat?

Ziggy criticized:
> A few days ago you started a thread whining about the state of this group and
> the 'argumentative nit-pickers'.

<snip>
> Why do you have to come back with smartarse comments that you *know* are not
> going to achieve anything other than possibly start another spat?

The above reads like argumentative nit-picking to me :p

Anyway, ISTM that the comment was probably intended to make Dundonald
think. Which IMO is worthwhile.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

In article <[email protected]>,
Dundonald
[email protected] says...
> On 6 Apr, 23:48, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Dundonald" <[email protected]>typed
> >
> > > I personally will not risk riding my cycle without wearing my helmet.
> > > No chance.

> > Oh dear! There is no credible evidence that a flimsy plastic hat will
> > give significant protection against a serious head injury.

> Credible evidence available or not I'm not concerned with. The fact
> that I have an additional layer between my head and tarmac (or any
> other surface that my head could potentially impact with) is good
> enough for me.

You've not heard about the increased risk of rotational brain injury
then? This can be a lot more serious than impact injury from the same
sort of fall.

Rob Morley <[email protected]>typed

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dundonald
> [email protected] says...
> > On 6 Apr, 23:48, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > "Dundonald" <[email protected]>typed

> > > Oh dear! There is no credible evidence that a flimsy plastic hat will
> > > give significant protection against a serious head injury.

> > Credible evidence available or not I'm not concerned with. The fact
> > that I have an additional layer between my head and tarmac (or any
> > other surface that my head could potentially impact with) is good
> > enough for me.
> >

> You've not heard about the increased risk of rotational brain injury
> then? This can be a lot more serious than impact injury from the same
> sort of fall.

Not to speak of the potential for a fractured larynx (potentially
instantly fatal) or exacerbating a neck injury...

--

On 7 Apr 2007 16:25:28 -0700, Dundonald wrote:

> On 7 Apr, 20:33, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]>typed

>>> Helen, there is no credible evidence that replying to someone who makes
>>> this kind of assertion will provide a net health benefit to this
>>> newsgroup, as the small increase in the safety of that person due to a
>>> greater awareness of risk assessment and reduction in complacency could
>>> easily be outweighed by the greater stress and anxiety caused to other
>>> newsgroup readers by yet another helmet flamewar.

>> You are right, of course. I can't let such 'commonsense' remain unchallenged.

> I must stress that there is no flaming from me at all. I simply
> stated that I wouldn't cycle without wearing a helmet. Everyone else
> is perfectly entitled to either wear or not wear a helmet themselves.
> I'm not going to argue either way.

Yes but -

The PTB have stated they they will introduce helmet legislation when a
sufficient proportion of the populace is already wearing them; your
decision to do so is to the future detriment of all the rest of us.

And quite possible to your own as well; seing as the wearing of a helmet
may well actually be a danger, overall...

On 8 Apr, 10:21, [email protected] (Ziggy) wrote:
>> A few days ago you started a thread whining about the state of this group and

> the 'argumentative nit-pickers'.
>
> Now it looks as if you are deliberately trying to start yet another pointless
> argument.

And you still haven't withdrawn your anti motorcyclist propaganda when
it is clear that such a phobia is of no use to cyclsts.

mr p wrote:

> PS. counting the lids again today.. definiatly a fashion thing, esp.
> the little kids with the straps undone !!

That's not fashion. That's their parents telling them they have to
wear them.

Which is because their parents know nothing about cycling - not even
how to fit a helmet properly.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

in message <[email protected]>, mr p
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Finally ( thirdly !) one of the spokes in my front wheel broke today
> and the wheel is rather wonky now.. I've often thought the wheels
> could be better, if I were to invest in a new pair to replace the
> ( presumably machine made ) ones that came with the bike, would they
> likely stay straighter / be stronger ? Should I struggle to true this
> one up as much as possible with a new spoke or maybe take it to a
> pro ?

Putting a new spoke in and retrueing the wheel is not difficult and is a
very rewarding repair to do. The new spoke will cost you under a quid, but
you might want to invest in a good spoke key. A truing stand does make
things easier but is not worth it unless you expect to do this sort of
thing often - you can perfectly well true the wheel in the forks if you
just turn the bike upside down. You may find it easier to take the disk
off first (depending which side the broken spoke is) in which case be sure
you tighten it properly when you put it back!

in message <[email protected]>,
Dundonald ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 6 Apr, 22:36, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
>> mr p wrote:
>> > OK two posts in one here, sorry..

>> > I was out cycling my MTB on the New Forest tracks today and I have
>> > never seen so many other cyclists.. some days I can get around the
>> > whole forest with out seeing another cyclist. I am wandering what this
>> > obsession with helmets is these days though, it must be a fashion
>> > thing from what I read !

>> I think It is because they think cycling unsafe,

> It is! If you come off through your own actions or from an others,
> and land on your head without a helmet, it's going to hurt and could
> easily be fatal!

Bollocks.

I've fallen off mountain bikes certainly hundreds of times. The worst
injury I've ever had in a mountain bike accident is a slightly gazed knee,
and my head has very rarely even touched the ground.

>>many of them will be
>> weekend cyclists.
>> Or those who have restarted cycling after a long period not on a bike
>> and have been to a local toy shop and been persuaded to buy a plastic
>> hat with the bike.

> I personally will not risk riding my cycle without wearing my helmet.
> No chance.

I've ridden nearer two hundred thousand miles than one. I've only ever had
one bad accident, and I didn't hit my head then.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

in message <[email protected]>,
Dundonald ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 6 Apr, 23:48, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Dundonald" <[email protected]>typed
>>
>> > I personally will not risk riding my cycle without wearing my helmet.
>> > No chance.

>> Oh dear! There is no credible evidence that a flimsy plastic hat will
>> give significant protection against a serious head injury.

> Credible evidence available or not I'm not concerned with. The fact
> that I have an additional layer between my head and tarmac (or any
> other surface that my head could potentially impact with) is good
> enough for me.
>
>> Sorry chums!

> No need to be sorry, you're entitled to your opinion.

Everyone, just don't! I've no idea whether this guy is a troll or just an
idiot, but we don't need to do the whole helmet thing again.

;; We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
;; languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their
;; pockets for new vocabulary -- James D. Nicoll