How many miles?

Bruce Johnston

Guest
I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike since high school which was when I
started getting serious about climbing. This included everything, races, training rides, trainer at
home, etc. I was riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to remember and count
the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How many miles? What's your guest? I bet
most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?

B-

>From: "Bruce Johnston" [email protected]

>I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
>lifetime?
>
>B-

I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most miles. Bill C

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike since high school which was when I
> started getting serious about climbing. This included everything, races, training rides, trainer
> at home, etc. I was riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to remember and
> count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How many miles? What's your guest?
> I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are
between
> 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?

I conservatively estimate the equivalent of at least 250,000.

Andy Coggan

> >From: "Bruce Johnston" [email protected]
>
> >I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
> >lifetime?
> >
> >B-
>
> I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most miles. Bill C

Maybe Henry or Carl, how about Bob Schwartz?

On 11/15/03 6:05 PM, in article [email protected], "Bruce Johnston"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> From: "Bruce Johnston" [email protected]
>>
>>> I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
>>> lifetime?
>>>
>>> B-
>>
>> I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most miles. Bill C
>
> Maybe Henry or Carl, how about Bob Schwartz?

My bet would be Kunich...............

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Bruce Johnston wrote:
> 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?

Of course a lot more, myself.

Sergio Pisa

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike since high school which was when I
> > started getting serious about climbing. This included everything, races, training rides, trainer
> > at home, etc. I was riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to remember
and
> > count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How many miles? What's your
> > guest? I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are
> between
> > 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?
>
> I conservatively estimate the equivalent of at least 250,000.
>
> Andy Coggan

Between 250,000 and 300,000 miles = 25 years of racing, plus a few years before and after, with most
racing years around 10,000 per year.

Or as I like to say - about half a million kilometers.

-Bruce

Our club member Dan Tonelli has close to 300,000 and there is one guy in the US who has well over
1,000,000.

> >From: "Bruce Johnston" [email protected]
>
> >I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
> >lifetime?
> >
> >B-
>
> I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most
miles.
> Bill C

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike
since high
> > school which was when I started getting serious about climbing.
This
> > included everything, races, training rides, trainer at home, etc.
I was
> > riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to
remember and
> > count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How
many
> > miles? What's your guest? I bet most of the older roadies on RBR
are
> between
> > 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?
>
> I conservatively estimate the equivalent of at least 250,000.
>
> Andy Coggan

Andy, Dan Tonelli was riding a century three times a week to put together the 250,000+ mileage he
has. He is about 42 or so.

Nah, I only returned to bicycles in the late 80's and I have something like 60,000.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BBDC1C2B.74CA2%[email protected]...
> On 11/15/03 6:05 PM, in article [email protected],
"Bruce
> Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most
miles.
> >> Bill C
> >
> > Maybe Henry or Carl, how about Bob Schwartz?
> >

> My bet would be Kunich...............

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike since high school which was when I
> started getting serious about climbing. This included everything, races, training rides, trainer
> at home, etc. I was riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to remember and
> count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How many miles? What's your guest?
> I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
> lifetime?

I'm not that old (32), but I've been riding for the past 15 years with only a couple of relatively
short breaks. I've always liked riding lots of kilometres, so even in the early years I was doing
20,000km/yr. The last six years would be close to the 30,000km/yr mark, so a fairly conservative
estimate would be 350,000km/220,000mi. That's a hell of a lot of food.

Jeff

No, Million Mile Freddy. Contrary to comon belief it is extremely hard to put in over 150,000 miles
on a bike in a lifetime. People who really push hard over a long period of time are rare. There are
some racers who put in some pretty phenomenal mileage during their careers but they have short
careers and they stop riding when they leave racing.

Consider, 200 mile weeks is only 10,200 mile years. When was the last time you did a 10,000 mile
year? I live in an area with great weather and even when I was off work the best year I put in was a
little less than 7,000 miles.

I average something like 5,000 miles a year and that would take me 40 years without a bad year to
achieve 200,000 miles.

When you hear people talking about long miles they usually don't really have any evidence such as
logs and notes. Million Mile Freddy and Dan Tonelli have ride logs that note every single ride
they've ever done.

Dan used to get up early and ride 50 miles, then go to work and then after he got off work he would
ride another 50 just to get a 20,000 mile year because he was competing against another guy in our
club (who broke down and died BTW) for one year high mileage. Now it's true that Dan's a fair
weather rider but in the San Francisco bay area you only lose 20 days a year to rain and most of
those are work days.

If someone like Tonelli can expect to make a lifetime mileage of 400,000 miles you can bet that most
mileage claims are pure hot air.

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Tom Kunich"
>
> >there is one guy in the US who has well over 1,000,000.
>
> Scott Dickson?
>
> From: <http://www.milly.org/hkingman/pbp_history.html> or
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/v86z>
>
> << American Scott Dickson began his glory years by placing third in
1979, though
> at just less than 49 hours he was four hours behind the winners. In
1983 he
> again came third, this time by only one hour. He won his first PBP
in 1987 by
> breaking away in Brest, aided by a strong tailwind and a few strong
riders from
> the "touring" group, which that year started many hours before the
"racing"
> group. Dickson also won in 1991 and in 1995.>>
>
> Known "back when" for cranking out 100 miles a day, every day.
Probably missed
> a few. --Tom Paterson

On 11/16/2003 10:52 AM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> From: "Tom Kunich"
>
>> there is one guy in the US who has well over 1,000,000.
>
> Scott Dickson?

Freddie Hoffman

http://www.holyname.org/mc/bhl/hero_jul2003.pdf

> From: <http://www.milly.org/hkingman/pbp_history.html> or
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/v86z>
>
> << American Scott Dickson began his glory years by placing third in 1979, though at just less than
> 49 hours he was four hours behind the winners. In 1983 he again came third, this time by only one
> hour. He won his first PBP in 1987 by breaking away in Brest, aided by a strong tailwind and a few
> strong riders from the "touring" group, which that year started many hours before the "racing"
> group. Dickson also won in 1991 and in 1995.>>
>
> Known "back when" for cranking out 100 miles a day, every day. Probably missed a few. --Tom
> Paterson

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike since high school which was when I
> > started getting serious about climbing. This included everything, races, training rides, trainer
> > at home, etc. I was riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to remember
and
> > count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How many miles? What's your
> > guest? I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are
between
> > 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?
> >
> I'm not that old (32), but I've been riding for the past 15 years with only a couple of relatively
> short breaks. I've always liked riding lots of kilometres, so even in the early years I was doing
> 20,000km/yr. The last six years would be close to the 30,000km/yr mark, so a fairly conservative
> estimate would be 350,000km/220,000mi. That's a hell of a lot of food.
>
> Jeff

Skip breakfast and lunch and dinner will taste so much better. 220,000mi., that's impressive!

B-

> No, Million Mile Freddy. Contrary to comon belief it is extremely hard to put in over 150,000
> miles on a bike in a lifetime. People who really push hard over a long period of time are rare.
> There are some racers who put in some pretty phenomenal mileage during their careers but they have
> short careers and they stop riding when they leave racing.

How about Longo? I wonder how many miles she has under her belt? How about Merckx?

B-

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Tom Kunich"
>
> >there is one guy in the US who has well over 1,000,000.
>
> Scott Dickson?
>
> From: <http://www.milly.org/hkingman/pbp_history.html> or
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/v86z>
>
> << American Scott Dickson began his glory years by placing third in 1979,
though
> at just less than 49 hours he was four hours behind the winners. In 1983
he
> again came third, this time by only one hour. He won his first PBP in 1987
by
> breaking away in Brest, aided by a strong tailwind and a few strong riders
from
> the "touring" group, which that year started many hours before the
"racing"
> group. Dickson also won in 1991 and in 1995.>>
>
> Known "back when" for cranking out 100 miles a day, every day. Probably
missed
> a few. --Tom Paterson

Now known as Scott Dickson, Ph.D.

Andy Coggan

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >From: "Bruce Johnston" [email protected]
> >
> > >I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
> > >lifetime?
> > >
> > >B-
> >
> > I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most miles. Bill C
>
> Maybe Henry or Carl, how about Bob Schwartz?

Not me, I'll guess I've got less than 150,000. Not many miles in the last few years.

Nice picture of Freddy. But they did make a decimal point error in his high year's mileage. I don't
believe he managed to average almost 1400 mile per day for one year.

news:BBDD3CFF.16F3B%[email protected]...