How many of you carry Pepper Spray/Mace as part of your cycling gear?

I have carried pepper spray and used it on a dog. The dog cried so badly after I hit him in the eyes, that I felt sorry for him. I know what it's like, too because I got sprayed by the stoker on a husband and wife tandem that I was following. She missed the dog, but the wind carried it into my face. It was a good thing I was wearing sun glasses.

Once witnessed an event where a jogger (whose dog wasn't on a leash) kicked a rottweiler (that was on a leash) because it was "threatening his dog". The rottweiler didn't even seem to notice that he'd been kicked. That guy really put his weight into it, too! ...the rottweiler's owner then turned it loose to chase the other dog and kicking jogger away. I thought the event was comical. Thinking about it again now still makes me chuckle. You can't imagine the look of surprise on that jogger's face when his foot landing on that rottweiler went completely unnoticed (except by the owner).

I've never really had a problem with dogs, but I think that if I'm being chased by a big dog like that, the best solution is to ride away as quickly as I can!

As to the original post: I carry water, a mobile phone, and maybe some cash or my wallet.

I was riding in the country and had a rottweiler dart out of a yard into my path. I was running 25. I thought it was all over, but I hit the dog, knocked him over, and my bike just rolled right over him, and I stayed up. Talk about a miracle.

I own a small bike shop and have sold exactly one can of Halt Dog Repellent in the last six months. My advise is to get an old school frame fit pump ( Silca) and an old heavy chrome steel Campy head on the end and hit the dog right in the mouth with it. If the dog is really viscious and you cannot manage to outrun it, and somehow it forces you off your bike be sure to put the bike in between you and the dog for protection. If the dog bites you be sure and call the authorities to report it.

I carry a Mt. Zefal frame pump. I still have a bike that has a built-in pump peg. I had a little but heavily built dog come after me several months ago. I knew if I hit him, I was going down so I dismounted. He kept coming after me to bite me. I pulled the pump. He thought it was a stick and kept his distance. I then remounted and rode away. Then 15 minutes later, I hear loud beeping and yelling out the window of a car as it passes me. The driver yells for me to pull over. I pull into a drive way and ask the guy what his problem is. By then, I had forgotten about the dog. It is the dog's owner. His wife looked out the window and saw the incident, but thinks my bike pump is a big stick that I have just hit the dog with. I explain to this 5 foot tall midget with a cigarette having out of his mouth that I have a pump and never hit the dog, but it was used to keep the dog at bay, a dog that he should have control of because it's going to get killed on that street. He then apologizes, but the guy was an idiot. I could have been a real bad ass and there could have been a big fight over the incident. I have some friends who would not have been as diplomatic as I was. I live in an area that has a lot of military. I have ridden with Navy Seals, Marine Recon, Army Rangers. He's lucky, they weren't riding with me.

Always. I also carry a taser which is not meant for dogs. I carry these for my personal protection against muggers and potential road rage incidents. I've been fortunate enough not to have to deal with any rottweilers and the like. Most folks keep their animals fenced inside their properties.

Always. I also carry a taser which is not meant for dogs. I carry these for my personal protection against muggers and potential road rage incidents. I've been fortunate enough not to have to deal with any rottweilers and the like. Most folks keep their animals fenced inside their properties.

It sounds like you live in the city. Fences, though smart, are not always erected in the country. I especially have to watch the houses that are built right on the road and grown up ditches. I have had dogs jump from the cover of uncut ditches to ambush me, while the owner laughed about it. Remember when you get in an altercation with dog owners, it's always your fault because you came by the house to aggravate the dog. You don't know how many times I have heard that expression.

I carry it as a general rule whether I'm cycling or not. I have had to use it on foot on a few occasions, but not cycling. Not yet anyway.

Remember when you get in an altercation with dog owners, it's always your fault because you came by the house to aggravate the dog. You don't know how many times I have heard that expression.

I have only heard it one time...from the mouth of the owner of the dog I had just nearly crashed into. The owner that wanted to 'fight' because I only rode by his house in order to upset his mutt.

I think I will purchase pepper spray and a gun later on. Haha. You can never be too careful. One of my cousins nearly got mauled by a dog and someone on a website said he might of been teasing it. We have leash laws! The dog was untied, running loose! This was on the news by the way. The owner was a crazy farmer.

Only "weapon" I carry is a U-lock. I keep it in my handlebar bag for easy access. If I need to defend myself, one swing will buy me enough time to get away.