how often do you service your bike?

baikinman

Apr 1, 2005
I have 800kms of commuting on the bike since the last service, everything is running ok although the brakes and gears need some adjusting. I clean the bike each week and got to wondering how often people serivce there bike.

I know this is not an exact science question and there is no one answer but how often do you service your bike, or how many km's do you do between services (not including a trip to the shop for something broken).

baikinman said:
I have 800kms of commuting on the bike since the last service, everything is running ok although the brakes and gears need some adjusting. I clean the bike each week and got to wondering how often people serivce there bike.

I know this is not an exact science question and there is no one answer but how often do you service your bike, or how many km's do you do between services (not including a trip to the shop for something broken).

I get mine done about every year for a general service.

This is just my opinion. But apart from the headset maintenance, bottom bracket/ crank maintenance/repair, the other parts of the bikes are relatively easy to service on a regular basis.

Just wondering what does a general service include?

I have not had very good experience with bike mechanics in my area. And I think I dont really trust them.

A general service includes adjustments and greasing to the cranks and head set, adjustment and cleaning of deraileurs and brakes, cleaning of chain and cassette and inspection of wear and tear. Costs about $40.
I have had no trouble with my bike mechanic.

Craig Strong said:

A general service includes adjustments and greasing to the cranks and head set, adjustment and cleaning of deraileurs and brakes, cleaning of chain and cassette and inspection of wear and tear. Costs about $40.
I have had no trouble with my bike mechanic.
Bikes don't need "services" in the way that a car does. Each maintenance job has its own cycle.
Chain: clean and relubricate whenever it gets very dirty or starts to dry out a bit (every week or so for me). Always relubricate after rides in the wet. Check length every few months.
Cassette: clean when it gets filthy, every few months.
Brakes: don't take them apart unless they're not working properly or the pads are worn through. Tighten the barrel adjusters as necessary. Check that the pads are on the rim and that the rims are not excessively worn.
Wheels: check that they are true and round every few weeks or after hard knocks. Feel for loose spokes. Retrue only as necessary, but if it needs retruing do this promptly.
Hubs: repack when they start to feel dry (for me, less often than annually).
Bottom bracket: doesn't need anything done in advance of trouble apart from an occasional wipe over, unless you have a cup and cone type.
Headset: as for BB.
If you do each little job as it comes up, and most are quick and simple, you won't ever need to visit the LBS except after disasters. Trueing wheels takes a little bit of nerve, although it is easy in most cases, so you may choose to leave that one for the mechanic.

baikinman said:

This is quite an open question. Personally, I have never taken my bike to a bike shop for a 'service'.

On a weekly-fortnightly basis, you should:
clean and lube chain/drivetrain
check brakes for operation and pad wear
check wheels
check headset
check gears/cables
check/tighten all bolts.............. and make adjustments to above if needed

A lot of this is just a look over. The only partly time consuming thing would be drivetrain maintenance, as there is no point just pouring lube over a dirty drivetrain.
After a wet ride or race, I do a full clean with water and detergent, degrease chain etc.

The only time I take the bike to the shop for anything mechanically related is if there is something I need to be done which I can't do, or don't have the tools for, such as servicing forks or taking of a cluster.

A little bit of maintenance goes a long way in saving costs at the LBS. If you aren't sure of how to do things like adjust derailleurs, get a good book on bicycle maintenance and learn from that. Then if you make a big stuff up, take it to the shop.

HTH

i also think it may depend on the quality of your parts...

and how well you expect your bike to run

unlike a car, there is no real damage to your bike if you don't do a service at specified intervals.... as long as you are keeping it clean and everything is working ok