How often should you clean your chain

Tazza> On a road bike how often should I clean my chain ?

Probably a lot more often than I do.

Every second day, which is about every 100 Ks or so, I wipe down my
chain, oil it, let it soak for five minutes while I pump up my tires,
fill my water etc, and wipe it down again.

Seems to work for me although I'm probably the last person to ask about
*cough* cleaning *cough* a bike. The rest of the bike has largely been
untouched since the onset of winter.
--
Cheers
Euan

Tazza said:
On a road bike how often should I clean my chain ?

Clean it when it gets dirty. If you never ride in the rain, you can go a month (or longer, I've heard). If you ride in the rain, you will probably need to clean and relube every day (as I had to this week :( )

Ritch

Tazza said:
On a road bike how often should I clean my chain ?

It depends on how much you ride, the environmental conditions you ride in, they type of lube you use and to some degree the age of the chain.

Here in Santa Cruz, the conditions can get pretty wet and dirty during the winter and dusty during the summer. There is also quite a bit of salt water in the air. Meaning, chain and bike get cleaned at least once a week.

On the lube front, I was a big fan of White Lightning till I discovered ProLink. Then, about two months ago, I found Purple Extreme. I ride at least twice further on Purple Extreme than with ProLink (usually about 200-250 miles on one application).

Hope this helps.

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 05:03:22 +1000, Tazza wrote:

> On a road bike how often should I clean my chain ?

Depends.

On my commuter, which only rides the bitumen to the
train station, and then Central to the Sydney CBD,
it almost never needs cleaning.

On the weekend bike (aka touring bike) it tends to
get a bit more crud from riding on sections of dirt
road, grass on the side of bike-paths, etc.

If you rub your finger along it, and it comes off
black and greasy, clean it.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: [email protected])

<[email protected]> wrote >

> Every second day, which is about every 100 Ks or so, I wipe down my
> chain, oil it, let it soak for five minutes while I pump up my tires,
> fill my water etc, and wipe it down again.

Every second day, where on earth do you find time to do this!!!! You don't
have young children do you?

Bjay

"bjay" <[email protected]> wrote
> <[email protected]> wrote >
> > Every second day, which is about every 100 Ks or so, I wipe down my
> > chain, oil it, let it soak for five minutes while I pump up my tires,
> > fill my water etc, and wipe it down again.

> Every second day, where on earth do you find time to do this!!!! You

don't
> have young children do you?

Must be a typo.. surely he means "every second year"? ;-)

hippy

>> > Every second day, which is about every 100 Ks or so, I wipe down my
>> > chain, oil it, let it soak for five minutes while I pump up my tires,
>> > fill my water etc, and wipe it down again.

>> Every second day, where on earth do you find time to do this!!!! You

> don't
>> have young children do you?

> Must be a typo.. surely he means "every second year"? ;-)
>
> hippy

Ahh yes, that would make more sense. . . . . . he doesn't ride very far in a
year does he? :)

bjay

when I hear my chain while I pedal along, i lube.
but I can never get the right amount to put on. I use some squeeze bottle silicon lube & when it goes on it's clear. The next day (after the commute to/from) it icky black & gunky, so I run the chain through an old T-shirt or sock to clean it back a few revolutions.

bjay> <[email protected]> wrote >

>> Every second day, which is about every 100 Ks or so, I wipe down
>> my chain, oil it, let it soak for five minutes while I pump up my
>> tires, fill my water etc, and wipe it down again.

bjay> Every second day, where on earth do you find time to do
bjay> this!!!! You don't have young children do you?

Well there's ``cleaning'' and there's ``cleaning''.

By cleaning I mean wiping off all the crud picked up in the last few
days, lubing liberally, leaving to soak for five minutes, then wiping
off all the excess. Takes about ten minutes.

Taking chain off, soaking in paraffin etc; well I've yet to do that. My
chain feels pretty silky smooth so I'm not too worried.

Hope that clears things up :)
--
Cheers
Euan

> By cleaning I mean wiping off all the crud picked up in the last few
> days, lubing liberally, leaving to soak for five minutes, then wiping
> off all the excess. Takes about ten minutes.

That's not cleaning. That's decoration. Wiping off the crud isn't a
bad idea, but you're missing the stuff that's deep in the links, and
that's the stuff that does damage.

> Taking chain off, soaking in paraffin etc; well I've yet to do that. My
> chain feels pretty silky smooth so I'm not too worried.

On my commuter (mainly dry weather, because I don't have enough faith
in Sydney drivers to like riding in the wet, but the odd wet day) I
seem to get somewhere between 500 and 1000km before I need to do much.
There might be the odd relube in that, but I'm fairly sure the last
clean I did only washed off the initial lube, and that was at least
1000km. It was pretty grotty though.

On my MTBs I've had to clean the chain after 10km before. That was a
*very* silly ride. Normally it's about every 100-200km, depending on
what I'm riding through.

If you have 2 chains in rotation you can pull one off, chuck it in a
kero bath, then hang it on the wall to dry. Meanwhile put chain #2 on
and lube it up. Because both chains are wearing evenly they'll match
the sprockets longer, meaning you can get more than twice the normal
life of a single chain (since the sprockets will probably be pretty
worn out by the time two chains are getting dead). Of course, my
commuter gets the hand me downs from the good bikes, so the sprockets
and chains are already pretty cactus. Hence the lack of care in
cleaning...

Dave - who could point out the chain cleaning guide on 26", but that's
too much effort.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected] | [email protected]
Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to