More people cycling more often for a shorter duration

mfhor

New Member
Jun 15, 2004
Psst! I'll let y'all into a deep, dark secret. Confession time. Once (well, more than once), when I was short of cash, I was cajoled into . . . assembling Huffys for K-Mart. Yes, there it is. (Now, where's my 12 step program, SA (Shitebikeassemblers Anonymous))?

The point is, (BTW, don't ever buy an adult Huffy or Royce Union) is there any justification at all for supporting an uncaring monolith like K-Mart, not that they stock much of interest, even though they get people riding at a very basic level? Yes, I know I am as guilty as all get-out in facilitating this, solely for the filthy lucre involved. Mea maximum culpa. I have seen the error of my ways. How do we go about converting people who ride dual-suspension mass-market monsters to something simpler and more pleasant and efficient to ride? Or do a Mike Moore on them, and pressure the retailers to stop filling a market niche with dangerous ****?

Furthermore, what do people think about BV's tactic of offering, free, an analogue of the above type of bike to people who sign up for the GVBR by a certain date? Unassembled? In spite of most bikeshops ardent opposition to the idea, after BV earlier sent out some PR fluff about "building better relationships with the industry"?

I can, as a mechanic (as I may be) on the ride, see some late nights involved, resurrecting some interesting excursions into mechanical ineptitude. I'm not saying that they will be of an equivalent quality to the average Huffy/Dunlop/Northern Star/other horror supermarket special, but that this is another of BV's masterstrokes that has the potential to bite everyone in the glutes, and turn a lot of people off riding in general.

I have nothing against the GVBR, and I think it has done an incredible amount to raise the idea of cycling as a worthwhile way to get around, for fun and profit. But why pander to the 'bike as interchangeable consumer product' idea, like a toaster or a disposable exercise gym, rather than something you get real pleasure from?

PtsOV?

M "bikes can become old friends" H

mfhor said:
[...]

Im not against kmart specials, per se. they get people riding and maybe once it falls apart on them they go and buy a better bike. A mate went thru this exact scenario.
He rides more, so good for him. He saw the difference straight away and loves his new bike.
We at boroondara bug were rather bemused by the free bike from BV. dont know what the quality is but didnt realise it was unassembled! 8O

They are pulling a simialr stunt at the end of the Bay-in-a-day by chargeing bbugs $200 for a space as big as 2 people in a tent. no signage, nobody allowed to hand out bug related pamphlets, etc.
Me thinks Harry Barber has delusions of vast profits and maybe an IPO is in his dreams :)
Seems wierd that they have circumvented the retail industry, but then again the retailers industry could learn form this as they have systematically screwed Australains over th last few years by not handing on the better buying power of the OzDollar and whilst their price from OS goes down, our retail prices stay the same!
So there! Smoke that!!
Now, for your sins you shall have to ride with cotter'd cranks and brakes that dont work :)

Kmart was the only place I could find 26x2.1 tubes for my MTB... $4.80 or
something and seems to have held up over the last few days.. everyone else
wanted to sell me 26x1.75's at $8+ which most have ribbing around the valve
which is no good for the high pressure tyre commute I do...

GPL

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

mfhor said:
How do we go about converting people who ride dual-suspension mass-market monsters to something simpler and more pleasant and efficient to ride? Or do a Mike Moore on them, and pressure the retailers to stop filling a market niche with dangerous ****?

Furthermore, what do people think about BV's tactic of offering, free, an analogue of the above type of bike to people who sign up for the GVBR by a certain date? Unassembled?
I think such bikes, with the discrete sticker that (paraphrased) says DO NOT USE, are insane.
Do they still combine soft iron rims with V-brakes? Braking buckles the wheel!
The Chopper was better than that.

um, is BV thinking that someone who enters early and now has a bike and tries to do the GBVR on it will have a good time?

GPLama said:
Kmart was the only place I could find 26x2.1 tubes for my MTB... $4.80 or
something and seems to have held up over the last few days.. everyone else
wanted to sell me 26x1.75's at $8+ which most have ribbing around the valve
which is no good for the high pressure tyre commute I do...

GPL

>[/color]

Pardon? If you are running high pressures, use a Presta valve tube. Why are you running high pressures in a 2.1" tyre anyway? Stand back, the tyre may blow off the rim . . .:eek:

Trying to put a 1.75" tube into a 2" tyre is no problem. It actually makes it easier. A genuine Bike Shop might have told you this. When the LBS has shut down due to people buying their tubes from a big box retailer down the street, you'll realise that K-Mart bike assemblers (well, with a few exceptions) can't true wheels, align derailleur hangers or service forks.

M "Huffy Gila-phobe" H

mfhor said:
M "Huffy Gila-phobe" H

didnt that 86(?) pursuit team that Dean woods and compradres beat ride Huffy's???
Didnt one of their bikes stuff up or lost a pedal or sometyhing leaving them with 3 riders

dang huffys. make good anchors tho! :D

mfhor said:
Trying to put a 1.75" tube into a 2" tyre is no problem. It actually makes it easier. A genuine Bike Shop might have told you this. When the LBS has shut down due to people buying their tubes from a big box retailer down the street, you'll realise that K-Mart bike assemblers (well, with a few exceptions) can't true wheels, align derailleur hangers or service forks.

I agree.. I used to commute on S-Licks running the smallest tubes that
would fit on the 26" wheels. I wish I could remember the tube size (I'll
have some at home...) but they were certainly not 26x2.x. Your LBS
should have suggested the smaller tubes because if you want speed, the
lighter tubes will be faster (they hold less of that heavy "air" :p).
I'd much rather greedy bike shops get my money than greedy
corporations ;)

hippy

flyingdutch said:
They are pulling a simialr stunt at the end of the Bay-in-a-day by chargeing bbugs $200 for a space as big as 2 people in a tent. no signage, nobody allowed to hand out bug related pamphlets, etc.
Me thinks Harry Barber has delusions of vast profits and maybe an IPO is in his dreams

Hmm, you would be better off convincing your BUG to come along to the Bicycle Australia Show - $77 for a space. YarraBUG are having a crack at having a stall, so is DarebinBUG. Want more details? private msg or email for more.

Regarding the bike package, I generally agreee with the concept, but...

Imagine ordering over the internet, via credit card, the lowest end Hyundai. It is there duly delivered to your door, shrink wrapped on a pallet.

mfhor wrote:
> Trying to put a 1.75" tube into a 2" tyre is no problem. It actually
> makes it easier. A genuine Bike Shop might have told you this. When
> the LBS has shut down due to people buying their tubes from a big box
> retailer down the street, you'll realise that K-Mart bike assemblers
> (well, with a few exceptions) can't true wheels, align derailleur
> hangers or service forks.
>
> M "Huffy Gila-phobe" H

my last bank statement tells me the LBS(s) aren't going out of business in a
hurry.. I wonder when Kmart will start stocking the rest of the equipment I
need.. :)

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Pardon? If you are running high pressures, use a Presta valve tube.

Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way higher
pressures than any bike ever will.

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS said:
Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way higher
pressures than any bike ever will.

really? not sure where I heard/read that the bigger the tyre, inherently the lower the tyre pressure will be...

Where does the saddlebag on an aircraft go? :rolleyes:

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
>>
>> Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way
>> higher
>> pressures than any bike ever will.

> really? not sure where I heard/read that the bigger the tyre,
> inherently the lower the tyre pressure will be...

Aircraft tyres are regularly pumped up to around 250psi.

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS wrote:
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> DRS Wrote:
>>>
>>> Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way
>>> higher
>>> pressures than any bike ever will.

>> really? not sure where I heard/read that the bigger the tyre,
>> inherently the lower the tyre pressure will be...

> Aircraft tyres are regularly pumped up to around 250psi.

wowa.. mark that down as something new for today for me :)

googled this cool link
http://www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tyrecare/dm1172/sect6.htm

DRS said:
"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Pardon? If you are running high pressures, use a Presta valve tube.

Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way higher
pressures than any bike ever will.

--

A: Top-posters.

They are not ordinary schraeder car-tyre type valves in ordinary bike-type tubes. They are manufactured to a much higher standard, to avoid landing impact blowouts. They also hold back a whole lot more air than in bike tyres, so a bit of leakage doesn't go amiss between inflations. Bike tyres hold a fraction of the volume, and so the volume/pressure loss is a lot more noticeable.

Why are you so disagreeable?

M"?!"H

GPLama said:
DRS wrote:
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> DRS Wrote:
>>>
>>> Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way
>>> higher
>>> pressures than any bike ever will.

>> really? not sure where I heard/read that the bigger the tyre,
>> inherently the lower the tyre pressure will be...

> Aircraft tyres are regularly pumped up to around 250psi.

wowa.. mark that down as something new for today for me :)

googled this cool link
http://www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tyrecare/dm1172/sect6.htm

Hey! If aircraft tyres are pumped up to 250psi, why do *I* have to deflate my tyres when I put my bike on the plane - They should deflate *theirs* first.

Nyah!

Ritch

mfhor said:
They are not ordinary schraeder car-tyre type valves in ordinary bike-type tubes. They are manufactured to a much higher standard, to avoid landing impact blowouts. They also hold back a whole lot more air than in bike tyres, so a bit of leakage doesn't go amiss between inflations. Bike tyres hold a fraction of the volume, and so the volume/pressure loss is a lot more noticeable.

Why are you so disagreeable?

M"?!"H

Oh boy. youre turn. Run for the hills...

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> DRS Wrote:
> > "mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >
> > > Pardon? If you are running high pressures, use a Presta valve tube.

> > Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way
> > higher
> > pressures

<snip>

> They are not ordinary schraeder car-tyre type valves in ordinary
> bike-type tubes.

<snip>

> Bike tyres hold a fraction of the volume, and so the
> volume/pressure loss is a lot more noticeable.

I believe the whole presta/high pressure myth is more to do with the ease of
pumping the tyre up especially with a hand pump. There will be far less loss
of air from either presta or schraeder than there is from the walls of the
tube itself.

Even the 'difficulty' of pumping high pressure into schraeder valves is very
subjective. I think it's based on the fact that you are pumping through the
valve against the spring. I've only once noticed problems getting air into a
schraeder valve (100psi into a 26X1.5) and this problem was cured by
replacing the valve core. It was jammed up with something.

If you are using a track pump or compressor you won't notice any problems
getting 100 psi into a schraeder valve.

Cheers
Peter

"ritcho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hey! If aircraft tyres are pumped up to 250psi, why do *I* have to
> deflate my tyres when I put my bike on the plane - They should deflate
> *theirs* first.

What do you pump them up with? Aircraft often use nitrogen...

Cheers
David M

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
>> "mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Pardon? If you are running high pressures, use a Presta valve tube.

>> Rubbish. Aircraft tyres use Schraeder valves and they run at way
>> higher
>> pressures than any bike ever will.

> They are not ordinary schraeder car-tyre type valves in ordinary
> bike-type tubes. They are manufactured to a much higher standard, to
> avoid landing impact blowouts. They also hold back a whole lot more
> air than in bike tyres, so a bit of leakage doesn't go amiss between
> inflations. Bike tyres hold a fraction of the volume, and so the
> volume/pressure loss is a lot more noticeable.
>
> Why are you so disagreeable?

Why do you post nonsense for me to disagree with? This business about
Shraeder valves not being able to handle high pressures is utter ********
and when you or anyone else posts that old myth you're misinforming people
and those of us who know why you're wrong need to set the record straight.
That's not being "disagreeable". You're perfectly happy to trash people you
disagree with so don't you go around worrying about the mote in my eye.

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS said:
so don't you go around worrying about the mote in my eye.

wots a mote?

BTW why how did the 2 types of valve come about?
Was it jut developed in 2 different countries or manufacturers? or was one a reaction to the other?

cheers

FD