How Often to Stretch Question

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
On a regular basis, and specifically when my muscles are feeling a little tight, how often should you stretch on a non-riding day and how long should each rep be for?

I ask because lately I've had some tightness so I've benn stretching through the day, at work, and I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting. I usually stretch a muscle for 30 seconds, maybe 1 or 2 reps on these days, but may do it 3-5 times throughout the day.

I wouldn't classify my muscles as 'warm' when I'm doing these stretches as I'm just sitting around an office, so I wonder if a shorter/lighter stretch is preferrable. Sometimes I want to stretch for longer if something is tight, thinking it will help, but I'm not sure if it does.

Having a warm muscle is ideal. Best to warm up by “rolling” into your activity, once the muscles are warm go for it. Stretching should be done after every workout. No bouncing, or ballistic movements. 30 seconds is normally fine, you should try and get a good stretch 2 or 3 times, like reps for the muscle group you are stretching. For example I nearly always start with my right leg, do the stretches I’m going to do, and move to the left, then back to the right, and so on. I always do two full “sets”, sometimes more.

Like lifting weights kind of change up the order you do the stretches, at the least it breaks it up for your mind.

Stretching on a cold muscle can lead to injury, at the minimum get a 5-10 minute brisk walk in to gets things moving. When stretching on basically cold muscles like this err on the side of caution.

HR

noonievut said:
On a regular basis, and specifically when my muscles are feeling a little tight, how often should you stretch on a non-riding day and how long should each rep be for?

I ask because lately I've had some tightness so I've benn stretching through the day, at work, and I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting. I usually stretch a muscle for 30 seconds, maybe 1 or 2 reps on these days, but may do it 3-5 times throughout the day.

I wouldn't classify my muscles as 'warm' when I'm doing these stretches as I'm just sitting around an office, so I wonder if a shorter/lighter stretch is preferrable. Sometimes I want to stretch for longer if something is tight, thinking it will help, but I'm not sure if it does.
To stretch or not, that is the question these days. If you are going to stretch, you need to be warm. This "loosens" actin-myosin cross-linking making the stretch more effective. Stretching cold, as the other poster pointed out, can lead to injury. Really, a good 5-10 minute submaximal sport-specific warm-up is preferrable before stretching, not always practical I know. If you don't loosen up relatively quickly, you may need a little soft-tissue therapy as you may have restrictions that can not be stretched "out".

According to my Physically Active Lifestyles Instructor, you're suppose to stretch everyday day all of your major muscle groups after a light warmup for 10-15 second, 2-3 sets.
I don't think it's poor advice, but this is the guy who also said lactic acid is the stuff that makes you feel sore the day after a hard ride :p .

baillirw said:
According to my Physically Active Lifestyles Instructor, you're suppose to stretch everyday day all of your major muscle groups after a light warmup for 10-15 second, 2-3 sets.
I don't think it's poor advice, but this is the guy who also said lactic acid is the stuff that makes you feel sore the day after a hard ride :p .

I've started the shorter reps and about 2 sets, a few times a day (non-riding days). Problem is the light warmup. Usually I consider my brisk paced walk from the train station to my work the warm up...it's all I can do when at work.

if that as warm as your going to get... just err on the side of caution. With a muscle that is only mostly warm, you'll not be able to get a full stretch. i.e. after a ride, when I stretch my quads it is pretty easy to get my heal to touch my butt, but say after a dog walk if I were to do that I'd probably be tearing something. I'm going to guess the dog walk stretch is better than nothing, but clearly it's not the same as when thigs are at full operating temperature.

HR

Hookyrider said:
if that as warm as your going to get... just err on the side of caution. With a muscle that is only mostly warm, you'll not be able to get a full stretch. i.e. after a ride, when I stretch my quads it is pretty easy to get my heal to touch my butt, but say after a dog walk if I were to do that I'd probably be tearing something. I'm going to guess the dog walk stretch is better than nothing, but clearly it's not the same as when thigs are at full operating temperature.

HR

So are you better not to stretch if you can't have a good warm up? Or is a very light stretch better than nothing at all?

You are much better being fully warmed up prior to stretching. However just as taking a walk around the block is more beneficial than sitting on the sofa for the evening, the benefits are limited. So yes you’ll get some good, but because you can’t really get a full stretch, it’s not the best use of your time, but there could be worse things. This may sound a little New Age odd, but I’ve gotten a little bit into yoga, for flexibility and when I work into some of the yoga stuff without being all jazzed up after a complete workout, I really feel as if the stretching has been very beneficial.

HR