How To Start Training Hard?

andrew787

Oct 7, 2015
Hey there everybody, I'm quite new to road riding having only started in about June and I was wondering about how to start serious training. I just want to get fast and have great endurance, not focusing on race training or anything but I do wan't to train hard.

Usually I commute to work on my road bike and also ride it for recreation usually on Sunday about 50 miles. My job is 7.5 miles away from home with a few large hills in the way. and I usually commute to it at least 2 days a week but I have done more. Now that I have less hours at work finally, I can focus more on riding. The most I have done per week is about 120 miles which was definitely taxing me but I think that I can bring it up significantly for training purposes if I want.

Should I focus on getting more long rides in, which I really enjoy? Or should I look into doing more short fast rides? Also I was trying to get involved with a cycling club but I think that the other members might be a little too old for me, I don't know what I'd say to them. I'm 19, from pictures they all look to be on their deathbed. What should I do?

Thanks so much guys! :)