how to train for sprinting

scott cr1 comp

Jul 9, 2010
Hi , im josh and i have had my scott cr1 comp for two days now and have found that i am a natural sprinter , could someone please send me a training schedule for sprinters because i would like to pursue this new found talent , feel free to email me :)

scott cr1 comp said:
Hi , im josh and i have had my scott cr1 comp for two days now and have found that i am a natural sprinter , could someone please send me a training schedule for sprinters because i would like to pursue this new found talent , feel free to email me :)
Training for sprinting starts out the same as training for any fast riding or racing. Remember you've got to get to the final kilometer before you can contest the sprint unless you happen to have a velodrome nearby and can specialize in match sprints. IOW, if you lack the fitness to survive a fast criterium or road race all the sprint in the world won't make a difference.

From that standpoint search these forums on Sweet Spot Training (SST), Tempo and read threads like the 'It's killing me but...' to get an idea of how to put this stuff into play. But basically ride your bike a lot as in four or five days a week, get to the point where you can do two to three hour rides fairly regularly and then work on some sustained intensity like pushing fairly hard for twenty to thirty minutes at a stretch. Get to the point where you can do that a few days a week and then pick a day to work specifically on sprinting.

Best bet is probably to join a local racing club and learn from some experienced racers and learn to sprint against folks that know what they're doing such as being able to ride a straight and safe line while going all out in a sprint. You can ask around at local shops or check around on line to find local racing clubs open to new racers.

Good luck,
-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Training for sprinting starts out the same as training for any fast riding or racing. Remember you've got to get to the final kilometer before you can contest the sprint unless you happen to have a velodrome nearby and can specialize in match sprints. IOW, if you lack the fitness to survive a fast criterium or road race all the sprint in the world won't make a difference.

From that standpoint search these forums on Sweet Spot Training (SST), Tempo and read threads like the 'It's killing me but...' to get an idea of how to put this stuff into play. But basically ride your bike a lot as in four or five days a week, get to the point where you can do two to three hour rides fairly regularly and then work on some sustained intensity like pushing fairly hard for twenty to thirty minutes at a stretch. Get to the point where you can do that a few days a week and then pick a day to work specifically on sprinting.

Best bet is probably to join a local racing club and learn from some experienced racers and learn to sprint against folks that know what they're doing such as being able to ride a straight and safe line while going all out in a sprint. You can ask around at local shops or check around on line to find local racing clubs open to new racers.

Good luck,
-Dave
thanks very much , its nice to see someone that will take the time to write such a lengthy and informative reply, ive taken on alot of what you have said and i will follow it as best i can , thanks

That is all good advice from Davery.

So much about sprinting is tactics, and you can't get around that without racing lots. There are a few things you can do to fast track things though. Here are just 4 suggestions.

1. Think about taking up track riding. The races are shorter, so you get much more experience in a shorter time period. Plus you get a lot of time actually at near maximal power, in comparison to road racing.

2. Do sprint drills as training. Get a few buddies together and practice lead out sprints, or just add a few sprints to your regular ride, say at a nominated position.

3. You can do high end intervals to pull up your top end power, either on the road, or on a trainer. After warming up, do ~1 minutes at warm up pace, then ramp up over 15 seconds to a decent pace, then start a maximal sprint for between 3 and 10 seconds. Do about 9 of these. They should be flat out sprints though, there is no point doing them if they are only 80% efforts. Don't ride too hard on the rest portions, or you will be too knackered to hit top power.

4. Vo2 max intervals can help pull up your 2-7 minute power, which can help keep you in a good position and fresh for the sprint, when things speed up over the last few KM.. There is lots of info on these on the forums.

11ring said:
That is all good advice from Davery.

So much about sprinting is tactics, and you can't get around that without racing lots. There are a few things you can do to fast track things though. Here are just 4 suggestions.

1. Think about taking up track riding. The races are shorter, so you get much more experience in a shorter time period. Plus you get a lot of time actually at near maximal power, in comparison to road racing.

2. Do sprint drills as training. Get a few buddies together and practice lead out sprints, or just add a few sprints to your regular ride, say at a nominated position.

3. You can do high end intervals to pull up your top end power, either on the road, or on a trainer. After warming up, do ~1 minutes at warm up pace, then ramp up over 15 seconds to a decent pace, then start a maximal sprint for between 3 and 10 seconds. Do about 9 of these. They should be flat out sprints though, there is no point doing them if they are only 80% efforts. Don't ride too hard on the rest portions, or you will be too knackered to hit top power.

4. Vo2 max intervals can help pull up your 2-7 minute power, which can help keep you in a good position and fresh for the sprint, when things speed up over the last few KM.. There is lots of info on these on the forums.
thanks very much and ditto to what i said to davery about the long replies . the nearest track to my house is about 100 miles though :/ but ill still do the training things like leadout sprints etc.
thanks
josh

scott cr1 comp said:
thanks very much , its nice to see someone that will take the time to write such a lengthy and informative reply, ive taken on alot of what you have said and i will follow it as best i can , thanks
Dave is right, Josh. Check with the local clubs to find some competition and guidance. I'm not trying to be facetious, but how do you know you are a natural sprinter - ie What are you comparing yourself with? Are you already racing?
As Dave noted, if you are to be a road sprinter, you need to maintain a level of endurance that gets you to where you can sprint - not much point in sprinting to last place.
It's important to know what sort of racing you intend to do. How old are you? Juniors race on restricted gears - Does that apply to you?
Generally, in preparing for target races, build endurance first, then lift speed, then bring in interval training.

Eoin

EoinC said:
Dave is right, Josh. Check with the local clubs to find some competition and guidance. I'm not trying to be facetious, but how do you know you are a natural sprinter - ie What are you comparing yourself with? Are you already racing?
As Dave noted, if you are to be a road sprinter, you need to maintain a level of endurance that gets you to where you can sprint - not much point in sprinting to last place.
It's important to know what sort of racing you intend to do. How old are you? Juniors race on restricted gears - Does that apply to you?
Generally, in preparing for target races, build endurance first, then lift speed, then bring in interval training.

Eoin
thanks for your reply , i have taken it to heart and i know im a natural because i havent done any training towards sprinting yet and i ride with a friend who is alot better than me and i can sprint faster and longer than him