HP Velo Streetmachine drivetrain noise

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Fergus Flanagan, May 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Streetmachine which i have had for a couple of months now and recently noticed that when
    cycling hard i can hear alot of friction in the plastic tubes which before i didn't seem to notice
    before, its hard to trace the cause since looking down at the drivetrain whilst pushing it, is not
    an option but have grabbed the tubes and its feels as if the friction is most prevalent from the top
    tube. It is audible i am sure by others cycling around me and is beginning to annoy me. Not sure if
    this is because i am actually cycling harder having got more used to the bike or am more aware as
    time goes on. Could it also be a sign that something needs maintenance?

Thanks Fergus

--
    ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
    windows. :::::

Tags:

2. Mads Hilberg

Mads Hilberg Guest

> I have a Streetmachine which i have had for a couple of months now and recently noticed that when
    > cycling hard i can hear alot of friction in the plastic tubes which before i didn't seem to notice
    > before, its hard to
    trace
    > the cause since looking down at the drivetrain whilst pushing it, is not
    an
    > option but have grabbed the tubes and its feels as if the friction is most prevalent from the top
    > tube. It is audible i am sure by others cycling around me and is beginning to annoy me. Not sure
    > if this is because i am actually cycling harder having got more used to the bike or am more aware
    as
    > time goes on. Could it also be a sign that something needs maintenance?

I don't have a Streetmachine (but I've just ordered one!), but my Bjaellby has similar chain tubes
    and I find that if the chain isn't well oiled it gets pretty noisy - especially where the chain
    exits the top tube near the chainrings. Dirt inside the tube could also be causing the noise. I
    seriously doubt there is talk of serious wear on either the chain or chain tube if you've only had
    it a few months.

Of course the tubes aren't silent but it's hard for me to tell whether what you are hearing is
    normal or not.

Mads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.