HP Velo Streetmachine drivetrain noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fergus Flanagan

I have a Streetmachine which i have had for a couple of months now and recently noticed that when
cycling hard i can hear alot of friction in the plastic tubes which before i didn't seem to notice
before, its hard to trace the cause since looking down at the drivetrain whilst pushing it, is not
an option but have grabbed the tubes and its feels as if the friction is most prevalent from the top
tube. It is audible i am sure by others cycling around me and is beginning to annoy me. Not sure if
this is because i am actually cycling harder having got more used to the bike or am more aware as
time goes on. Could it also be a sign that something needs maintenance?

Thanks Fergus

--
::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
windows. :::::

> I have a Streetmachine which i have had for a couple of months now and recently noticed that when
> cycling hard i can hear alot of friction in the plastic tubes which before i didn't seem to notice
> before, its hard to
trace
> the cause since looking down at the drivetrain whilst pushing it, is not
an
> option but have grabbed the tubes and its feels as if the friction is most prevalent from the top
> tube. It is audible i am sure by others cycling around me and is beginning to annoy me. Not sure
> if this is because i am actually cycling harder having got more used to the bike or am more aware
as
> time goes on. Could it also be a sign that something needs maintenance?

I don't have a Streetmachine (but I've just ordered one!), but my Bjaellby has similar chain tubes
and I find that if the chain isn't well oiled it gets pretty noisy - especially where the chain
exits the top tube near the chainrings. Dirt inside the tube could also be causing the noise. I
seriously doubt there is talk of serious wear on either the chain or chain tube if you've only had
it a few months.

Of course the tubes aren't silent but it's hard for me to tell whether what you are hearing is
normal or not.

Mads

Status
Not open for further replies.