Hub purchase

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Craig Brossman, May 28, 2003.

  1. My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld probably
    get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.

    But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it did
    last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.

    But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps I
    will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around $250, it represents
    an investment.

    Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a little less.

    Any other opinions out there?

    BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next big
    bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Tags:

  2. Craig Brossman wrote:

    >My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld probably
    >get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.
    >
    >But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it did
    >last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    >
    >But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps
    >I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around $250, it
    >represents an investment.
    >
    >Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a little less.
    >
    >Any other opinions out there?
    >
    >BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    >myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next big
    >bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.
    >
    >--
    >Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    I am hub shopping as well. The King hubs seem awfully, awfully nice, but gol dern they are
    expensive. The Hugi and the American Classic are at the top of my list right now.

  3. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 15:16:41 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld probably
    >get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.
    >
    >But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it did
    >last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    >
    >But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps
    >I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around $250, it
    >represents an investment.
    >
    >Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a little less.
    >
    >Any other opinions out there?
    >
    >BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    >myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next big
    >bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.

    www.philwood.com

    Peter R.

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Craig Brossman wrote:
    > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld
    > probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.
    >
    > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it
    > did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris
    > King hub.
    >
    > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps
    > I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around $250, it
    > represents an investment.
    >
    > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a
    > little less.
    >
    > Any other opinions out there?
    >
    > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    > myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next big
    > bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.

    For me, the Chris King was worth it. Solid performance. The instant engagement is great. Make sure
    that the noise that it makes is ok with you. Mine's quiet, but some sound like a fishing reel with a
    big fish on the end of the line :).

    I have an XT as my backup when I break the rim on the Chris King -- while I'm waiting for a
    replacement. The Chris King's on it's 2nd rim and going strong. I've never tried Hugi...

    David

  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Craig Brossman wrote:
    >
    > >My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few
    extra
    > >dollars, I'ld probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there
    > >right away.
    > >
    > >But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I
    only
    > >weigh 175 lbs., it did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel
    online
    > >for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    > >
    > >But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how
    easily
    > >it is serviced. Perhaps I will grow to love the quick engagement it has
    more
    > >than I can imagine. At around $250, it represents an investment.
    > >
    > >Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same
    price,
    > >perhaps a little less.
    > >
    > >Any other opinions out there?
    > >
    > >BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't
    matter.
    > >I have to convince myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is
    > >expecting the next big bike purchase to be her new
    FS
    > >frame/bike.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    > >

    > I am hub shopping as well. The King hubs seem awfully, awfully nice, but gol dern they are
    > expensive. The Hugi and the American Classic are at the top of my list right now.

    I like the Hugis I have now, but the rear is incredibly loud. Between that and my studded tires, I
    couldn't hear anything this winter. Now that I'm back to slicks (until I fix the racing bike), the
    Hugi is still loud.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Anthony Sloan wrote:

    > Craig Brossman wrote:
    >
    >> My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld
    >> probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.
    >>
    >> But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it
    >> did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris
    >> King hub.
    >>
    >> But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced.
    >> Perhaps I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around $250,
    >> it represents an investment.
    >>
    >> Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a
    >> little less.
    >>
    >> Any other opinions out there?
    >>
    >> BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    >> myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next
    >> big bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    >>

    > I am hub shopping as well. The King hubs seem awfully, awfully nice, but gol dern they are
    > expensive. The Hugi and the American Classic are at the top of my list right now.

    _Run_ from American Classic! I had their rear hub. It started dumping grease on the disc rotor after
    a couple of months (talk about exciting -- I'd usually find this out when I found that my rear brake
    wasn't working on a steep grade at speed!). Destroyed the bearings in 4 months -- one actually
    disintegrated! Their tech support tried to duck it -- claimed that it couldn't happen. My LBS
    insisted that was not the case and convinced them to send a full set of new bearings (4), all with
    seals (my guess was that water was getting in as readily as grease was getting out). They sent 4
    bearings, but only one had seals and they charged the shop for 2 of them! __NEVER AGAIN__!

    BTW, it was this hub that taught me the finer points of using mud to get a disc rotor back in
    service :). But, the pads would only survive 3 or 4 dumps before they just couldn't be revived and
    had to be replaced.

    David

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I like the Hugis I have now, but the rear is incredibly loud. Between that and my studded tires, I
    > couldn't hear anything this winter. Now that I'm back to slicks (until I fix the racing bike), the
    > Hugi is still loud.
    >
    > --
    > Bob

    If you take the cassette off and put a thick grease on the pawls it will make them quiter. Since it
    requires no tools to do this on those hubs it's not a big chore.
    --
    _________________________

  8. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few
    extra
    > dollars, I'ld probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there
    > right away.
    >
    > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I
    only
    > weigh 175 lbs., it did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel
    online
    > for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    >
    > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps
    > I will grow to love the quick engagement it has
    more
    > than I can imagine. At around $250, it represents an investment.
    >
    > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same
    price,
    > perhaps a little less.
    >
    > Any other opinions out there?
    >
    > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't
    matter.
    > I have to convince myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is
    > expecting the next big bike purchase to be her new
    FS
    > frame/bike.
    >
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    I'm wheelshopping as well, need disc wheels to put those XT discs on!

    King hubs would be ideal, but they're expensive as all get out. I think I'm going to go with WTB
    Laser Disc Lites - they're essentially rebadged American Classic disc hubs. WTB licensed their
    design, and only changed a couple tiny things about them - including adding a nicer finish. Mike at
    www.oddsandendos.com suposedly makes good wheels, and has those hubs to build them on. They end up
    superlight too without sacrificing too much strength.

    I've heard of a few problems with Hugis. The newest itteration is fairly changed - it actually uses
    Shimano's centerlock mounting.

    Jon Bond

  9. Jy

    Jy Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <craigbr[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few
    extra
    > dollars, I'ld probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there
    > right away.
    >
    > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I
    only
    > weigh 175 lbs., it did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel
    online
    > for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    [...]

    Quoting an opinion on the web, from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html , don't know how
    valid it is.

    "Materials Hubs All modern hubs of decent quality are made of aluminum. Better-quality hubs are
    usually made by forging, and only forged hubs should be used for radial-spoked front wheels. I would
    generally advise avoiding overpriced "boutique" hubs which are made by CNC machining, since their
    flanges are usually weaker than those of forged hubs. If you are buying new hubs, the best value for
    the money, in most cases, is Shimano. If you want the very best, cost no object, in many
    applications, this would be Phil Wood."

  10. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > >

    > > Craig Brossman wrote:
    > >
    > >> My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld
    > >> probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.
    > >>
    > >> But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it
    > >> did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris
    > >> King hub.
    > >>
    > >> But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced.
    > >> Perhaps I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around
    > >> $250, it represents an investment.
    > >>
    > >> Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a little
    > >> less.
    > >>
    > >> Any other opinions out there?
    > >>
    > >> BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    > >> myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next
    > >> big bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    > >>

    > > I am hub shopping as well. The King hubs seem awfully, awfully nice, but gol dern they are
    > > expensive. The Hugi and the American Classic are at the top of my list right now.

    > _Run_ from American Classic! I had their rear hub. It started dumping grease on the disc rotor
    > after a couple of months (talk about exciting -- I'd usually find this out when I found that my
    > rear brake wasn't working on a steep grade at speed!). Destroyed the bearings in 4 months -- one
    > actually disintegrated! Their tech support tried to duck it -- claimed that it couldn't happen. My
    > LBS insisted that was not the case and convinced them to send a full set of new bearings (4), all
    > with seals (my guess was that water was getting in as readily as grease was getting out). They
    > sent 4 bearings, but only one had seals and they charged the shop for 2 of them! __NEVER AGAIN__!
    >
    > BTW, it was this hub that taught me the finer points of using mud to get a disc rotor back in
    > service :). But, the pads would only survive 3 or 4 dumps before they just couldn't be revived and
    > had to be replaced.
    >
    > David

    There were a bunch of problems like that - did you have the model with the greaseport?

    The new models are supposed to be a lot better. the WTB knockoff is supposed to be pretty damn good,
    and WTB has excellent customer service too. (No personal experience, so I can't vouch for them)

    Jon Bond

  11. "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few
    extra
    > dollars, I'ld probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there
    > right away.
    >
    > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I
    only
    > weigh 175 lbs., it did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel
    online
    > for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    >
    > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps
    > I will grow to love the quick engagement it has
    more
    > than I can imagine. At around $250, it represents an investment.
    >
    > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same
    price,
    > perhaps a little less.
    >
    > Any other opinions out there?
    >
    > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't
    matter.
    > I have to convince myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is
    > expecting the next big bike purchase to be her new
    FS
    > frame/bike.
    >
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    I have a CK hubset, F&R. I also have 3 sets of XT wheels.

    XT rear disk hub $45 CK rear disk hub $250 or 5 times the cost.

    CK's are pretty, easy to service and adjust, light weight, (rears noisy) etc. but, it's recommended
    that you do a full overhaul at CK once a year!

    You can buy a new XT hub every 3 years. Do you think you'll still have that CK in 15 years? If
    money's a factor, buy XT with some DB spokes and a Mavic 317 rim. You'll be happy.

    my $.02

    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  12. "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few
    > extra
    > > dollars, I'ld probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there
    > > right away.
    > >
    > > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I
    > only
    > > weigh 175 lbs., it did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel
    > online
    > > for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    > >
    > > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how
    easily
    > > it is serviced. Perhaps I will grow to love the quick engagement it has
    > more
    > > than I can imagine. At around $250, it represents an investment.
    > >
    > > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same
    > price,
    > > perhaps a little less.
    > >
    > > Any other opinions out there?
    > >
    > > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't
    > matter.
    > > I have to convince myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is
    > > expecting the next big bike purchase to be her
    new
    > FS
    > > frame/bike.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    > >

    > I have a CK hubset, F&R. I also have 3 sets of XT wheels.
    >
    > XT rear disk hub $45 CK rear disk hub $250 or 5 times the cost.
    >
    > CK's are pretty, easy to service and adjust, light weight, (rears noisy) etc. but, it's
    > recommended that you do a full overhaul at CK once a year!
    >
    > You can buy a new XT hub every 3 years. Do you think you'll still have that CK in 15 years? If
    > money's a factor, buy XT with some DB spokes and
    > Mavic 317 rim. You'll be happy.
    >
    > my $.02
    >

    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    > I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

    Thanks, I have to agree with you analysis.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  13. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 15:16:41 +0000, Craig Brossman wrote:

    > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld
    > probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of Avid mechanicals in there right away.
    >
    > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it
    > did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole wheel online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris
    > King hub.
    >
    > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how easily it is serviced. Perhaps
    > I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine. At around $250, it
    > represents an investment.
    >
    > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a
    > little less.
    >
    > Any other opinions out there?
    >
    > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    > myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next big
    > bike purchase to be her new FS frame/bike.

    I just toasted mine this morning too, my freehub stopped spinning, ie: permanently engaged. Anyone
    know if these are rebuildable? I'd lke to just change that rather than have to respoke the wheel.

    -Bruce

  14. "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 15:16:41 +0000, Craig Brossman wrote:
    >
    > > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld
    > > probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of
    Avid
    > > mechanicals in there right away.
    > >
    > > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it
    > > did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole
    wheel
    > > online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    > >
    > > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how
    easily
    > > it is serviced. Perhaps I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine.
    > > At around $250, it represents an investment.
    > >
    > > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a
    > > little less.
    > >
    > > Any other opinions out there?
    > >
    > > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    > > myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next
    > > big bike purchase to
    be
    > > her new FS frame/bike.
    >
    > I just toasted mine this morning too, my freehub stopped spinning, ie: permanently engaged. Anyone
    > know if these are rebuildable? I'd lke to just change that rather than have to respoke the wheel.
    >
    > -Bruce
    The free hub is replaceable if it is bad, but it may have just come lose in your case.
    Unfortunately, the free hub is 80% of the price of a new complete hub, and I am interested in discs
    and my rim is in bad shape.
    --

  15. "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 15:16:41 +0000, Craig Brossman wrote:
    >
    > > My rear XT hub is shot, and the rims are getting on as well. For a few extra dollars, I'ld
    > > probably get a disc hub, may even throw a set of
    Avid
    > > mechanicals in there right away.
    > >
    > > But which hub? For the price, perhaps another XT wheel isn't so bad. I only weigh 175 lbs., it
    > > did last me 5 years, and I could get a whole
    wheel
    > > online for almost 1/2 the price of a Chris King hub.
    > >
    > > But the Chris King is forever, or so I'm told. My LBS showed me how
    easily
    > > it is serviced. Perhaps I will grow to love the quick engagement it has more than I can imagine.
    > > At around $250, it represents an investment.
    > >
    > > Another friend like Hugi hubs. I believe they come in around the same price, perhaps a
    > > little less.
    > >
    > > Any other opinions out there?
    > >
    > > BTW, money is always an object; 4, 5, or 5 digit incomes, it doesn't matter. I have to convince
    > > myself it IS worth the extra dollars, I also have to convince SWMBO, who is expecting the next
    > > big bike purchase to
    be

    http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/hubs/shimano_xt_freehub_body.htm

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  16. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:
    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Anthony Sloan wrote:

    >>>I am hub shopping as well. The King hubs seem awfully, awfully nice, but gol dern they are
    >>>expensive. The Hugi and the American Classic are at the top of my list right now.

    >>_Run_ from American Classic! I had their rear hub. It started dumping grease on the disc rotor
    >>after a couple of months (talk about exciting -- I'd usually find this out when I found that my
    >>rear brake wasn't working on a steep grade at speed!). Destroyed the bearings in 4 months -- one
    >>actually disintegrated! Their tech support tried to duck it -- claimed that it couldn't happen. My
    >>LBS insisted that was not the case and convinced them to send a full set of new bearings (4), all
    >>with seals (my guess was that water was getting in as readily as grease was getting out). They
    >>sent 4 bearings, but only one had seals and they charged the shop for 2 of them! __NEVER AGAIN__!
    >>
    >>BTW, it was this hub that taught me the finer points of using mud to get a disc rotor back in
    >>service :). But, the pads would only survive 3 or 4 dumps before they just couldn't be revived and
    >>had to be replaced.
    >>
    >>David
    >

    > There were a bunch of problems like that - did you have the model with the greaseport?
    >
    > The new models are supposed to be a lot better. the WTB knockoff is supposed to be pretty damn
    > good, and WTB has excellent customer service too. (No personal experience, so I can't vouch
    > for them)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    If their support had owned up to it and stood behind their product, I'd agree. But they never made
    good on it -- and it was almost as expensive as the Chris King that replaced it! It's sitting with
    the rest of my junk parts. (And, yes it was the grease port model).

    David

  17. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    >> I just toasted mine this morning too, my freehub stopped spinning, ie: permanently engaged.
    >> Anyone know if these are rebuildable? I'd lke to just change that rather than have to respoke
    >> the wheel.
    >>
    >> -Bruce
    > The free hub is replaceable if it is bad, but it may have just come lose in your case.
    > Unfortunately, the free hub is 80% of the price of a new complete hub, and I am interested in
    > discs and my rim is in bad shape. -- Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if
    > replying)

    I don't think it came loose, it just doesn't spin easily. It has spots where it sticks and requires
    extra torque to turn it past that spot. Needless to say, it made riding on it miserable, could never
    stop pedaling unless I wanted a complete chain wrap up. Anyways, can you tell from this description
    whether it's salvageable or toast?

    Thanks, Bruce

  18. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

  19. "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > >> I just toasted mine this morning too, my freehub stopped spinning, ie: permanently engaged.
    > >> Anyone know if these are rebuildable? I'd lke to just change that
    rather
    > >> than have to respoke the wheel.
    > >>
    > >> -Bruce
    > > The free hub is replaceable if it is bad, but it may have just come lose in your case.
    > > Unfortunately, the free hub is 80% of the price of a new complete hub, and I am interested in
    > > discs and my rim is in bad
    shape. --
    > > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    >
    > I don't think it came loose, it just doesn't spin easily. It has spots where it sticks and
    > requires extra torque to turn it past that spot. Needless to say, it made riding on it miserable,
    > could never stop pedaling unless I wanted a complete chain wrap up. Anyways, can you tell from
    > this description whether it's salvageable or toast?
    >
    > Thanks, Bruce

    I cannot, but it sure would seem that simply replacing the freehub would do you right. Perhaps the
    hub needs to be rebuilt as well. You have to decide if it is worth it, I found XT wheels with 517
    rims all over the web at around $120. Your LBS will probably charge about 1/2 of that for the new
    freehub and a rebuild. In my case, that is not enough, I need a new hub. Man am I tired of spending
    money on bikes, and now I have to road ride because the mtn. bike is down and out.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  20. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    bruce edge wrote:
    >>>I just toasted mine this morning too, my freehub stopped spinning, ie: permanently engaged.
    >>>Anyone know if these are rebuildable? I'd lke to just change that rather than have to respoke
    >>>the wheel.
    >>>
    >>>-Bruce
    >>
    >>The free hub is replaceable if it is bad, but it may have just come lose in your case.
    >>Unfortunately, the free hub is 80% of the price of a new complete hub, and I am interested in
    >>discs and my rim is in bad shape. -- Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if
    >>replying)
    >

    > I don't think it came loose, it just doesn't spin easily. It has spots where it sticks and
    > requires extra torque to turn it past that spot. Needless to say, it made riding on it miserable,
    > could never stop pedaling unless I wanted a complete chain wrap up. Anyways, can you tell from
    > this description whether it's salvageable or toast?
    >
    > Thanks, Bruce

    I don't know the insides of the XT hub, but I had another hub do that and all it needed was to be
    taken apart, cleaned and regreased.

    David