Hybrid, slightly knobby tires on a fluid trainer?

Naltimar

Oct 21, 2012
Howdy folks, I have a Sirrus with Forte Gotham tires on it. They are slightly knobby hybrid tires (I have a sand-patch phobia). My bike was recently tuned and the tires are brand new, but the season is winding down. I have a fluid trainer that I've used in the past, only with standard road tires. Question is, could I use the trainer with the tires I have? My assumption is I will wear down the tread, but is like to get through some moderate-light off-season biking. Could anyone speak to this? Thanks! Naltimar

You can give 'em a try, but they'll be suboptimal compared to slicks. You might find they tend to slip and tend to be louder than slicks.

Originally Posted by Naltimar .

I have a Sirrus with Forte Gotham tires on it. They are slightly knobby hybrid tires (I have a sand-patch phobia). My bike was recently tuned and the tires are brand new, but the season is winding down. I have a fluid trainer that I've used in the past, only with standard road tires. Question is, could I use the trainer with the tires I have? My assumption is I will wear down the tread, but is like to get through some moderate-light off-season biking. Could anyone speak to this?
FWIW. While it's true that you can use almost any tire with a fluid/mag/wind trainer, you will quickly find that within a short period of time that you will probably have made the tire on your rear wheel un-roadworthy ...

Because, the wear rate is very rapid ...

You will be able to evidence the extreme wear by the black debris which accumulates below the "roller" on the trainer.

CONTINENTAL sells a fairly expensive trainer-specific tire ...

I suggest that if you still have the old tires, then take the time to mount one on your rim ... or, buy-and-mount a $10 tire (you'll probably need a new tube because it will probably have a smaller cross section) to use with your trainer.