Hydration backpacks (Camelbak)

alienator said:
What the hell do you know about what anyone else does? Nada that's what.
We know that by you using climbers as models of staying hydrated that you are talking out of your ass. I don't think I have ever seen a lamer attempt to buttress an argument. What's next? In an argument about professional integrity are you going to bring up the sterling reputation of lawyers. Will you bring up politicians as an example of honesty. How about yourself on the benefits of not seeking psychriatric help.

alienator said:
Those dropouts took the wrong risk and failed. They could have stayed hydrated.
Yeah, those poor bastards. They would have been better off sitting around a whiteboard with you explaining how stupid they are. I'm sure you would have showed them. That's much better than actually going outside and determining what works for them through actual experimentation. Those idiots.

sideshow_bob said:
just alienator off his meds for a few days.
Maybe his favorite beaker broke or he just couldn't get it up last night. He does come across as unbalanced. Everything from beating up a 15 year old for not having as much money to spend on gear as him to playing stupid when someone mentions his name matches his personality to professing ignorance that the written word can convey tone. Maybe he's telling the truth on the last one. Arrogant pricks are often oblivious to their surroundings.

vadiver said:
And do you weigh yourself when you are taining to know how much you have lost?
I have done that a lot in the past to establish a baseline. I know that if I take that baseline and adjust it according to temperature, checkpoint weight checks, and observations like urination frequency I will get things pretty close to what I need.

vadiver said:
How many hours are you in the race at 75 miles? Cycling I would be at about 3 to 4 hours depending on what I am doing and where.
16 - 24 hours depending on the amount of vertical in the course and quality of the trails. Overall cutoff times for most 100s are either 24, 30, or 36 hours.

vadiver said:
If it takes a weigh in to figure out they have screwed up, who cares how many bottles they have had. They obviously did not have enough. And again, does it make a difference as to what their method was for not drinking?
I am not sure what you are trying to argue here. Sure it does not make a difference which container you got your water; water is water. People have different ways of keeping track of how much they are drinking. Some people use Camelbaks and I would assume that is what works best for them. I use bottles and I prefer them over hydration packs for some events that I do. For hiking, back packing, mountain biking, and warm weather climbing I prefer CBs.

Bro Deal said:
We know that by you using climbers as models of staying hydrated that you are talking out of your ass. I don't think I have ever seen a lamer attempt to buttress an argument.

How's that, cupcake? Care to explain your thoughts?

Bro Deal said:
Yeah, those poor bastards. They would have been better off sitting around a whiteboard with you explaining how stupid they are. I'm sure you would have showed them. That's much better than actually going outside and determining what works for them through actual experimentation. Those idiots.

Apparently quite a few didn't find out what works for them.

Bro Deal said:
Maybe his favorite beaker broke or he just couldn't get it up last night. He does come across as unbalanced. Everything from beating up a 15 year old for not having as much money to spend on gear as him to playing stupid when someone mentions his name matches his personality to professing ignorance that the written word can convey tone. Maybe he's telling the truth on the last one. Arrogant pricks are often oblivious to their surroundings.

Beating up a 15 y.o. for not having as much money? Where'd you dream that up?

And as for name.....how would you know what my personality is like? Are you so stupid that you think you can devine such details from an internet forum? Wow. You must have amazing powers of insight. You know, you sound a lot like the "arrogant pricks" you go on about.

Bro Deal said:
Arrogant pricks are often oblivious to their surroundings.

Talking about yourself, here?

Bro Deal said:
I have done that a lot in the past to establish a baseline. I know that if I take that baseline and adjust it according to temperature, checkpoint weight checks, and observations like urination frequency I will get things pretty close to what I need.

16 - 24 hours depending on the amount of vertical in the course and quality of the trails. Overall cutoff times for most 100s are either 24, 30, or 36 hours.

I am not sure what you are trying to argue here. Sure it does not make a difference which container you got your water; water is water. People have different ways of keeping track of how much they are drinking. Some people use Camelbaks and I would assume that is what works best for them. I use bottles and I prefer them over hydration packs for some events that I do. For hiking, back packing, mountain biking, and warm weather climbing I prefer CBs.
I have never thought so much about water on a ride than I did today, go figure.

You did not answer the quetion about who/what percentage drop out. CBusers vs. Bottle Users.

Running is obviously different than biking. I paid attention to my ride today. The only time I loked down to my bottles was when I was switching the empty to the ST and the full to the DT. I do have to moderate my cadence to keep from kicking the bottle, that probably would change with time/practice.

One other thing I like about the CB was mentioned just about but on Mt. Biking. I can drink at will on a technical decent. They come in real handy on 5 mile 10% switchbacks. Now I could probably wait the 6 to 7 min to drink but with the CB I do not need to.

bobbyOCR said:
Oh, yeah, a good sh*t is a great thing to do before a ride.
I have a friend who had to do one during a ride. We were off road at the time. He had eaten a large bag of licorice the night before that he'd been given. Not a good move. All he had was a rag in his seatbag to use as toilet paper. He ended up with a pretty sore @$$ by the end of it.:eek:

1id10t said:
I have a friend who had to do one during a ride. We were off road at the time. He had eaten a large bag of licorice the night before that he'd been given. Not a good move. All he had was a rag in his seatbag to use as toilet paper. He ended up with a pretty sore @$$ by the end of it.:eek:

No leafy vegetation with which to wipe?

alienator said:
No leafy vegetation with which to wipe?
I think he'd said something about the leaves being too small. Didn't want to end up with faeces on the fingers. Could make for slippery brake lever operation.

1id10t said:
I think he'd said something about the leaves being too small. Didn't want to end up with faeces on the fingers. Could make for slippery brake lever operation.

That's why God invented dirt: to clean the **** off your fingers. In related news.....there are actually some parks, where at the higher elevations, the parks recommend disposing of fecal matter by smearing it on rocks.

If your buddy were fast enough, he coulda used a squirrel or maybe a bunny to wipe with.

alienator said:
That's why God invented dirt: to clean the **** off your fingers. In related news.....there are actually some parks, where at the higher elevations, the parks recommend disposing of fecal matter by smearing it on rocks.

If your buddy were fast enough, he coulda used a squirrel or maybe a bunny to wipe with.
:D:D:D:D....unfortunately, no squirrels 'round those parts; maybe a wombat or wallaby. Wouldn't want to try using one of those; sharp claws could make a mess of ones bottom. Besides, imagine trying to explain to the Park Ranger why you have a furry animal attached to your butt. :eek:

Check out the models that are designed to maximise airflow round the back - this makes them much more comfortable.

Hydrapack did a range called Airscoop and they are great.