Hyper to Hyper...how did you do???

big_h

Oct 24, 2001
Hi Guys

Had a very good race. Came in at 2h52. The wind was a bit strong at time but enjoyed it thoroughly. The stoker and my tandem performed admirably. I measured the distance at just under 100km, it was advertised as a 96km race but the medal says 100km. mY BEST TIME FOR A 100 KM RACE. wONDER WHEN WE WILL GET OUR RESULTS AND HOW COMPLETE WILL THEY BE. dID YOU GUYS NOTICE THE MATS WERE JUST OUTSIDE THE PENS AND WE STILL HAD TO WAIT AT THE START.

OOPS I TYPED IN UPPERCASE!!!!!

BIG H

Had a great race: 2h28. My best ever for long race(98km). Winning time will give us all the same starting time as seems the norm for them:( Same as in the amashova and 94.7. moral of the story is start in front when winning time is timming!!

I'm pleased with my results. I aimed for a sub 2:45 and did a 2:43. I hit a phsycological barrier when I dropped my one bottel with energy drink just after 47km, so I had to finish the race with half a bottle of plain water. Otherwise I'm happy with the time. The new venue was also much better then last year. Overall, it was a well organised race.

Didn't have a good start but after all those uphills, the race went well. Did much better than I anticipated and came in at 2:41.
BigH, are you going to do the 107km in Nylstroom on the 8th February?

results online at supercycling.

the winner, junior Leon Nel only had the 47 fastest time!! The big teams must realy have been cocking around! poor showing!
I think the winning ladies time was 2h38 which is way slower than a lot of ladies I rode with!

Originally posted by guy

I think the winning ladies time was 2h38 which is way slower than a lot of ladies I rode with!

How does that work?

Hi Roadster,

A bit of bad planning from my side and it is now decision time!!!!! The Old Edenval Classic is on the 9th, I have entered but did not pay for this race, Nylstroom is a GNC colours race and I am doing Merit Colours this year. Will have to decide but will most likely do Nystroom. Maybe camp there from the Friday.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H

Congratulations to all of you!

I was a bit unfortunate...bike's back tyre got cut or somethings and blew at 72km. Was off the road for about 20min. Luckily a support vechicle came past with spares. Eventually came in at 3:05.

Other than that I fould the race better that last year - access to and from the start and finish was much better.

Saw labrat and some mates cycling back to the start - LR, wanted to slow down to support you guys but there was a idiot behind me that wouldn't overtake.

I started in B and finished in 2:24.
The bunches broke up in the crosswinds and one really had to stay near the front all the time (which I did not).
I think the finish was real nice and the little incline gave Leon Nel the opportunity to outsprint his opponents despite his gear restrictions. On that subject - why was her declared the winner - when the Vets came in quicker - are they not licensed as well?

Hey there Guys,

I was having an awesome ride, started at the back of the "B" bunch and at the end of that first hill, had passed everybody and was sitting in the front with some really fast guys. We worked really well together when we broke the smaller bunch into about 15 guys and passed large A bunches.

At about 48km, I got a puncture, can you believe it. :(

I was fortunate to have a really fast tyre change, but couldn't catch the bunch again and rode into the cross wind for another 10kms alone. Bummer.

The second B bunch caught me and I finished with them, totally poked. Managed a 2:17 though, so I am still happy.

Yes, Jaco, we rode back and the wind was getting stronger and stronger all the way and it had to be a headwind. Loads of people were hooting and giving us support. Thanks

Guy, you must remember one thing about the licensed racing.

The elites and the ladies are sponsered racers. Their position in the race is more important than their times.

That is why their times are occasionally slower than the other categories, especially the licensed Vets, who often have faster times than the Pro's).

In a flat race, such as this, the sprinters are suited as there are no hills for the climbers to attack on and basically everyone should be able to hang in there. It also happens that the lessor teams won't work upfront and will rely on the bigger teams such as Minolta, HSBC and MicroSft to do all the work. So if it's going to be a bunch sprint anyway, why push the pace?

Did a 2:55. 6 seconds fatser than last year. But I really struggled. I could not stay with the bunches, but I did manage to pull about 5 people for about 10 - 15km. We then caught a nice bunch about halfway and I rode with them to 10km before the end.

Landed up stressesing my heart to much. Result is I have a tight chest. Average heart rate was 175 bpm with max getting to 195 bpm.

I'm not happy with my result, but it's down to me not training enough and nothing else.

Glad to see the results are out already.

Ouzo, what group did you start in and what colour C'dale do you ride? I was in a group with a few C'dales and we were going pretty good towards the end.

Steve

As lab-rat says the elite men and women are the only ones racing and it is the first of them over the line that wins. The rest of us are only really fun riders if the truth be known! You wouldn't think so looking at the competition even in the D group. and by the amount of *****ing and complaning while riding I'm not too sure where the fun element comes in for many riders :D Anyway each to their own!

Had a terrible H2H - started right at the back of the vets bunch (but hey at least I had a good warm up!). Passed about 200 vets up the hill but still ended some ditsnce off the lead group. Paced like a mad thing with some other chaps to get back and then punctured as I rolled up into the lead group! GRRRRRR!

Jumped back on and rode hard until the lead A guys caught me.

Then I punctured again......

Jumped back on and rode with the lead B bunch until the end.

Eventually ended up with a 2:25

Op Berge en Dale better go well!!!

Had a terrible H2H - started right at the back of the vets bunch (but hey at least I had a good warm up!). Passed about 200 vets up the hill but still ended some ditsnce off the lead group. Paced like a mad thing with some other chaps to get back and then punctured as I rolled up into the lead group! GRRRRRR!

Jumped back on and rode hard until the lead A guys caught me.

Then I punctured again......

Jumped back on and rode with the lead B bunch until the end.

Eventually ended up with a 2:25

Op Berge en Dale better go well!!!