Hypothetical car-bike interaction

Denver C. Fox wrote:

>> We'll see what happens to her in Court.

> How does probation for one year sound? At least that appears likely
> in this Colorado case:
>
> http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbc...06100001&Ref=AR

> SUMMIT COUNTY - Following an investigation of the accident scene, the
> Colorado State Patrol (CSP) has charged a teenager in the death of a
> bicyclist along Highway 9 north of Silverthorne last month.
>
> CSP Capt. Ron Prater said the 17-year-old Kremmling resident was
> charged with first-class misdemeanor careless driving resulting in
> death. The charge carries possible penalties of 10 days to one year
> in jail, and a possible fine of between $100 and $1,000.

That sentence seems pretty light to me. In CA, I believe this charge carries a
sentence of up to 7 years. If it results in death it's manslaughter, no ifs,
ands, or buts. Most people actually do about 18 months, lucky ones 6 months.
This according to a friend who's a DA. Also, I spent a couple of days in
criminal traffic court as a witness, and watched one young knucklehead after
another get hauled off to the pen for months to years.

Cops and lawyers care to comment?

Matt O.

James S. Prine wrote:

>> Isn't everyone drunk in New Orleans? I wager the person gets off
>> with 10 days
>> and a 2 year suspension.

> It is no secret that we are 'proud' of our drive-thru daiquiri shops,
> where one may purchase liquor BY THE GALLON. Many barrooms are
> literally open 'round the clock' to better serve the public.

To one-up that, Australia has drive-through liquor stores! But they have a
great deterrent, too -- they print your name in the paper when you're arrested
for drunk driving, in a column called "Drunk and In Jail." I'm not kidding.

> In addition to the exciting driving conditions, we pay some of the
> highest insurance premiums in the United States.
>
> Can there be a correlation here?

I noticed some of the worst driving ever in New Orleans, drunk or not.

Matt O.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:33:42 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>To one-up that, Australia has drive-through liquor stores!

These exist in the US, too, at least in Massachusetts.
--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:33:42 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> To one-up that, Australia has drive-through liquor stores!

> These exist in the US, too, at least in Massachusetts.

How common are they? I don't remember seeing any in my trips to Mass. in
the early 90s, but they're very common over here.

--

A: Top-posters.

news:[email protected]

[...]

> have a great deterrent, too -- they print your name in the paper when
> you're arrested for drunk driving, in a column called "Drunk and In
> Jail." I'm not kidding.

In which state is that? Not in the one in which I live.

--

A: Top-posters.

WD-40 is really not a lubricant--it is a solvent/penetrant.

This is a really effective way to protect and lubricate a chain, though it
is a lot of work. Take the chain off the bike, and soak it in a light
solvent. Then, melt some parafine, and mix in some graphite. Soak the
chain in this melted mix. The heat will drive the solvent out of the
insides of the link/pins. Then, whirl the chain around your head on the end
of a strong cord, to remove most of the wax from the outside. After it
cools, you have wax and graphite on all the surfaces, including the inside.
This protects against wear, and is not sticky or wet, so it does not collect
grime.

I have used this on off-road motorcycle chains, as well as mountain bikes.

DRS wrote:

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
>> have a great deterrent, too -- they print your name in the paper when
>> you're arrested for drunk driving, in a column called "Drunk and In
>> Jail." I'm not kidding.

> In which state is that? Not in the one in which I live.

NSW, circa 1980, when they first started doing it. My friend in Queensland says
they still do.

Matt O.

news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:
>> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> have a great deterrent, too -- they print your name in the paper
>>> when you're arrested for drunk driving, in a column called "Drunk
>>> and In Jail." I'm not kidding.

>> In which state is that? Not in the one in which I live.

> NSW, circa 1980, when they first started doing it. My friend in
> Queensland says they still do.

We don't do it in Victoria and my guess would be most states don't do it
either.

--

A: Top-posters.

Rick Onanian wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:33:42 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> To one-up that, Australia has drive-through liquor stores!

> These exist in the US, too, at least in Massachusetts.

I'll have a look when I'm up there tomorrow. Is that what they call a "packie?"

Matt O.

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

> BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about your duty to report the incident to the
> police

Always remember the old adage: "I read it on Usenet, so it must be
true." Then Google for "Fishman" and "Spike Bike."

RFM

DRS wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> DRS wrote:
>>> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> In which state is that? Not in the one in which I live.

>> NSW, circa 1980, when they first started doing it. My friend in
>> Queensland says they still do.

> We don't do it in Victoria and my guess would be most states don't do
> it either.

It would never fly here (US), that's for sure -- innocent until proven guilty,
and all that.

Matt O.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:44:48 +1000, "DRS"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> To one-up that, Australia has drive-through liquor stores!

>> These exist in the US, too, at least in Massachusetts.

>How common are they? I don't remember seeing any in my trips to Mass. in
>the early 90s, but they're very common over here.

Probably not that common, but there are at least two. I'm pretty
sure at least one of them is in the North Attleboro/Plainville area.
I don't remember where I saw the other one.
--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:06:47 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Rick Onanian wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> To one-up that, Australia has drive-through liquor stores!

>> These exist in the US, too, at least in Massachusetts.

>I'll have a look when I'm up there tomorrow. Is that what they call a "packie?"

I've never heard that term, but I'll assume that it's short for
"package store". For the life of me, I can't understand why liquor
stores are called "package stores", but I guess it's a regional
thing. I live in Rhode Island, where I _haven't_ seen any
drive-through liquor stores (or "packies").

Anybody care to explain the odd term for such stores?

While we're talking about odd liquor store naming...in Salem, MA,
there's a liquor store called Bunghole Liquors.
http://www.bungholeliquors.com/history.html
--
Rick Onanian

On 17 Jun 2004 13:50:02 -0700, [email protected] (Fritz M) wrote:
>Then Google for "Fishman" and "Spike Bike.

Yeah, thanks a lot. I really planned to spend my evening reading
violent stories, when I've got a mile-long "to do" list.
--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:02:34 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

> You know about services like http://www.tinyurl.com?

With all due respect, I'd like to point out that not everyone prefers
the use of these services. Personally, I like to know a little about
where the link will lead me, and using tinyurl obscures that.

Reid

>I noticed some of the worst driving ever in New Orleans, drunk or not.

Indeed! Between giant potholes, crackfiend drivers fleeing law enforcement,
drunk wannabe kamikaze drivers, and visiting Texans, this place is really
exciting to drive around in.

That's why I finally mounted a 20mm cannon on my bike...

<big grin>

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

"Leo Lichtman" wrote: WD-40 is really not a lubricant--it is a
solvent/penetrant. (clip)
Sorry--wrong thread.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote

> It would never fly here (US), that's for sure -- innocent until proven

guilty,
> and all that.

Cities are starting to talk about printing names of people arrested for
solicitation. Prior to conviction.

Pete