I don't understand - what is this for?

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> Steve Baker wrote:
>> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman > wrote:

<snip>

>>> Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

>> Tom,
>> Basic rule is "If you have to ask, then it's not you."
>> If you don't understand, then you won't enjoy it, so stop worrying,
>> and especially stop denigrating just coz it's beyond you. That's how
>> bigotry starts....

> Geeeze, and I thought it was curiosity.
>
> However, the question remains, is the target market buying the Trek
> 69er, or will 2007 models be available at your local Trek dealer next
> year at a highly discounted price?

Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle
><[email protected]> wrote:

>> > We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.

>> > C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
>> > inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
>> > loaded with punks and poseurs.

>> > JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

>> No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

>If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
>
>JD

Dear JD,

Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Aug 5, 1:46 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> ><[email protected]> wrote:

> >> No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

> >If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

> >JD

> Dear JD,
>
> Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?

'Cuz they're too wimpy to "kick some ass"?

All the serious guys are stylin' at Starbucks, not riding the TdF.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 5, 9:59 am, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Aug 5, 4:24 am, Ozark Bicycle
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Simple experiment: If you have a manual transmission car, try driving
>> > around all day in third, including hills and 'standing starts'. All
>> > day, or as long as ya can stand it.

>> Put the banjo down and go ride your bike.
>>
>> JD

> Anything you say, asshole.

Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

Gary

In article
<[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com">
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it
> > > just a demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller
> > > rear wheel provide any real advantage?
> > >
> > > What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

> > > Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

> > personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and a
> > singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

> Fixed gears are just fun, but there is the "hipster effect" that extends
> the adoption of these things beyond fun and into "cool." Or is that
> "kool?" I can't keep up with what's hip. I used to fixed gear a lot
> but a martial arts knee injury and surgery has ended that- I suspect
> that the effects of descending would be damaging. I do have a single
> speed road bike that is- again- just plain fun. Eliminating gearing
> decisions from the ride lets me just pay attention to the ride and not
> to the bike. And, heck, on my bikes with derailleurs it's not uncommon
> for me to go on a ride of 50 miles and never shift gears.
>
> I think MTBs are generally useless, let alone single speed MTBs, so I'm
> not so much the right person to comment on that subset.
>
> A few years ago, Dirt Rag Magazine (or similar) published the "cheapest,
> easiest single speed conversion:" "Take your bike and put it in a
> medium gear. Never shift again."

Now _that_ is cool, saying it in a publication.

I have done that exercise. Learned a lot, improved my cycling.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > See <http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html>.

> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman > wrote:
> > Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just a
> > demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
> > provide any real advantage?
> > What is the deal with single-speed anyway?
> > Are there prudish Trek dealers out there who will not carry this bike
> > because the name, or dealers who would be afraid of offending their
> > customers? Is the "69er" name meant to appeal to the BMX crowd who buys
> > products such as the "Snafu Rim Job" tires?
> > Is the Waterloo, Wisconsin water supply contaminated with a parasite
> > that causes brain dysfunction?
> > Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

> Cannondog made a 26/24 bike at one time.
> Bill Boston built small front/large rear, much copied.
>
> Target? PT Barnum observed the effect long ago.

Target for small front wheels: riders at 5' 4" and shorter.

--
Michael Press

In article <rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09>,
Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
> tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

From a plea for sanity and tolerance
to mud-slinging in a single bound.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09>,
> Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
>> tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

> From a plea for sanity and tolerance
> to mud-slinging in a single bound.

I was referring to the rec.bike.* crowd - I know AM-B are FAR less
well-dressed than "raggedy" could possibly imply. ;-)

On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Aug 5, 9:59 am, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Put the banjo down and go ride your bike.

> >> JD

> > Anything you say, asshole.

> Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

Please do excuse my reluctance to cast pearls before swine.

In article <[email protected]>,
JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote:
> > personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
> > a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

> We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.
>
> > i pass at least 5 fixies
> > a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
> > happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
> > sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
> > up those hills.

> C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
> inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
> loaded with punks and poseurs.
>
> JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

yah, okay. no more red bull for you, d00d.

i'm sure that for some people the simplicity is an attraction.
me, not so much. maybe you're in that group. i'm also sure that
for some people riding a fixie is just a way of saying "i'm
OUT there". maybe you're in that group. here's a test question:
how do you feel about The Man trying to legislate the requirement
for at least one brake on your surly, or soma, or whatever it
is?

and yes, my weekday ride is loaded with punks and poseurs. it's
washington dc, and pretty much every activity around here can
be loaded with punks and poseurs.

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:45:31 -0700, JD wrote:

> C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
> inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
> loaded with punks and poseurs.

I ride with a few people who have both geared and SS road bikes, and
may come out on either. They say that the spinning and grinding required
on a SS is good training, and they may well be right, but overall they're
much slower on the SS, and get tired more quickly.

Unless you're riding with people weaker than yourself, it's inconsiderate
to slow down the group - IMHO they should save the SS for solo rides.

Fred Clydesdale wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote:
>
>> Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just a
>> demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
>> provide any real advantage?
>>
>> What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

>> Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

> personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
> a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless. i pass at least 5 fixies
> a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
> happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
> sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
> up those hills.

Interesting, I'm out of shape but I pass more people going up hills on
my fixed than on my geared bike. Either you're just plain old fitter
than those guys or you're full of ****.

Going downhill is another matter.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Aug 4, 7:45 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
>>> a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

>> We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.
>>
>>> i pass at least 5 fixies
>>> a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
>>> happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
>>> sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
>>> up those hills.

>> C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
>> inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
>> loaded with punks and poseurs.
>>
>> JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

> No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

JD's a freak no matter what bike he's on.

Greg
--

Chalo wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

>> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

> If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
> kidding yourself.

Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
downhill on the fixed).

Greg

--

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Interesting, I'm out of shape but I pass more people going up hills on
> my fixed than on my geared bike. Either you're just plain old fitter
> than those guys or you're full of ****.

a little from column A, a little from column B...

i think the problem most people with geared bikes have is that they
tend to think "hill: first gear". that doesn't make it HURT any less,
it just makes it hurt LONGER.

me? i like the suffering. but i'd rather suffer with my 39-21 than
a 45-15 or whatever. anything higher and i'm just grinding.

> Going downhill is another matter.

i guess it either helps your spin or breaks your legs off at high
speeds.

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
> Chalo wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>>> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

>> If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
>> kidding yourself.
>>

> Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
> his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
> downhill on the fixed).

Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

>> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
>>
>> JD

> Dear JD,
>
> Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?
>
> Cheers,

Why don't they use 11-34 cogs and triple cranksets?

Greg

--

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09>,
> Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
>> tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

> From a plea for sanity and tolerance
> to mud-slinging in a single bound.

I don't think that was mud-slinging. More likely it was
self-deprecating group humor on the a.m-b side.

Greg

--

Steve Baker wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> In article <rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09>,
>> Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
>>> tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

>> From a plea for sanity and tolerance to mud-slinging in a single bound.
>>

> I was referring to the rec.bike.* crowd - I know AM-B are FAR less
> well-dressed than "raggedy" could possibly imply. ;-)

Hahaha, I guess I was wrong.

Greg