I finally did it.

Goose5

Mar 4, 2009
Well, I finally pulled the trigger. When I test rode this bike I was not impressed. This was my first time on a carbon frame so I didn't know what to expect. This was the only bike I test rode. I wanted to try a Cervelo RS but I just couldn't find a 2011 model. Every time I flipped the coin it came up Cannondale. My last post here lamented the fact that my test ride revealed I could still feel the bumps. I didn't have an epic "magic carpet ride" experience I had read about in the reviews. Before I left the LBS I had them weigh the bike. 19 lbs. Slightly disappointed again. I got the Synapse 4 Indigo blue model. After 6 weeks on this bike I love it. The ride smooths out significantly when you get above 15 mph. Aksium wheels, FSA crank, and 20 year old Look pedals will be replaced for weigh savings. Hopefully, I can get it down to the 17 pound + or - range advertized. Any other weight savings tips?

Sorry. No photo. I am on a new computer so I don't know what the problem is.

The adverised weight must be coming from the LBS. Cannondale does not list bike weights on the bikes anywhere. The Synapse carbon is a wonderful bike the rides great. If you were concerned about weight and performance you should have picked up the CAAD. The CAAD series are lighter and more stable at higher speeds.

The "advertized weight" I was refering to comes from Bicycling Magazine. June 2011. They report the Synapse 3 54cm weighs 17.18 lbs.

19 pounds for a carbon frame bike? Whoa! That thing really does need a diet! I'm thinking the best places to look for weight savings will be the wheels and pedals. It is surprising how much some pedals weigh. Might look at the handlebar and stem as well. Good possibiity you could shave off a quarter of a pound or more there too. I'm not much of a weight weenie, so I'm not sure if I am leading you in the right direction or not. Hopefully some of the real weight weenies will chime in with some advice for you.

The Carbon 3 has a carbon fiber crank and lighter wheels than the Carbon 4. The Ultegra group is probably a little lighter than the Rival group. The MSRP of the 3 over the 4 is 600.00 you should be able to lighten up your bike for less than this if you make your upgrades in the right area. As kdelong has stated check with MMMHILLS he should be able to guide you in the right direction giving you your lightest bang for the buck options.

davereo said:
The Carbon 3 has a carbon fiber crank and lighter wheels than the Carbon 4. The Ultegra group is probably a little lighter than the Rival group. The MSRP of the 3 over the 4 is 600.00 you should be able to lighten up your bike for less than this if you make your upgrades in the right area. As kdelong has stated check with MMMHILLS he should be able to guide you in the right direction giving you your lightest bang for the buck options.
I think total weight on rival is actually a few grams less than ultegra.