I HATE Presta valves!

On Thu, 29 May 2003 06:03:46 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On the contrary, they inflate to about half to a third of the pressure you need. They're mostly
>> used to top off car tires, at least here, not to fill them from empty. It's not like anyone
>> *ever* repairs their own flat car tyres..
>
>It's not the volume of the tire that's the problem, it's the pressure. Since gas station air pumps
>have reservoir tanks and electric compressors, they can pretty much generate as much air as
>necessary. But cars only require about 30-60 psi, and if your roadie tire needs 120 and the pump
>can only output 90, you're going to be unhappy.

The models I'm familiar with have a digital setting for how many bar the thing needs to output, and
then when you hold it to your tires, it fills them to the set pressure. Said pressure is usually
less than half a bicycle's tire pressure, so not terribly useful for that.

Jasper

On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:03:49 -0400, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>> And this would not kill auto tyres nearly as fast?
>
>No; because of the larger volume in the car tire, the pressure in the tire doesn't build nearly as
>fast, and you have time to react.

Over 100 gallons at 150 psi, directly connected to a car tyre rated at maybe just over 30? Not
without some sort of flow limiting valve, I'd imagine.

Jasper

On Fri, 30 May 2003 20:54:15 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:03:49 -0400, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>>> And this would not kill auto tyres nearly as fast?
>>
>>No; because of the larger volume in the car tire, the pressure in the tire doesn't build nearly as
>>fast, and you have time to react.
>
>Over 100 gallons at 150 psi, directly connected to a car tyre rated at maybe just over 30? Not
>without some sort of flow limiting valve, I'd imagine.
>
>Jasper
I'd think that the length and interior diameter of the air hose qualify it as a flow limiting valve.

> On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:03:49 -0400, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> >> And this would not kill auto tyres nearly as fast?
> >
> >No; because of the larger volume in the car tire, the pressure in the tire doesn't build nearly
> >as fast, and you have time to react.
>
> Over 100 gallons at 150 psi, directly connected to a car tyre rated at maybe just over 30? Not
> without some sort of flow limiting valve, I'd imagine.

There's quite a small flow constrictor already in the system: the hose nozzle and the tire valve.
I've never had a problem controlling the pressure in a care tire, even from 150 psi air systems
(which my grandfather had on his farm). It takes have several seconds to put even 10 psi of pressure
into a tire the size of a car.