I overslept and missed the morning ride ...

Sandy

Guest
.... so I spent some time catching up on the news.

A race war is to be admired in Israel.
A race war is criminal in Serbia.

A muslim woman can be condemned to death in Malaysia by a sharia court, and
civil courts may not intervene.
A catholic girl in America may get an abortion if she wants, and her parents
are prevented from exercising their influence by civil courts.

Kosovo is an ethnic province that should be independent.
Transdnestr is an ethnic province that should not be independent.

Palestine is a state.
Palestine is a state of mind.

Turkey is in Europe.
Turkey is in Asia minor.

Kazakhstan has a nice dictator.
Turkmenistan has a bad dictator.

Chavez harvests grapes.
Chavez harvests petroleum.

China is our friend.
China is our enemy.

Ozone is poison.
Ozone is a shield against poison.

Europe is democratic.
Europe has 7 hereditary monarchies.

Safety equipment makes cars better.
Safety equipment costs carbon points as cars get heavier.

The melting Arctic ocean will flood inhabited regions.
Real estate law is not well developed in Antarctica.

Shimano is better than Campagnolo.
Campagnolo is better than Shimano.

It seems impossible for just one person to put in a light bulb.

Doping is (is not) a problem in cycling.
Doping is (is not) a problem in general.

News of the day from various "highly regarded" sources.
--
Sandy
-

- Richard Lewontin

Sandy wrote:
> ... so I spent some time catching up on the news.
>
> A race war is to be admired in Israel.
> A race war is criminal in Serbia.
>
> A muslim woman can be condemned to death in Malaysia by a sharia court, and
> civil courts may not intervene.
> A catholic girl in America may get an abortion if she wants, and her parents
> are prevented from exercising their influence by civil courts.
>
> Kosovo is an ethnic province that should be independent.
> Transdnestr is an ethnic province that should not be independent.
>
> Palestine is a state.
> Palestine is a state of mind.
>
> Turkey is in Europe.
> Turkey is in Asia minor.
>
> Kazakhstan has a nice dictator.
> Turkmenistan has a bad dictator.
>
> Chavez harvests grapes.
> Chavez harvests petroleum.
>
> China is our friend.
> China is our enemy.
>
> Ozone is poison.
> Ozone is a shield against poison.
>
> Europe is democratic.
> Europe has 7 hereditary monarchies.
>
> Safety equipment makes cars better.
> Safety equipment costs carbon points as cars get heavier.
>
> The melting Arctic ocean will flood inhabited regions.
> Real estate law is not well developed in Antarctica.
>
> Shimano is better than Campagnolo.
> Campagnolo is better than Shimano.
>
> It seems impossible for just one person to put in a light bulb.
>
> Doping is (is not) a problem in cycling.
> Doping is (is not) a problem in general.
>
> News of the day from various "highly regarded" sources.

We need a bibliography.

Steve

rechungREMOVETHIS wrote:
> I'm thinkin' Sandy needs an alarm clock.

He also forgot to vote.

Donald Munro <[email protected]> writes:

> rechungREMOVETHIS wrote:
>> I'm thinkin' Sandy needs an alarm clock.

> He also forgot to vote.

Wouldn't have made any difference

The Lemmings turned out in droves to be led to the Cliff by a Traitor

--
Davey Crockett

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Donald Munro <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> rechungREMOVETHIS wrote:
>> I'm thinkin' Sandy needs an alarm clock.

> He also forgot to vote.

Didn't forget - didn't agonize - we are going to be proud Bush Republicans
here.

Sandy wrote:
> Didn't forget - didn't agonize - we are going to be proud Bush Republicans
> here.

Time to re-open Devil's Island as the new Guantanamo.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sandy wrote:
>> Didn't forget - didn't agonize - we are going to be proud Bush
>> Republicans
>> here.

> Time to re-open Devil's Island as the new Guantanamo.

Kind of U.S. centric, aren't you? Guantanamo is the new Devils Island. Give
credit where credit is due, even if IMO it wasn't either Hoffman's or
McQueen's best movie (I'm trying to not be U.S. centric, but we must have
our filters).

--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sandy wrote:
>>> Didn't forget - didn't agonize - we are going to be proud Bush
>>> Republicans
>>> here.

>> Time to re-open Devil's Island as the new Guantanamo.
>>

> Kind of U.S. centric, aren't you? Guantanamo is the new Devils Island.

Certainly not. You had to be convicted to be sent to Devils Island.

Benjo

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Kind of U.S. centric, aren't you? Guantanamo is the new Devils Island.

> Certainly not. You had to be convicted to be sent to Devils Island.
>
> Benjo

More with the technicalities. Sentence them first, then the convictions,
later the trials. Keeps them off the streets while we decide what to do with
them. Which, of course, made a tad more sense when we are talking about
people that were on our streets to begin with.

I have to say that this is an area that in reality is far from humorous.
Having worked in a prison system for three years, more or less, and only
8-10 hours a day, and of that, only a few hours a day in the cellblocks, I
still have a better idea than most of what its like to spend significant
time incarcerated. Pulling out of the war is one thing - the citizens of the
U.S. can at least argue about the difficulties of disengagement. There is no
reason for this to continue. The Guantanamo prison facilities should be
closed now and an unbiased board review those held at Guantanamo - and the
half that are left should be transferred to more humane sites, open to
normal review. Now. Today.

This **** isn't why I served thirty years ago and aren't the values that I
went voluntary draft to represent. We were the war that popularized the
concept, "destroy the village to save it" - now this administration brings
it home and applies it to the values we should be representing.

Oops, think I'm channeling Bill C. there for a moment. Sorry Bill.

May write Powell in for President, even if it appears now to be the last
thing he wants.

--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 11, 6:32 pm, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> May write Powell in for President

> I thought your idea of a centrist ticket was Lieberman/McCain.

That certainly has changed over the last few months and more than a bit over
the weekend. Lets just say that I still respect both of them for being
relatively blunt, but question their judgment a lot more since the last
election. Actually, since last Friday...

If Unity08 doesn't come up with a decent set of candidates, I may go with
Powell and figure out over the next few months who to put second. Maybe
Robin Williams, so no one would want to take a shot at Powell. Ever.

--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)

On Jun 11, 2:03 am, Davey Crockett <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Donald Munro <[email protected]> writes:
> > rechungREMOVETHIS wrote:
> >> I'm thinkin' Sandy needs an alarm clock.

> > He also forgot to vote.

> Wouldn't have made any difference
>
> The Lemmings turned out in droves to be led to the Cliff by a Traitor

I always find it interesting that those who consider themselves
educated always consider the majority of their countrymen to be
absolute idiots.

On Jun 11, 9:32 am, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >> Kind of U.S. centric, aren't you? Guantanamo is the new Devils Island.

> > Certainly not. You had to be convicted to be sent to Devils Island.

> > Benjo

> More with the technicalities. Sentence them first, then the convictions,
> later the trials. Keeps them off the streets while we decide what to do with
> them. Which, of course, made a tad more sense when we are talking about
> people that were on our streets to begin with.
>
> I have to say that this is an area that in reality is far from humorous.
> Having worked in a prison system for three years, more or less, and only
> 8-10 hours a day, and of that, only a few hours a day in the cellblocks, I
> still have a better idea than most of what its like to spend significant
> time incarcerated. Pulling out of the war is one thing - the citizens of the
> U.S. can at least argue about the difficulties of disengagement. There is no
> reason for this to continue. The Guantanamo prison facilities should be
> closed now and an unbiased board review those held at Guantanamo - and the
> half that are left should be transferred to more humane sites, open to
> normal review. Now. Today.
>
> This **** isn't why I served thirty years ago and aren't the values that I
> went voluntary draft to represent. We were the war that popularized the
> concept, "destroy the village to save it" - now this administration brings
> it home and applies it to the values we should be representing.
>
> Oops, think I'm channeling Bill C. there for a moment. Sorry Bill.
>
> May write Powell in for President, even if it appears now to be the last
> thing he wants.

Excuse me, I forget - how long did they hold the German, Italian and
Japanese prisoners during WW II?

On Jun 11, 10:20 am, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> On Jun 11, 6:32 pm, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> May write Powell in for President

> > I thought your idea of a centrist ticket was Lieberman/McCain.

> That certainly has changed over the last few months and more than a bit over
> the weekend. Lets just say that I still respect both of them for being
> relatively blunt, but question their judgment a lot more since the last
> election. Actually, since last Friday...
>
> If Unity08 doesn't come up with a decent set of candidates, I may go with
> Powell and figure out over the next few months who to put second. Maybe
> Robin Williams, so no one would want to take a shot at Powell. Ever.
>
> --
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BjrOi4vF24

On Jun 11, 12:32 pm, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >> Kind of U.S. centric, aren't you? Guantanamo is the new Devils Island.

> > Certainly not. You had to be convicted to be sent to Devils Island.

> > Benjo

> More with the technicalities. Sentence them first, then the convictions,
> later the trials. Keeps them off the streets while we decide what to do with
> them. Which, of course, made a tad more sense when we are talking about
> people that were on our streets to begin with.
>
> I have to say that this is an area that in reality is far from humorous.
> Having worked in a prison system for three years, more or less, and only
> 8-10 hours a day, and of that, only a few hours a day in the cellblocks, I
> still have a better idea than most of what its like to spend significant
> time incarcerated. Pulling out of the war is one thing - the citizens of the
> U.S. can at least argue about the difficulties of disengagement. There is no
> reason for this to continue. The Guantanamo prison facilities should be
> closed now and an unbiased board review those held at Guantanamo - and the
> half that are left should be transferred to more humane sites, open to
> normal review. Now. Today.
>
> This **** isn't why I served thirty years ago and aren't the values that I
> went voluntary draft to represent. We were the war that popularized the
> concept, "destroy the village to save it" - now this administration brings
> it home and applies it to the values we should be representing.
>
> Oops, think I'm channeling Bill C. there for a moment. Sorry Bill.
>
> May write Powell in for President, even if it appears now to be the last
> thing he wants.
>
> --
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Hey Curtis
As I was reading it I was cheering and going "Hell YEAH!!".
Bill C

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 11, 9:32 am, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Certainly not. You had to be convicted to be sent to Devils Island.

>> > Benjo

>> More with the technicalities. Sentence them first, then the convictions,
>> later the trials. Keeps them off the streets while we decide what to do
>> with
>> them. Which, of course, made a tad more sense when we are talking about
>> people that were on our streets to begin with.
>>
>> I have to say that this is an area that in reality is far from humorous.
>> Having worked in a prison system for three years, more or less, and only
>> 8-10 hours a day, and of that, only a few hours a day in the cellblocks,
>> still have a better idea than most of what its like to spend significant
>> time incarcerated. Pulling out of the war is one thing - the citizens of
>> the
>> U.S. can at least argue about the difficulties of disengagement. There is
>> no
>> reason for this to continue. The Guantanamo prison facilities should be
>> closed now and an unbiased board review those held at Guantanamo - and
>> the
>> half that are left should be transferred to more humane sites, open to
>> normal review. Now. Today.
>>
>> This **** isn't why I served thirty years ago and aren't the values that
>> went voluntary draft to represent. We were the war that popularized the
>> concept, "destroy the village to save it" - now this administration
>> brings
>> it home and applies it to the values we should be representing.
>>
>> Oops, think I'm channeling Bill C. there for a moment. Sorry Bill.
>>
>> May write Powell in for President, even if it appears now to be the last
>> thing he wants.

> Excuse me, I forget - how long did they hold the German, Italian and
> Japanese prisoners during WW II?

You mean the prisoners of Guantanamo are prisoners of war after all?

Benjo

In article <[email protected]>,
"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Jun 11, 6:32 pm, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> May write Powell in for President

> > I thought your idea of a centrist ticket was Lieberman/McCain.
> >

> That certainly has changed over the last few months and more than a bit over
> the weekend. Lets just say that I still respect both of them for being
> relatively blunt, but question their judgment a lot more since the last
> election. Actually, since last Friday...
>
> If Unity08 doesn't come up with a decent set of candidates, I may go with
> Powell and figure out over the next few months who to put second. Maybe
> Robin Williams, so no one would want to take a shot at Powell. Ever.

Tancredo / Sharpton doesn't work for you as Unity '08?

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Excuse me, I forget - how long did they hold the German, Italian and
>> Japanese prisoners during WW II?

> You mean the prisoners of Guantanamo are prisoners of war after all?

If you charge them you may have to charge them with a capital offense.
Better to keep them on ice and have the chance that these militants can
someday go home or be traded for someone important to us.

On Jun 11, 8:09 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Excuse me, I forget - how long did they hold the German, Italian and
> >> Japanese prisoners during WW II?

> > You mean the prisoners of Guantanamo are prisoners of war after all?

> If you charge them you may have to charge them with a capital offense.
> Better to keep them on ice and have the chance that these militants can
> someday go home or be traded for someone important to us.

Dumbass,

Prisoners are not like rear derailleurs. You aren't
supposed to see a couple of them priced cheap on a tarp
at the Kabul swap meet, buy them up and store them in a
cardboard box in your shed, just in case you need them
as a replacement someday. At least, you aren't supposed
to do that in a democracy with rules and laws (For
prisoners, I mean. You can do whatever you want with
rear derailleurs, at least until the Transportation Safety
Administration comes up with some reason to object
to them.)

If these guys are so bad, put them on trial. The real
reason most of them are not on trial is that the evidence
against them is either flimsy or inadmissible (hearsay,
obtained by torture, hearsay obtained by torture, and
so on). Even the government more or less admits this,
as seen by its filings in the Padilla case. Anyway,
if our kangaroo courts accidentally convicted one of
these shmucks of a capital crime, the US could always
commute the sentence if they wanted to exchange
the prisoner later.

Ben
Obviously if you were arrested you must have been
a counterrevolutionary, because if you weren't a
counterrevolutionary, why would you have been arrested?