I would like to buy a custom (non-folding) commuter bike on the Internet

Peter Cole wrote:

> landotter wrote:
> >
> > But that little guy looks like serious fun, I mean
> > seriously stupid city fun! An Alfine hub with trigger shifter--nice.

> Looks like the geometry of a folder in a bike that doesn't fold. I don't
> get it -- a worst of both worlds design?

To me, it looks like the geometry of a medium sized MTB, but with
small wheels. "One size" is a worse idea with slack-head/steep-seat
MTB geometry than it is with more conventional folders, because on a
one-size MTB the cockpit gets smaller as you get taller.

It reminds me more of a Burro Bike than a folder.

http://burrobikes.com/specs.html

It looks like the Hooligan and the Burro Bike have different mission
profiles in mind, but they are both designed for a sort of riding that
would clap out a folding bike real quick like.

I have noticed that hucking bikes also usually feature one-size frame
geometry. I think they are a much better standard by which to compare
a bike like the Cannondale Hooligan:

http://www.ghybikes.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=347

I also notice that there is nothing at all like the Hooligan in
Cannondale's 2008 US-market lineup.

Chalo

On Feb 8, 4:35 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
> > landotter wrote:

> > > But that little guy looks like serious fun, I mean
> > > seriously stupid city fun! An Alfine hub with trigger shifter--nice.

> > Looks like the geometry of a folder in a bike that doesn't fold. I don't
> > get it -- a worst of both worlds design?

> To me, it looks like the geometry of a medium sized MTB, but with
> small wheels. "One size" is a worse idea with slack-head/steep-seat
> MTB geometry than it is with more conventional folders, because on a
> one-size MTB the cockpit gets smaller as you get taller.
>
> It reminds me more of a Burro Bike than a folder.
>
> http://burrobikes.com/specs.html
>
> It looks like the Hooligan and the Burro Bike have different mission
> profiles in mind, but they are both designed for a sort of riding that
> would clap out a folding bike real quick like.
>
> I have noticed that hucking bikes also usually feature one-size frame
> geometry. I think they are a much better standard by which to compare
> a bike like the Cannondale Hooligan:
>
> http://www.ghybikes.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=347
>
> I also notice that there is nothing at all like the Hooligan in
> Cannondale's 2008 US-market lineup.
>
> Chalo

We also don't get the Cannondale Nexus trekking bike that's specced
like pretty much all modern utility bike you see in northern Europe:

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8SR5N.html

To their credit, Trek did try and sell their deluxe hub geared
trekking bike in the US with little success--so there's precedent for
not selling here. It does make me jealous when I'm in Gothenburg at a
bike shop and see such a bike with chain case and generator hub,
perfectly specced for a good price that's good to go right out the
door. Heck, you can even buy skirt/coat guards at the department store
over there. Bastards.

landotter wrote:
> ...It does make me jealous when I'm in Gothenburg at a
> bike shop and see such a bike with chain case and generator hub,
> perfectly specced for a good price that's good to go right out the
> door. Heck, you can even buy skirt/coat guards at the department store
> over there....

Why not bring one back? Did bicycles stop being no extra charge on
international flights?

On Feb 8, 6:24 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > ...It does make me jealous when I'm in Gothenburg at a
> > bike shop and see such a bike with chain case and generator hub,
> > perfectly specced for a good price that's good to go right out the
> > door. Heck, you can even buy skirt/coat guards at the department store
> > over there....

> Why not bring one back? Did bicycles stop being no extra charge on
> international flights?

I usually don't have $1000 plus duty that I can just drop when I'm
over there, and taking a bike box on the airport bus would be sheer
hell. Not worth the hassle.

A Muzi wrote:

>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote

>> Jay Bollyn wrote:
>>> You are right Tom,
>>> If I were to die tonight, and wake up a tree-hugging liberal, with
>>> whatever is the current godless sexual tendency, then LO's suggestion
>>> would be appropriate....

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Please fill me in here. I never liked the "celeste verde" Bianchi
>> color, but never saw any sexual or other demographic connotation to it.
>> What am I missing?

> Yeah, you either like the color[1] of Bartali, Coppi, Argetin and
> Pantani or you don't. Personally, ♥. YMMV.
>
> [1] Or colors. Bianchi Celeste has, over the years, been more greyish,
> more bluish, more greenish and recently with various iridescent tones.

Why do road bikes all look like gay pride parade floats and their riders
dress like clowns?

Never ******** a gay clown. :eek:)

In article <8zfNj.183248$pM4.126707@pd7urf1no>,
wizardB <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Tom Sherman wrote:
> >> Please fill me in here. I never liked the "celeste verde" Bianchi
> >> color, but never saw any sexual or other demographic connotation to it.
> >> What am I missing?

> > Yeah, you either like the color[1] of Bartali, Coppi, Argetin and
> > Pantani or you don't. Personally, ♥. YMMV.
> >
> > [1] Or colors. Bianchi Celeste has, over the years, been more greyish,
> > more bluish, more greenish and recently with various iridescent tones.

> Why do road bikes all look like gay pride parade floats and their riders
> dress like clowns?

To give you something to dream about.

--
Michael Press

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:34:18 -0700, Michael Press <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Why do road bikes all look like gay pride parade floats and their riders
>> dress like clowns?

>To give you something to dream about.

My road bikes come in any color you like (as long as it's black).

As to the gay issue, I don't think there's anything gayer than wearing
spandex pants or similar - in any color.

> My road bikes come in any color you like (as long as it's black).
>
> As to the gay issue, I don't think there's anything gayer than wearing
> spandex pants or similar - in any color.

The real question is, why are you so obsessed with what is gay and what
isn't?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:54:42 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> My road bikes come in any color you like (as long as it's black).
>>
>> As to the gay issue, I don't think there's anything gayer than wearing
>> spandex pants or similar - in any color.

>The real question is, why are you so obsessed with what is gay and what
>isn't?

None of us are obsessed - we're just commenting on it. I think you
have an obsession with gay obsession though - that might be an issue
for you.