I would like to buy a custom (non-folding) commuter bike on the Internet

Chalo Colina wrote:
> landotter wrote:
>> http://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2008/mv9d.html
>>
>> Wow!

> It has ISO 451 rims. Why in the world would that be preferable to ISO
> 406? It's like the 650C of the twenty inch realm.

ISO 451 mm tires and rims are only made underground by gnomes.

The advantage of ISO 451 mm would be slightly lower rolling resistance
and slightly higher gearing with conventional derailer set-ups.
Presumably this is why Green Gear uses that size for their "road bike"
folders and why the "road bike" Minivelo-9D uses the size.

The advantages of ISO 406 mm are stronger wheels for a given rim section
and spoke count and much greater selection of wider rims and wide street
tread tires (no wide 451 mm tires are available).

For a fair weather only, club type riding road bicycle with small
wheels, I would consider ISO 451 mm wheels. For other uses, such as
commuting, errand running, touring and light off-road duty, stick with
ISO 406 mm.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> landotter aka terra lutra wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2008/mv9d.html
>>>
>>> Wow!
>>>

>> A road bicycle with proper size wheels. To bad about the color (not a
>> celeste verde fan).
>>

> You are right Tom,
>
> If I were to die tonight, and wake up a tree-hugging liberal, with whatever
> is the current godless sexual tendency, then LO's suggestion would be
> appropriate....

Please fill me in here. I never liked the "celeste verde" Bianchi color,
but never saw any sexual or other demographic connotation to it.

What am I missing?

On Jan 26, 12:15 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am going to spend my tax refund check on a second bike. My current bike is
> a folderhttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/arkel/seat-mast-left.jpg . I
> don't need a folder anymore, but I do want to stick with 20" wheels, because
> they make my intermodal commute much easier, especially on the commuter
> train, and going up/down narrow escalators and stairs.
>
> Regular RBTers know that I commute 20 miles daily, year round, in Chicago. I
> need a bike which will be strong enough to support the load (220 lbs body
> weight + 30 lbs cargo). It also needs to be big enough for my 6'4" height.
>
> Since I am commuting and not racing, I don't need to spend a lot of money on
> cutting edge parts, in an attempt to get the lightest possible bike. But I
> do insist on quality and reliability, and will pay extra to get it.
>
> The bike also needs to be able to handle year round weather, without a lot
> of fussing. One thing I am reasonably sure of, is I need brakes which are
> not rim brakes. When I previously asked a related question here, it was
> suggested I use hub brakes. Is that the consensus choice?
>
> I am currently using an 8-speed cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur,
> single chain ring. This is enough gears for me.
>
> I had some wheels built, with Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims, Schwalbe Marathon Plus
> tires. These are working great, and I rarely flat, which is a high priority
> for me.
>
> Do I need a custom frame, or is there a stock frame which will work? I would
> like to keep this purchase under $800, but I will pay somewhat more if
> necessary.
>
> Thanks to previous suggestions from RBT, I am not quite as clueless as when
> I bought my folder two years ago. But I still obviously need plenty of help.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions - J.

http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm has 10 dealers in the chicago
area.
Hybrid style frame, Internal geared hub, front hub generator and
lights, rack.

[email protected] aka Mike Schwab wrote:
> On Jan 26, 12:15 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am going to spend my tax refund check on a second bike. My current bike is
>> a folderhttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/arkel/seat-mast-left.jpg . I
>> don't need a folder anymore, but I do want to stick with 20" wheels, because
>> they make my intermodal commute much easier, especially on the commuter
>> train, and going up/down narrow escalators and stairs.
>>
>> Regular RBTers know that I commute 20 miles daily, year round, in Chicago. I
>> need a bike which will be strong enough to support the load (220 lbs body
>> weight + 30 lbs cargo). It also needs to be big enough for my 6'4" height.
>>
>> Since I am commuting and not racing, I don't need to spend a lot of money on
>> cutting edge parts, in an attempt to get the lightest possible bike. But I
>> do insist on quality and reliability, and will pay extra to get it.
>>
>> The bike also needs to be able to handle year round weather, without a lot
>> of fussing. One thing I am reasonably sure of, is I need brakes which are
>> not rim brakes. When I previously asked a related question here, it was
>> suggested I use hub brakes. Is that the consensus choice?
>>
>> I am currently using an 8-speed cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur,
>> single chain ring. This is enough gears for me.
>>
>> I had some wheels built, with Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims, Schwalbe Marathon Plus
>> tires. These are working great, and I rarely flat, which is a high priority
>> for me.
>>
>> Do I need a custom frame, or is there a stock frame which will work? I would
>> like to keep this purchase under $800, but I will pay somewhat more if
>> necessary.
>>
>> Thanks to previous suggestions from RBT, I am not quite as clueless as when
>> I bought my folder two years ago. But I still obviously need plenty of help.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions - J.

> http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm has 10 dealers in the chicago
> area.
> Hybrid style frame, Internal geared hub, front hub generator and
> lights, rack.

butbutbut, no fixed frame bicycles with ISO 406 mm wheels.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:30:11 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jay Bollyn wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> A road bicycle with proper size wheels. To bad about the color (not a
>>> celeste verde fan).
>>>

>> You are right Tom,
>>
>> If I were to die tonight, and wake up a tree-hugging liberal, with whatever
>> is the current godless sexual tendency, then LO's suggestion would be
>> appropriate....
> >

>Please fill me in here. I never liked the "celeste verde" Bianchi color,
>but never saw any sexual or other demographic connotation to it.
>
>What am I missing?

Actually, I think the PP is missing something. If her were to die
tonight, chances are the he wouldn't wake up tomorrow - at least the
way I've heard it works. I think he's got some misconceptions.

Andrew Price wrote:
> *Yawn*
> My only suggestion would be to keep US politics out of rbt. Is this
> possible?

And even that's less frustrating than Italian politics (rough week).
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew Muzi wrote:
>> "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [---]
>>> My only suggestion would be to keep your left-coast politics distinct
>>> from your expert bike advice? Is this possible?

> Andrew Price wrote:
>> *Yawn*
>> My only suggestion would be to keep US politics out of rbt. Is this
>> possible?

> And even that's less frustrating than Italian politics (rough week).

At least for the four decades following WW2, if you did not like the
Italian government, all you had to do was wait a couple of months for a
new one.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Please fill me in here. I never liked the "celeste verde" Bianchi color,
> but never saw any sexual or other demographic connotation to it.
> What am I missing?

Yeah, you either like the color[1] of Bartali, Coppi, Argetin and
Pantani or you don't. Personally, ♥. YMMV.

[1] Or colors. Bianchi Celeste has, over the years, been more greyish,
more bluish, more greenish and recently with various iridescent tones.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> (I do realize I might be cited by the Snip Police, but I truly think all the
> previous data is relevant. So I have made no attempt to reduce the bit
> traffic over the wire.)

At your service. You may excise signatures at will;
in fact, it is recommended.
OO

--
Michael Press

> On Jan 26, 12:15 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am going to spend my tax refund check on a second bike. My current bike
>> is
>> a folderhttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/arkel/seat-mast-left.jpg . I
>> don't need a folder anymore, but I do want to stick with 20" wheels,
>> because
>> they make my intermodal commute much easier, especially on the commuter
>> train, and going up/down narrow escalators and stairs.
>>
>> Regular RBTers know that I commute 20 miles daily, year round, in
>> Chicago. I
>> need a bike which will be strong enough to support the load (220 lbs body
>> weight + 30 lbs cargo). It also needs to be big enough for my 6'4"
>> height.
>> (snip)
>> Thanks to previous suggestions from RBT, I am not quite as clueless as
>> when
>> I bought my folder two years ago. But I still obviously need plenty of
>> help.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions - J.

> http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm has 10 dealers in the chicago
> area.
> Hybrid style frame, Internal geared hub, front hub generator and
> lights, rack.

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful, detailed advice. It looks
like this is going to be a $1000 expense, so I obviously want to get the
most appropriate bike possible.

I have reconsidered my 20" wheel requirement. I am now thinking about a
'commuter bike' with 26" wheels http://www.commuterbicycle.com/ . It won't
be as convenient in the train, and on escalators / stairs, but I think I can
adjust. I think a BMX frame, for my 6'4" height, as a commuter, is just too
much of a stretch.

My next bike will definitely have an internal geared hub, something like the
Shimano http://tinyurl.com/yt5943 . I am tired of fussing with an exposed
derailleur system during the winter. And you guys have convinced me that
fenders are needed for wet conditions.

I am also thinking about a shaft drive system
http://www.sussex.com.tw/se2.htm .

I have several weeks to finalize this decision. (I won't have the money
until then.)

Thanks for your time and expert advice. It has been very helpful.

J.

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Jan 26, 12:15 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I am going to spend my tax refund check on a second bike. My current bike
>>> is
>>> a folderhttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/arkel/seat-mast-left.jpg . I
>>> don't need a folder anymore, but I do want to stick with 20" wheels,
>>> because
>>> they make my intermodal commute much easier, especially on the commuter
>>> train, and going up/down narrow escalators and stairs.
>>>
>>> Regular RBTers know that I commute 20 miles daily, year round, in
>>> Chicago. I
>>> need a bike which will be strong enough to support the load (220 lbs body
>>> weight + 30 lbs cargo). It also needs to be big enough for my 6'4"
>>> height.
>>> (snip)
>>> Thanks to previous suggestions from RBT, I am not quite as clueless as
>>> when
>>> I bought my folder two years ago. But I still obviously need plenty of
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions - J.

>> http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm has 10 dealers in the chicago
>> area.
>> Hybrid style frame, Internal geared hub, front hub generator and
>> lights, rack.
>>

> I would like to thank everyone for their helpful, detailed advice. It looks
> like this is going to be a $1000 expense, so I obviously want to get the
> most appropriate bike possible.
>
> I have reconsidered my 20" wheel requirement. I am now thinking about a
> 'commuter bike' with 26" wheels http://www.commuterbicycle.com/ . It won't
> be as convenient in the train, and on escalators / stairs, but I think I can
> adjust. I think a BMX frame, for my 6'4" height, as a commuter, is just too
> much of a stretch.

butbutbut, 26-inch wheel bicycles are not kawaii, unlike the 20-inch
wheel adult size bicycles! :(

A real advantage of smaller wheels is greater braking power with hub
brakes; especially since bicycle drum brakes are generally not all that
powerful.

> My next bike will definitely have an internal geared hub, something like the
> Shimano http://tinyurl.com/yt5943 . I am tired of fussing with an exposed
> derailleur system during the winter. And you guys have convinced me that
> fenders are needed for wet conditions.
>
> I am also thinking about a shaft drive system
> http://www.sussex.com.tw/se2.htm .
>
> I have several weeks to finalize this decision. (I won't have the money
> until then.)
>
> Thanks for your time and expert advice. It has been very helpful.

Occasionally we can take a break from the bickering to provide useful
advice.

On Jan 26, 6:15 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am going to spend my tax refund check on a second bike. My current bike is
> a folderhttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/arkel/seat-mast-left.jpg .  I
> don't need a folder anymore, but I do want to stick with 20" wheels, because
> they make my intermodal commute much easier, especially on the commuter
> train, and going up/down narrow escalators and stairs.
>
> Regular RBTers know that I commute 20 miles daily, year round, in Chicago.I
> need a bike which will be strong enough to support the load (220 lbs body
> weight + 30 lbs cargo). It also needs to be big enough for my 6'4" height.
>
> Since I am commuting and not racing, I don't need to spend a lot of money on
> cutting edge parts, in an attempt to get the lightest possible bike. But I
> do insist on quality and reliability, and will pay extra to get it.
>
> The bike also needs to be able to handle year round weather, without a lot
> of fussing. One thing I am reasonably sure of, is I need brakes which are
> not rim brakes. When I previously asked a related question here, it was
> suggested I use hub brakes. Is that the consensus choice?
>
> I am currently using an 8-speed cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur,
> single chain ring. This is enough gears for me.
>
> I had some wheels built, with Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims, Schwalbe Marathon Plus
> tires. These are working great, and I rarely flat, which is a high priority
> for me.
>
> Do I need a custom frame, or is there a stock frame which will work? I would
> like to keep this purchase under $800, but I will pay somewhat more if
> necessary.
>
> Thanks to previous suggestions from RBT, I am not quite as clueless as when
> I bought my folder two years ago. But I still obviously need plenty of help.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions - J.

Jay, I haven't read all of this thread, only a few posts near the end,
so you might know some of this already. I work at home so I don't
commute and my bikes are generally well looked after; I do all the
work on them myself.

I have two bikes with Shimano 8 speed hub gears. One is the standard
version, whereas your reference is to the premium version. The other
is the premium version with the gimmick of electronic automatic
shifting. The standard version is more than adequately smooth. The
premium version is a little lighter. Both seem reliable but I don't do
your mileages. The standard version has about 3200km on it, the
premium 1600km in the last 8 months. I went into these hubs thoroughly
before I bought the first of the bikes and discovered they are
reliable beyond peradventure.

You can see these two bikes by following the links at the URL under my
signature.

My Gazelle Toulouse has a disc brake at the front and a roller brake
of an older design (41 series) at the back. The disc brake is overkill
even for my 215 pounds and the hill around here. On hand of the
experience with the disc brake, I specified my next city-sports bike
with roller brakes front and rear. The rollerbrakes on my Trek are the
latest 70 series at the back and 75 series at the front. These latest
roller brakes are the direct equivalent of good disc brakes (Shimano
claims they are more controllable than disc brakes -- maybe, but I
like my brakes set up high and sudden). The only service requirement
is inject a very particular kind of grease through a hold normally
covered by a rubber plug; I do this once a year but have been told
that Dutch bike mechanics are told to do it only when the brakes start
fading or being noisy.

The manual gears have two types of control, of which I know only the
rotary; it can be operated with gloves (I wear fullfingered gloves
summer and winter).

It is a smart idea to get a bike with a full chain case. The chains on
both my bikes appear altogether unworn, and my bikes go out daily,
summer and winter, and it rains a lot here in Ireland (but no snow and
I rarely go into the rough, and I clean the chains when I go into the
ditch and get water in the chaincase). I use White Lightning wax lube,
but anything will do inside the chaincase.

Frankly, with a non-folder, I can see you having trouble on escalators
and suchlike, regardless of wheel size. Your bike will be the
equivalent of 57cm or 61cm European size. Mine are 57cm and they stand
up near the glassline of a Range Rover (a big SUV). They're not only
big, but fully equipped with tools and a rackbag with some weather
gear in it will weigh around the 25kg mark; my bikes, bare, are 21kg
for the Toulouse and at least 17kg for the much lighter Trek. It isn't
even worth buying such a bike without fenders and a rack.

The best tires in my experience, which is concentrated on tarmac roads
and the desire to have no flats, are Schwalbe Marathon Plus and
Bontrager Elite Hardcase. They're used at high pressure for low
rolling resistance and they're a pleasure on my roads. However,
they're almost slick, so I have no idea how they would go in your
winter, though I have never wished for more tread even on the worst
wet roads here.

HTH.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

Andre Jute wrote:
> It is a smart idea to get a bike with a full chain case. The chains on
> both my bikes appear altogether unworn, and my bikes go out daily,
> summer and winter, and it rains a lot here in Ireland (but no snow and
> I rarely go into the rough, and I clean the chains when I go into the
> ditch and get water in the chaincase). I use White Lightning wax lube,
> but anything will do inside the chaincase.

Here is the Upper (US) Midwest where both Jay and myself live, the roads
in winter are covered with a foul mixture of snow, road salt (a mixture
of calcium chloride and sodium chloride), sand, silt and rubber dust.
The temperatures are such that the snow/salt mixture is semi-solid, and
will coat everything. The salt is highly corrosive, and the fine sand
and silt highly abrasive.

> The best tires in my experience, which is concentrated on tarmac roads
> and the desire to have no flats, are Schwalbe Marathon Plus and
> Bontrager Elite Hardcase. They're used at high pressure for low
> rolling resistance and they're a pleasure on my roads. However,
> they're almost slick, so I have no idea how they would go in your
> winter, though I have never wished for more tread even on the worst
> wet roads here.

For riding in our (Upper Midwest) urban conditions in winter, studded
tires (or a trike) are a near necessity if one does not want to crash
frequently.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Jan 29, 2:40 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Andre Jute wrote:
> > It is a smart idea to get a bike with a full chain case. The chains on
> > both my bikes appear altogether unworn, and my bikes go out daily,
> > summer and winter, and it rains a lot here in Ireland (but no snow and
> > I rarely go into the rough, and I clean the chains when I go into the
> > ditch and get water in the chaincase). I use White Lightning wax lube,
> > but anything will do inside the chaincase.

> Here is the Upper (US) Midwest where both Jay and myself live, the roads
> in winter are covered with a foul mixture of snow, road salt (a mixture
> of calcium chloride and sodium chloride), sand, silt and rubber dust.
> The temperatures are such that the snow/salt mixture is semi-solid, and
> will coat everything. The salt is highly corrosive, and the fine sand
> and silt highly abrasive.
>
> > The best tires in my experience, which is concentrated on tarmac roads
> > and the desire to have no flats, are Schwalbe Marathon Plus and
> > Bontrager Elite Hardcase. They're used at high pressure for low
> > rolling resistance and they're a pleasure on my roads. However,
> > they're almost slick, so I have no idea how they would go in your
> > winter, though I have never wished for more tread even on the worst
> > wet roads here.

> For riding in our (Upper Midwest) urban conditions in winter, studded
> tires (or a trike) are a near necessity if one does not want to crash
> frequently.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> - A. Derleth

I imagine such nasty conditions makes hub gears, roller brakes and a
full chain case even more attractive, on the principle that anything
that can be enclosed should be enclosed. Even the White Lightning Wax,
if it doesn't freeze, would be a boon, because it works by enclosing
grains of extraneous material and dropping off the chain with the
dirt. I have no idea if it would work in such extreme temperatures; I
started shuddering the other day when Dusto merely mentioned 34
degrees Fahrenheit; when I wrote to him about a nastily cold day I
meant 6 degrees Centigrade which to you lot must sound subtropical.

When I was in Alaska doing research for my book "Iditarod", I ran a
half-Iditarod and went up into the Arctic Circle. I used an Epson PX8
laptop (called the Paris in the US) and the hinges froze solid after a
crash landing on an ice floe in a river. (I came out of survival
school and the chief government officer up there took me to the
airport and introduced me to my pilot, standing beside a single-
engined plane to fly over thousands of miles of frozen tundra, "This
is Crazy Horse. He's your pilot. This is your plane." I nearly came
home right then but CH turned out to be an exceptional pilot...) Up in
the Arctic Circle one of the pipeline builders said they had just the
grease for my laptop. I thought he was sending for a little pot of
something but soon a truck with a forty-four gallon drum on it
appeared, the drum was trolleyed inside and ceremoniously opened, and
then he stuck in his finger and applied a single smear. It was
graphite grease, used on the pipeline. I brought a little pot of it
away with me but it was gone by the time I started cycling; I imagine
it would make fine chain lube in low temperatures.

Andre Jute
I'm not chicken. I'm just not reckless.

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:42:59 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute wrote:

> I used an Epson PX8
> laptop (called the Paris in the US)

Liar.

On Jan 26, 8:25 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > loss.

> > > Well, you have learned not to say "thanks in advance" which will incurthe
> > > Wrath of Brandt.

> > > --
> > > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > > "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> > > - A. Derleth

> > Wow, you guys never take a day off, even on weekends! Usenet Administration
> > should rename RBT 'great.bike.advice.24-7'!

> > OK, now I am just being silly (again)...

> > I would indeed like to get away from an exposed derailleur system, because
> > of my all-weather riding conditions. I simply did not know enough to
> > (previously) spec an 'internally geared hub', but it sounds perfect for what
> > I need. My route is fairly flat, but wind is of course variable and can be
> > extreme, especially in fall and spring.

> > Joseph has suggested 'XXL size BMX frame with a monster long seatpost and
> > ape-hangers'. I don't know what an ape-hanger is, but it sounds kinky, so
> > there is some appeal. I like to get full extension when I pedal, so I raise
> > my seat to achieve ithttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/winter/snow1.jpg.I
> > see kids who, IMO have their seat way too low. I have no idea why they do
> > it, but I do know that my 54-year-old knees will not handle the strain. I
> > need to get the most from each pedal cycle (within reasonable
> > already-mentioned limits).

> > I don't know what 'decent quality BMX frame' means. Let's start at the top
> > $, and work down if necessary. Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing
> > about BMX frames.

> > (I do realize I might be cited by the Snip Police, but I truly think allthe
> > previous data is relevant.  So I have made no attempt to reduce the bit
> > traffic over the wire.)

> > (I did not know that TIA is a RBT no-no. I will try to be more creative,
> > since I try to avoid clichés, anyway.)

> > RBT is a certainly a priceless Internet resource!

> > Grateful J.

> Shimano Nexus (and Inter series) hubs come in several variants with 3,
> 7, and 8 speeds with or without a coaster brake, and also optional
> roller brake (drum brake I guess). Get a front hub with a dynamo to
> run your lights.
>
> Ape hangers are just really tall riser bars. Called ape hangers
> because guys on Harleys with them look like apes hanging from the
> overly high bars. But since the BMX frame has such a low front, it
> would be more or less in the right place.
>
> A BMX frame shouldn't cost more that $100. You might even start with a
> complete cheap BMX bike and swap out parts. Are you sure you even need
> gears?
>
> The super long seatpost might be a problem. Solution: Banana seat! ;-)
>
> It's been a long time since I needed to walk my bike around in crowds
> and on trains and stuff, but I always just yanked the stem and stood
> the bike up on it's back wheel. Does 20" wheels really make that big a

Hi there - I was looking for something similar and found this:
http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HL1.html - I am waiting
for one to turn up at my local bike shop so I can try it :)

On Feb 7, 2:35 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi there - I was looking for something similar and found this:http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HL1.html- I am waiting
> for one to turn up at my local bike shop so I can try it :)

I've had an irrational hatred of Cannondales since I rode a friend's
mid 80s boneshaker. But that little guy looks like serious fun, I mean
seriously stupid city fun! An Alfine hub with trigger shifter--nice.

Jay said:
<[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Jan 26, 12:15 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am going to spend my tax refund check on a second bike. My current bike
>> is
>> a folderhttp://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/arkel/seat-mast-left.jpg . I
>> don't need a folder anymore, but I do want to stick with 20" wheels,
>> because
>> they make my intermodal commute much easier, especially on the commuter
>> train, and going up/down narrow escalators and stairs.
>>
>> Regular RBTers know that I commute 20 miles daily, year round, in
>> Chicago. I
>> need a bike which will be strong enough to support the load (220 lbs body
>> weight + 30 lbs cargo). It also needs to be big enough for my 6'4"
>> height.
>> (snip)
>> Thanks to previous suggestions from RBT, I am not quite as clueless as
>> when
>> I bought my folder two years ago. But I still obviously need plenty of
>> help.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions - J.

> http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm has 10 dealers in the chicago
> area.
> Hybrid style frame, Internal geared hub, front hub generator and
> lights, rack.

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful, detailed advice. It looks
like this is going to be a $1000 expense, so I obviously want to get the
most appropriate bike possible.

I have reconsidered my 20" wheel requirement. I am now thinking about a
'commuter bike' with 26" wheels http://www.commuterbicycle.com/ . It won't
be as convenient in the train, and on escalators / stairs, but I think I can
adjust. I think a BMX frame, for my 6'4" height, as a commuter, is just too
much of a stretch.

My next bike will definitely have an internal geared hub, something like the
Shimano http://tinyurl.com/yt5943 . I am tired of fussing with an exposed
derailleur system during the winter. And you guys have convinced me that
fenders are needed for wet conditions.

I am also thinking about a shaft drive system
http://www.sussex.com.tw/se2.htm .

I have several weeks to finalize this decision. (I won't have the money
until then.)

Thanks for your time and expert advice. It has been very helpful.

J.

Now that you are moving away from 20 inch wheels, consider also a cyclocross frame with 700c wheels which will have slightly lower rolling resistance than the 26s or mountain bike frame if you go with 26 a more compact geometry for the intermode segments.

If you go with hub brakes, you will be able to change go back and forth between 26 and 700c on either frame.

I concuur with the internal gear hub preference. I've wanted a shaft drive bike, but that may be as much of the engineer in me wanting to try the technology rather than better than chain, perhaps using it in niche conditions rather than as a primary everyday commuter.
Shaft drive will be heavier and have higher efficiency losses. With a 20 mile commute, the maintenance savings might not be worth the extra pedalling effort. With an internal gear hub, your thrown chain issues will be diminshed relative a deraileur chain bike. You will have the previously mentioned less maintenance and less grease on pants with the shaft drive and I suspect more resistance to salt corrosion-but the salt resistance only effects the winter segment.

Anyone know if the shaft drive has a big advantage in salt over chains.

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi there - I was looking for something similar and found this:
> http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HL1.html - I am waiting
> for one to turn up at my local bike shop so I can try it :)

The Cannondale Hooligan certainly looks promising, if the handling is
decent. The main upgrades (that Cannondale does not offer as options)
would be a front dynamo hub and a chain case to make it an all weather
commuter.

landotter wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2:35 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi there - I was looking for something similar and found this:http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HL1.html- I am waiting
>> for one to turn up at my local bike shop so I can try it :)

> I've had an irrational hatred of Cannondales since I rode a friend's
> mid 80s boneshaker.

I think *irrational* is the key word.

> But that little guy looks like serious fun, I mean
> seriously stupid city fun! An Alfine hub with trigger shifter--nice.

Looks like the geometry of a folder in a bike that doesn't fold. I don't
get it -- a worst of both worlds design?

"Ride it like you stole it" Now there's words that every cyclist can
relate to -- negatively.

From the copy:
"The Hooligan is a statement"

Please let's talk about bicycles, not "statements".