I'm new to road cycling but I need a bike

Newguysteve

Jan 11, 2010
Hi, Last summer I really got into biking. I would ride about 10 miles a day but the thing is I was using a mountian bike on the road. I really want to work my way into long distance riding so what type of bike would be best for me? I was looking at road bikes but I really don't like the handle bars. I was thinking I could get a hybrid bike. Are those good for long distance riding?

A traditional hybrid won't be very good for longer distances as they normally have front suspensions which will sap away a lot of the bikes efficiency. You may want to look into a flat bar road bike or a fitness style of bike (Trek FX series comes to mind). A flat bar road bike will be positioned more or less like a normal road bike but without the drop bar on it. A fitness bike will offer a slightly more upright riding position (although not as upright as a hybrid) and will normally have a wider tire on it (700x35 vs 700x23/25). The wider tire may help you feel more comfortable since you are coming from a mountain bike.

If you progress you will eventually want a traditional road bike, at least that is my guess.
Best thing to do is get to a bike shop and test ride different types of frames.
You will get a good idea of not only what type but what size you need.

ToffoIsMe said:
You may want to look into a flat bar road bike or a fitness style of bike (Trek FX series comes to mind).
+1 on the Trek FXs. Other companies have similar bikes, but Trek's is my favorite.

Newguysteve said:
Hi, Last summer I really got into biking. I would ride about 10 miles a day but the thing is I was using a mountian bike on the road. I really want to work my way into long distance riding so what type of bike would be best for me? I was looking at road bikes but I really don't like the handle bars. I was thinking I could get a hybrid bike. Are those good for long distance riding?
Since the mid-80s, road brake levers have been designed to be used when the rider's hands are on the hoods ...

Some people never use the drops on their road bars ...

So, buy the ROAD bike that suits your budget & aesthetic sensibilities.

BTW. If you do end up choosing a Hybrid, you should know that some Hybrids are available with a 'rigid' fork and you should choose one of THOSE Hybrids which has a 'rigid' fork because the suspension on a Hybrid fork is marginal & adds unnecessary weight AND expense.

Newguysteve said:

While a road bike's drop bar may not be the ultimate in sexy, is a fitness bike's straight bar or mountain bike's riser bar any sexier?? If you're serious about increasing your distance, a drop bar's multiple hand positions overweigh any drop in sexyness. Many here feel it adds a great deal in fact!! :D:eek: