In the News: Jeanson clears Olympic hurdle

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
-------------------------------
Cyclist avoids costly suspension

Fine levied for doping violation

RANDY STARKMAN
SPORTS REPORTER

Genevieve Jeanson can compete at the Athens Olympics after escaping suspension
yesterday for missing a drug test, but not everyone on the Canadian cycling scene
will applaud the news.

The 22-year-old from Lachine, Que., who faced a maximum six-month suspension for
missing a doping test at a race in Belgium on April 21, received a warning and a
fine of 500 Swiss francs ($548 Cdn.) yesterday for what was recorded as a doping
violation by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

The case was handled by USADA because Jeanson is racing under a USA Cycling licence
after the Quebec Cycling Federation refused to grant her one. The Quebec group
wanted more medical information after she was pulled from the road race at last
year's world championships in Hamilton when her hematocrit level (ratio of red blood
cells to total volume of blood) tested too high.

Jeanson's principal residence is in the U.S.
---------------------------------

Read the rest at http://tinyurl.com/24zmd

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ([email protected]) is fake. Email sent to it will
only get caught in my spam tarpit.

> -------------------------------
> Cyclist avoids costly suspension
>
> Fine levied for doping violation
>
> RANDY STARKMAN
> SPORTS REPORTER
>
> Genevieve Jeanson can compete at the Athens Olympics after escaping

suspension
> yesterday for missing a drug test, but not everyone on the Canadian

cycling scene
> will applaud the news.

It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/worldcup04/montreal04/?id=results

--
tanx,
Howard

"Copper will never be gold"
Shellac

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:

> It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started. Allegedly.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

There have been lots of people that have come up positive
more than once. Merckx comes to mind

> > It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

> How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started. Allegedly.

Before the drug test hammer fell last year, she had this really rosy
complexion. Now look at her, her skin has this ghostly white look to it.
Lack of red blood cells?

On 06/16/2004 04:14 AM, in article
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

>> How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started. Allegedly.
>>

> Before the drug test hammer fell last year, she had this really rosy
> complexion. Now look at her, her skin has this ghostly white look to it.
>
> Lack of red blood cells?

Possible, but also possible it's contributible to a lack of outdoor
racing/training ... I can how being dogged by doping allegations and the
threat of being banned could put a crimp in one's motiviation ...

If it is due to lower Hct levels, it could also be contributed to ceasing
using an altitude tent, which she claims she was using for the past several
years (until her Hct tested high) ...

Using altitude tents to raise haematocrit levels is still legal as long as
you don't test over 47% (women) or 50% (men) without a medical certificate
indicating a naturally high level anyway.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Callistus Valer wrote:
> > > It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

> > How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started. Allegedly.
> >

> Before the drug test hammer fell last year, she had this really rosy
> complexion. Now look at her, her skin has this ghostly white look to
> it. Lack of red blood cells?

Dumbass: http://www.world-cup-cycling.org/world-cup/images/jeanson-
victoire-big.jpg

Still rosy-cheeked.

--

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Still rosy-cheeked.

> Well, there's the proof. She's doping again.
>
> Bob "Conclusive" Schwartz
> [email protected]

This statement from Curt Harnett cracks me up.
"It would have been a shame to have left her at home because of a rules
violation," Harnett said.

Dave

In article <[email protected]>,
Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:15:52 GMT, pedalchick
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>http://www.world-cup-cycling.org/world-cup/images/jeanson-
> >>victoire-big.jpg

> > Are you sure that isn't Mark Walters?

> We know not to read too much in to facial expressions as an indicator of
> form anyway.

Indeed.
<http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/jun04/tourdesuisse04/?id=stage2/reut
ers2>

--

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> On 06/16/2004 04:14 AM, in article

> If it is due to lower Hct levels, it could also be contributed to ceasing
> using an altitude tent, which she claims she was using for the past several
> years (until her Hct tested high) ...

Does anyone have a pointer to studies supporting that claim? When the
Finnish x-country skier Kaisa Varis failed the haemoglobin test she
claimed to have raised it too high by using an altitude tent. That
turned out to be a lie when she got caught using epo.

I remember searching for studies proving that altitude tents or altitude
training would increase haematocrit/haemoglobin and found conflicting
results. For instance, the AIS (Australian Instute of Sports) womens
cycling team had tested high-altitude training, and in the study I read
about it, they couldn't verify that it raised haematocrit. Can't
remember the study, though.

Jan Lindström