In the News: Jeanson clears Olympic hurdle

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
-------------------------------
Cyclist avoids costly suspension

Fine levied for doping violation

RANDY STARKMAN SPORTS REPORTER

Genevieve Jeanson can compete at the Athens Olympics
after escaping suspension yesterday for missing a drug
test, but not everyone on the Canadian cycling scene will
applaud the news.

The 22-year-old from Lachine, Que., who faced a maximum
six-month suspension for missing a doping test at a race
in Belgium on April 21, received a warning and a fine of
500 Swiss francs ($548 Cdn.) yesterday for what was
recorded as a doping violation by the United States Anti-
Doping Agency (USADA).

The case was handled by USADA because Jeanson is racing
under a USA Cycling licence after the Quebec Cycling
Federation refused to grant her one. The Quebec group wanted
more medical information after she was pulled from the road
race at last year's world championships in Hamilton when her
hematocrit level (ratio of red blood cells to total volume
of blood) tested too high.

Jeanson's principal residence is in the U.S.
---------------------------------

Read the rest at http://tinyurl.com/24zmd

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ([email protected])
is fake. Email sent to it will only get caught in my

> -------------------------------
> Cyclist avoids costly suspension
>
> Fine levied for doping violation
>
> RANDY STARKMAN SPORTS REPORTER
>
> Genevieve Jeanson can compete at the Athens Olympics after
> escaping
suspension
> yesterday for missing a drug test, but not everyone on the
> Canadian
cycling scene
> will applaud the news.

It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > -------------------------------
> > Cyclist avoids costly suspension
> >
> > Fine levied for doping violation
> >
> > RANDY STARKMAN SPORTS REPORTER
> >
> > Genevieve Jeanson can compete at the Athens Olympics
> > after escaping
> suspension
> > yesterday for missing a drug test, but not everyone on
> > the Canadian
> cycling scene
> > will applaud the news.
>

> It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/worldcup04/montreal04/-
?id=results

--
tanx, Howard

"Copper will never be gold" Shellac

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:

> It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a ghost.

How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started.
Allegedly.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

There have been lots of people that have come up positive
more than once. Merckx comes to mind

> > It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a
> > ghost.
>
> How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started.
> Allegedly.

Before the drug test hammer fell last year, she had this
really rosy complexion. Now look at her, her skin has
this ghostly white look to it. Lack of red blood cells?

On 06/16/2004 04:14 AM, in article
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a
>>> ghost.
>>
>> How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever
>> started. Allegedly.
>>

> Before the drug test hammer fell last year, she had this
> really rosy
> complexion. Now look at her, her skin has this ghostly
> white look to it.
>
> Lack of red blood cells?

Possible, but also possible it's contributible to a lack of
outdoor racing/training ... I can how being dogged by doping
allegations and the threat of being banned could put a crimp
in one's motiviation ...

If it is due to lower Hct levels, it could also be
contributed to ceasing using an altitude tent, which she
claims she was using for the past several years (until her
Hct tested high) ...

Using altitude tents to raise haematocrit levels is still
legal as long as you don't test over 47% (women) or 50%
(men) without a medical certificate indicating a naturally
high level anyway.

--
Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

Originally posted by Callistus Valer
> > It doesn't matter. Without her EPO she looks like a
> > ghost.
>
> How do you know she's stopped. Or if she had ever started.
> Allegedly.

Before the drug test hammer fell last year, she had this
really rosy complexion. Now look at her, her skin has
this ghostly white look to it. Lack of red blood cells?

Dumbass:
http://www.world-cup-cycling.org/world-cup/images/jeanson-victoire-big.jpg

Still rosy-cheeked.

In article <[email protected]>,
Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:15:52 GMT, pedalchick <usenet-
> > [email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>http://www.world-cup-cycling.org/world-
> >>cup/images/jeanson- victoire-big.jpg
> >

> > Are you sure that isn't Mark Walters?
>
> We know not to read too much in to facial expressions as
> an indicator of form anyway.

Indeed. <http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/jun04/to-
urdesuisse04/?id=stage2/reut ers2>

--

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> On 06/16/2004 04:14 AM, in article

> If it is due to lower Hct levels, it could also be
> contributed to ceasing using an altitude tent, which she
> claims she was using for the past several years (until her
> Hct tested high) ...

Does anyone have a pointer to studies supporting that claim?
When the Finnish x-country skier Kaisa Varis failed the
haemoglobin test she claimed to have raised it too high by
using an altitude tent. That turned out to be a lie when she
got caught using epo.

I remember searching for studies proving that altitude tents
or altitude training would increase haematocrit/haemoglobin
and found conflicting results. For instance, the AIS
(Australian Instute of Sports) womens cycling team had
tested high-altitude training, and in the study I read about
it, they couldn't verify that it raised haematocrit. Can't
remember the study, though.

Jan Lindström