Inconsistent performance?

gndprx

Mar 22, 2010
Last weekend I put in right at 92 miles between Sat and Sun and only felt rough the last 8-10 miles on Sunday.

Today I went out on the normal shop ride and got dropped around 24 miles into the same ride and never did catch back up. Ended up spinning home in low gear and just couldn't get my cadence back up. My cardio was fine, but my legs said no way.

I can understand having good and bad days, but that seems a severe swing in performance.

What are some common things to watch for or log to try and find a contributor to a drop like this as this is not the first time it's happened this season.

gndprx said:
Last weekend I put in right at 92 miles between Sat and Sun and only felt rough the last 8-10 miles on Sunday.

Today I went out on the normal shop ride and got dropped around 24 miles into the same ride and never did catch back up. Ended up spinning home in low gear and just couldn't get my cadence back up. My cardio was fine, but my legs said no way.

I can understand having good and bad days, but that seems a severe swing in performance.

What are some common things to watch for or log to try and find a contributor to a drop like this as this is not the first time it's happened this season.

Long distance riding usually requires very different energy systems than you standard club ride. Distance riding is usually relatively slow and at a, steady, base miles kind of pace.

Club rides are usually shorter/faster and involve a lot of accelerations. Repative accelerations have the tendency to take their toll fast. Being able to withstand them is something you can train for, but not by going out and riding 92 steady paced miles.

. . .Also, there are club ride strategies/techniques that you can employ to lessen the effects of accelerations. Basically, stay as close to the front of the group as possible. If you get all the way to the front because of a rotation, take only a short pull and when you drift back try to get in early rather than going all the way to the back (or else move up at a traffic light).

Gndprx, when you have a ride that's below your normal performance level, then yes, I think it's worthwhile to look back over the previous 24 to 48 hours to see if there was a difference in your normal habits.

How much sleep you get, what you eat, your physical activities, etc in the 24 to 48 hours prior to a ride do have an effect your performance.

Sometimes you may just have a bad day, but a lot of times if you look it over closely you may find a contributor such as improper rest or nutrition.

Also, when taking long rides, eat during those rides, don't just drink water.......because the very next day, well you just found out.
And perhaps you do need to do more running than biking at the moment, to build up those legs.

Good information all around.

I've ridden with this group a number of times and include that ride as the beginning of the longer ride last week. This was the first time I'd been dropped THAT early in the ride and it concerned me.

I'll have to start keeping a log of food, sleep, work, etc...leading up to the ride as I need to be sure something like this doesn't happen on the MS150 ride in September.

gndprx said:

You had a bad day. It happens. Don't over-think it, there are too many variables at play here.

Fuel, plain and simple. Insufficient funds in the reserve. More carbohydrates the evening before. Fruit is good before the ride. Lots of cardio vascular exercise needs carbohydrates in order for the body to run full force and effectively. Some people skimp too much and wonder why. Well, its as simple as that.

The condition of a person depends on so many factors and would you believe genetic and metabolism are part of it? Mine is a family of horse trainers and the thing I can say about training is the variable factors that should be taken into consideration. It's not only food and the physical training but also the rest and some hidden factors like being happy. Oh well...

If you have inconsistent performance it obviously means that your energy and/or concentration levels are inconsistent on a day-to-day basis. You need to figure out which of two is effecting you the most, and figure out how to deal with it. If your energy levels are low on certain days, you need to check out what you're eating and if you're getting enough rest.

Well, don't get disappointed. The performance can change and fluctuate. You don't need to worry about it. It's normal. i also used to over-think like you but later, I found out that instead of just thinking about it, I should just concentrate on my future.