Does your performance in the winter time worsen?

JoelTGM

Oct 21, 2010
In the summer time my average speed was up around 30 km/h, but since then it's been slowing, and yesterday I somehow did 26.5 km/h. It gets windier in the winter time here so maybe that's it, but I just feel like I have less energy. Is this a normal thing to happen around winter time or am I doing something wrong.

Yes, it is totally normal for myriad reasons. First of all, it is difficult (read: impossible) to maintain your peak fitness year round. So, if you were averaging 30km/hr at your best, then that will decrease in the winter when training volume is down. (and if training volume isn't down, then you are probably trying to do too much and just getting tired). Also, if it is cold out, it is harder to breathe, and, like you said, wind is also a big factor in the winter. Another factor, albeit small, is that in the winter your are wearing tons of clothing, adding weight and probably drag. So, take it easy(ish) in the winter, use it as a time to have some fun, recover from the season, regroup mentally, and don't worry so much about numbers. Start training again as Spring approaches and you'll see fast gains that should get you to last season's peak performance (or better) before you know it.

ah cool. thanks for that. yeah it's cold, I can see my breath, and it's always wet out so I'm in rain gear, so maybe all that is causing me to slow down. The winter is a bummer but at least there is no snow yet!

Ditto on time of the year to back off anyway. Peak performance cannot be maintained indefinitely without fatigue setting in and power, and therefore speed, dropping. If your strength is held constant, you are still fighting more dense air and thereby greater resistance. Some may argue the affect of the denser, cold air, but it does at least make sense as a theory and is well accepted in aeronautics. Also, your body is expending energy to warm itself that it does not have to in warmer air. Not to mention the whole psychological aspect. I know that I am not very motivated to do lung busting power intervals in near freezing temps. Heck, I'd be coughing for 3 days afterward.

For me, this is the time of the year that I put formal training aside and just ride however I feel like. I have no looming goals. No impending races, training camp or 24 hour event. Not to say that I will never ride hard in the winter, just that I am not obligated to do it. I expect avg speed to be below what i do when in training and in fact plan on it. I enjoy it. It helps me to not burn out. It allows my body to recover. I'll be back to intervals and being fast again by March, so I try to appreciate this time and not even worry about speed, power, HR or any of that stuff. I'll track ride time, but that's about it.