Indoor/Outdoor difference in power output

antsfeld

Nov 22, 2007
Hi to all members :)
I will very appreciate if someone could explain to me some interesting phenomena:
Recently I did two similar trainings with my PowerTap - one day outdoor, several days after on trainer (Taxs-Cosmos) indoor.
For some reason I felt that on trainer it is much harder to hold the same wattage as outdoor. Although I felt I push the same, my average power output on trainer was ~10% lower then outdoor. (250 vs 280)

I would like to mention that I felt pretty fresh and rested for both workouts. So it is not fatigue issue. Also I double checked the calibraion either.
Does some one have physical/physiological or may be psichological explanation to this ?
Thaks a lot

antsfeld said:
Hi to all members :)
I will very appreciate if someone could explain to me some interesting phenomena:
Recently I did two similar trainings with my PowerTap - one day outdoor, several days after on trainer (Taxs-Cosmos) indoor.
For some reason I felt that on trainer it is much harder to hold the same wattage as outdoor. Although I felt I push the same, my average power output on trainer was ~10% lower then outdoor. (250 vs 280)

I would like to mention that I felt pretty fresh and rested for both workouts. So it is not fatigue issue. Also I double checked the calibraion either.
Does some one have physical/physiological or may be psichological explanation to this ?
Thaks a lot
hope this helps
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t300021.html

Not having a PT and only using the KK speed / power thingy, I hope this is true for everyone because it means my meager threshold power is just that little bit higher than I think it is.

Yojimbo_ said:
Not having a PT and only using the KK speed / power thingy, I hope this is true for everyone because it means my meager threshold power is just that little bit higher than I think it is.
Thanks for your reply,
But I couldn't fully understand what you mean :)
What is KK ? :)

I would imagine - and this is purely an observed opinion - that because the flywheel has less inertia and slows down more readily, the propensity for power to drop is harder to make up for by keeping the power on. If you ease for even a quarter pedal turn on the road it's easier to keep the power on, whereas if you ease slightly on a turbo, it's harder to regain the momentum so you need more power.

Hence, it's harder. Just like down hill is fast and fun, uphill is slow and fun, indoor trainers are slow and hard. Just console yourself that good numbers on a turbo become even better on the road!