Indy today

wafflycat

Guest
One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least it's
there.

Cheers, helen s

--

~~

SUPPORT THE CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/

~~
to send reply email - you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~

Response to wafflycat:
> One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least it's
> there.

Good one, Helen, and you don't even have to give them your money to read
it:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/letters/article1369581.ece

I'm half-hoping somebody will take him up personally on the "No bike can
beat a car, even in heavy traffic" claim, by offering him a race during
rush hour.

--
Mark, UK
"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."

> http://comment.independent.co.uk/letters/article1369581.ece

Any chance of printing it here (I get usenet but not web)?

I did fire off an email to them on Tuesday about this, suggesting I was
disappointed with the standards of journalism & research in an
otherwise quality, green biased paper (well, they sometimes headline
environmental issues).

Ta.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com>typed

> One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least it's
> there.

> Cheers, helen s

Congratulations, Mrs S!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least
> it's there.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Well done. Nice letter.

I also liked Donald Smith's letter -- short & to the point.

Rob Morley wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>
>Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least
>> > it's there.
>> >
>> > Cheers, helen s

>> Well done. Nice letter.
>>
>> I also liked Donald Smith's letter -- short & to the point.
>>

>But not the one about licensing and indicators :)

Yes, two good letters sandwiching one from the wooly-headed brigade.
Sitll, she's a dog lover so what can we expect? :)

In article <[email protected]>
Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>
> >Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Well done. Nice letter.
> >>
> >> I also liked Donald Smith's letter -- short & to the point.
> >>

> >But not the one about licensing and indicators :)

> Yes, two good letters sandwiching one from the wooly-headed brigade.
> Sitll, she's a dog lover so what can we expect? :)

Maybe we should campaign for the return of dog licensing in order to
fund dog wardens, who could patrol on bicycles. Third party insurance
should be made compulsory for dogs in public places - and how about
compulsory training? Dog walkers who insist on using those extending
leads should be made to wear flashing safety beacons on their heads to
alert others ...

Phil Cook wrote:
> Sitll, she's a dog lover so what can we expect? :)

We can probably expect her to be letting her dog run free, knocking us
off our bikes and/or biting our ankles. And then she will probably get
upset when we curse her wretched animal.

Never mind a law to license and insure cyclists, how about a law to
force dog owners to keep their pesky pets on a lead and muzzled at all
times...

d.

Simon Mason wrote:
> Some of us are still plugging away at local level ;-)
>
> http://qurl.net/Mu

Nicely put. I don't understand the comment, though. Is he suggesting
that the highway code exempts drivers from behaving responsibly towards
cyclists? Sounds about right, if the revisions are incorporated.

> http://qurl.net/Mv

The Hull & East Riding Mail's Japanese edition?

d.

Simon Mason wrote:

> > One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least
> > it's there.

> Some of us are still plugging away at local level ;-)

I've received a request for a 30 minute local radio slot for next week :)

John B

davek <[email protected]>
> Never mind a law to license and insure cyclists, how about a law to
> force dog owners to keep their pesky pets on a lead and muzzled at all
> times...

If a loose dog runs into my pedals and injures itself (the pedals have
corner prongs to help keep my shaky feet in position), am I liable?

I've hit a dog years ago, but its owner was angry with it, not me.
Seems like it might be different these days.
--
MJR/slef

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:17:25 +0100, Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to wafflycat:
>> One made it in print in the letters' page today. Edited - but at least it's
>> there.

> Good one, Helen, and you don't even have to give them your money to read
> it:
>
> http://comment.independent.co.uk/letters/article1369581.ece

Good one, and not the only one. Hats off to Helen and Donald Smith (if he's
here).

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: E3E8E974 :: Jabber: [email protected]

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Phil Cook wrote:
> Never mind a law to license and insure cyclists, how about a law to
> force dog owners to keep their pesky pets on a lead and muzzled at all
> times...

Make sure it is a short lead!

Our dog lovers use these retractable things which let the dog roam in a five
metre circle around the obstacle ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H dog walker.

Nice letter Helen.

But this, from the letter in the middle.....

"I think that a lack of any mandatory training has given many cyclists the impression that they are not an integral part of the traffic problem as a whole"

How odd.

I was under the impression that we are not an integral part of the traffic problem as a whole.

:)

Wheelist.

wheelist wrote:

> I was under the impression that we are not an integral part of the
> traffic problem as a whole.

An integral part of the traffic solution?
--
Chris

wheelist wrote on 08/09/2006 14:51 +0100:
> Nice letter Helen.
>
> But this, from the letter in the middle.....
>
> "I think that a lack of any mandatory training has given many cyclists
> the impression that they are not an integral part of the traffic
> problem as a whole"
>
> How odd.
>
> I was under the impression that we are not an integral part of the
> traffic problem as a whole.

True, in modern speak it should be "an integral part of the traffic
opportunity" ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

In article <[email protected]>, wafflycat
<?@?.com.invalid> writes

>Here is what they published of mine. It's edited from what I sent to them.

So how many f words did they take out, H?

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 14:35:22 +0100, congokid <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, wafflycat
><?@?.com.invalid> writes
>
>>Here is what they published of mine. It's edited from what I sent to them.

>So how many f words did they take out, H?

I'm not surprized they didn't print mine.

Mark