installing Chris King headset

Lee

Guest
A quick question...

I'm installing a Chris King threadless headset on a new frame and when everything is together,
there's a *tiny* gap between the upper fixed cup and the cover that slides down over the fork. If I
look carefully I can see it.

I would think that there should be no gap between the two parts.

I did have to file down the fork after fitting the bars/spacers/etc. to get enough gap between the
top of the fork and the stem. Perhaps I need to take another 1/64th of an inch off...

Comments?

Lee

Originally posted by Lee
A quick question...

I'm installing a Chris King threadless headset on a new frame and when everything is together,
there's a *tiny* gap between the upper fixed cup and the cover that slides down over the fork. If I
look carefully I can see it.

I would think that there should be no gap between the two parts.

I did have to file down the fork after fitting the bars/spacers/etc. to get enough gap between the
top of the fork and the stem. Perhaps I need to take another 1/64th of an inch off...

Comments?

Lee

If I understand you correctly, then you need to decide on additional spacing below the stem or shortening the fork column.
See URL:
http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lee wrote:
> > A quick question... I'm installing a Chris King threadless headset on a new frame and when
> > everything is together, there's a *tiny* gap between the upper fixed cup and the cover that
> > slides down over the fork. If I look carefully
> > can see it. I would think that there should be no gap between the two parts. I did have to
> > file down the fork after fitting the bars/spacers/etc.
> > get enough gap between the top of the fork and the stem. Perhaps I
need
> > to take another 1/64th of an inch off... Comments? Lee
>
> If I understand you correctly, then you need to decide on additional spacing below the stem or
> shortening the fork column. See URL: http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html

Thanks, I hadn't seen this page before. I need to take another 1-2mm off the steerer tube. That
should allow me to snug the whole assembly (stem, spacers, etc) down onto the bearing cap so that it
sits tight against the upper bearing race.

Lee