Ironman and Phil Liggett

roadhouse

Aug 2, 2009
together at last. unless Phil has been a commentator for triathlons before now, i'd say he's currently making the transition with Lance, he's the Universal Sports commentator for Ironman St. George and doing a fine, fine,natural job of covering this race which, btw, has some seriously fast cycling involved, great looking road course from what I can tell.

Awesome.

I suspect Liggett & Sherwen are contracturally obliged to 'big up' Lance.

Ligget is to Armstrong what bread is to butter and i for one can't wait for these Ironman competitions with Lance to start, being announced by Liggett. in one triathlon, without Lance obviously, he has sparked , even renewed, my interest in watching them, doing a much better job than the Madrid/Seoul, whatever series that was commentators and any and all of the rest of them on Universal combined , outside of the main Kona announcer on Universal that is.

Liggett is just great for sports period.

roadhouse said:
together at last. unless Phil has been a commentator for triathlons before now, i'd say he's currently making the transition with Lance, he's the Universal Sports commentator for Ironman St. George and doing a fine, fine,natural job of covering this race which, btw, has some seriously fast cycling involved, great looking road course from what I can tell.

Awesome.

I was there. All three legs were beasts. The water was super cold. The bike course was hilly and windy. There was barely any flat on the run. Saving grace is that is was evidently a lot cooler than normal. If it had been 90 degrees then the course would have been a killer.

Bro Deal said:
I was there. All three legs were beasts. The water was super cold. The bike course was hilly and windy. There was barely any flat on the run. Saving grace is that is was evidently a lot cooler than normal. If it had been 90 degrees then the course would have been a killer.

you competed? do tell as in race report style, please. how long did it take you, each leg? overall? splits? t1 and t2?

i think the water was 60 and the air in the morning was 42f if i remember correctly.

roadhouse said:

Awesome.

I remember Ligget commentating on the world triathlon champs when they were in England back in the early to mid 90's, but Phil is a versatile chappie and has commentated on other sports during his decades on the airwaves.

Phil L is my favourite commentator along with Formula 1's legendary Murray Walker! Maybe part of it is because it was his voice that i know since I started following and cycling in the 80's.

Looking forward to his Ironman commentary