General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Is GLYCOGEN'S importance overrated?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 16 posts · 552 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 January 2006
Last activity
17 January 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
552
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have always heard for years that for muscles to be strengthened they
    need GLYCOGEN and for long lasting fuel they need GLYCOGEN etc....
    etc....

    Well... I have been on a low-carbohydrate diet and in a mild level of
    ketosis and my stamina and endurance are much better now than they used
    to be.

    Now granted... some of the reason I probably can walk much better than
    before is the weight-loss I have experienced but I don't notice any
    real difference in how far or fast I can walk whether or not I am
    low-carbing or just eating regularly. Now... I am not running
    marathons or anything but I do try and walk several miles a day.

    Even on days when I eat nothing for breakfast I can still walk just as
    far.

    If there is no GLYCOGEN present can't the body make the necessary fuel
    it needs by breaking down its fat stores? So... this begs the
    question.... To exercise successfully do we really need to eat all
    those carbs to insure all that GLYCOGEN or can the body adapt without
    it?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID

  2. <[email hidden]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have always heard for years that for muscles to be strengthened they
    need GLYCOGEN and for long lasting fuel they need GLYCOGEN etc....
    etc....

    Well... I have been on a low-carbohydrate diet and in a mild level of
    ketosis and my stamina and endurance are much better now than they used
    to be.

    Now granted... some of the reason I probably can walk much better than
    before is the weight-loss I have experienced but I don't notice any
    real difference in how far or fast I can walk whether or not I am
    low-carbing or just eating regularly. Now... I am not running
    marathons or anything but I do try and walk several miles a day.

    Even on days when I eat nothing for breakfast I can still walk just as
    far.

    If there is no GLYCOGEN present can't the body make the necessary fuel
    it needs by breaking down its fat stores? So... this begs the
    question.... To exercise successfully do we really need to eat all
    those carbs to insure all that GLYCOGEN or can the body adapt without
    it?

    Thanks in advance

    Since muscle glycogen is mostly needed in training with higher intensity
    than walking you won't see much of a difference. Try sprinting or actually
    running and you _will_ see a difference.

    As long as the body can easily use fat stores to fuel the muscles with ATP
    it will do so.. fat is more efficient in terms of energy per gram.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If there is no GLYCOGEN present can't the body make the necessary fuel
    it needs by breaking down its fat stores?

    Even low carb, while vague as what "low" means, you will never be out of
    glycogen. If you were to run out of glycogen you would know it. In
    running and other endurance sports it's called bonking and very painful.
    Stand at mile 24 of marathon and you see what happens when you run out
    of glycogen - they are walking.

    So... this begs the

    Quoted message said:

    question.... To exercise successfully do we really need to eat all
    those carbs to insure all that GLYCOGEN or can the body adapt without
    it?

    For your walking activity you are replacing all the glycogen you need.
    As MMu pointed out you would need to add a longer and more rigorous
    activity. For those of us doing longer rigorous exercise we can eat all
    the healthy carbs we want and stay thin without ketosis breath. 😉

    -DF

  4. Thanks.... Oh... I know about the KETOSIS BREATH believe me. I used
    to weigh over 400 pounds but now am down to about 250 and dropping so
    running is not an option right now.

    As far as never running out of GLYCOGEN. I have read numerous times
    that when you eat no carbs your body will use up all of it's glycogen
    stores within 48 hours.... Now... whether or not that's true or not?
    I have no idea.

    Thanks guys

    David

  5. My guess is this:

    The amounts of carbs necessary to provide for adequate glycogen has
    been way overstated.

    and

    The ability of the body to get glycogen from non-carb foods has been
    way understated.

    and

    It is a very, very small percentage of people engage in sports or
    physical events that involve the need for world class athletic
    endurance and performance and need to pay attention to what they
    consume before, during and after their extreme physical activities.

    We simply do not need to "carb up" for regular every day exercise,
    sports and activities.

    Humans aren't designed to run 26 miles straight. So I can see where you
    may need to do something out of the ordinary when attempting a physical
    feat that is that out of the ordinary. You may need to consume
    something extra before, during or after the 26 mile run. Whether the
    better thing to do is drinking sugary drinks or eating meat, I don't
    know. And frankly, I don't care. I don't plan on running 26 miles any
    time soon. And I would guess 99% of people don't plan on running 26
    miles any time soon.

    For us normal folk, you know the majority, who just want to have the
    energy to get thru the day and partake in reasonable levels of physical
    activity on a regular basis, our bodies are able to take care of our
    glycogen needs on a relatively low carb diet without difficulty. I've
    yet to bonk out due to lack of carbs in my low-carb diet and I doubt
    that any typical person ever will.

    TC

    Quoted message said:

    I have always heard for years that for muscles to be strengthened they
    need GLYCOGEN and for long lasting fuel they need GLYCOGEN etc....
    etc....

    Well... I have been on a low-carbohydrate diet and in a mild level of
    ketosis and my stamina and endurance are much better now than they used
    to be.

    Now granted... some of the reason I probably can walk much better than
    before is the weight-loss I have experienced but I don't notice any
    real difference in how far or fast I can walk whether or not I am
    low-carbing or just eating regularly. Now... I am not running
    marathons or anything but I do try and walk several miles a day.

    Even on days when I eat nothing for breakfast I can still walk just as
    far.

    If there is no GLYCOGEN present can't the body make the necessary fuel
    it needs by breaking down its fat stores? So... this begs the
    question.... To exercise successfully do we really need to eat all
    those carbs to insure all that GLYCOGEN or can the body adapt without
    it?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID

  6. For low intensity exercise muscle glycogen isn't that important, apparently
    your muscles can run on ketones or whatever (someone might want to correct
    me). For high intensity exercise, *most* people notice a fairly large
    difference. Low intensity exercise might be walking, cycling, or running on
    flat surfaces ect. whereas high intensity exercise might be hiking, weight
    lifting, rowing, what have you.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have always heard for years that for muscles to be strengthened they
    need GLYCOGEN and for long lasting fuel they need GLYCOGEN etc....
    etc....

    Well... I have been on a low-carbohydrate diet and in a mild level of
    ketosis and my stamina and endurance are much better now than they used
    to be.

    Now granted... some of the reason I probably can walk much better than
    before is the weight-loss I have experienced but I don't notice any
    real difference in how far or fast I can walk whether or not I am
    low-carbing or just eating regularly. Now... I am not running
    marathons or anything but I do try and walk several miles a day.

    Even on days when I eat nothing for breakfast I can still walk just as
    far.

    If there is no GLYCOGEN present can't the body make the necessary fuel
    it needs by breaking down its fat stores? So... this begs the
    question.... To exercise successfully do we really need to eat all
    those carbs to insure all that GLYCOGEN or can the body adapt without
    it?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID

  7. "TC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My guess is this:

    The amounts of carbs necessary to provide for adequate glycogen has
    been way overstated.

    and

    The ability of the body to get glycogen from non-carb foods has been
    way understated.

    and

    It is a very, very small percentage of people engage in sports or
    physical events that involve the need for world class athletic
    endurance and performance and need to pay attention to what they
    consume before, during and after their extreme physical activities.

    We simply do not need to "carb up" for regular every day exercise,
    sports and activities.

    Humans aren't designed to run 26 miles straight. So I can see where you
    may need to do something out of the ordinary when attempting a physical
    feat that is that out of the ordinary. You may need to consume
    something extra before, during or after the 26 mile run. Whether the
    better thing to do is drinking sugary drinks or eating meat, I don't
    know. And frankly, I don't care. I don't plan on running 26 miles any
    time soon. And I would guess 99% of people don't plan on running 26
    miles any time soon.

    Nor is that recommended, at least not every day. Excessive cardio can burn
    muscle just like excessive dieting and excessive anaerobic exercise (adding
    carbs might help prevent that but it's still a risk). Not only that but it
    can lead to injuries, soreness, and burn-out.

    Quoted message said:

    For us normal folk, you know the majority, who just want to have the
    energy to get thru the day and partake in reasonable levels of physical
    activity on a regular basis, our bodies are able to take care of our
    glycogen needs on a relatively low carb diet without difficulty. I've
    yet to bonk out due to lack of carbs in my low-carb diet and I doubt
    that any typical person ever will.

    TC

    Quoted message said:

    I have always heard for years that for muscles to be strengthened they
    need GLYCOGEN and for long lasting fuel they need GLYCOGEN etc....
    etc....

    Well... I have been on a low-carbohydrate diet and in a mild level of
    ketosis and my stamina and endurance are much better now than they used
    to be.

    Now granted... some of the reason I probably can walk much better than
    before is the weight-loss I have experienced but I don't notice any
    real difference in how far or fast I can walk whether or not I am
    low-carbing or just eating regularly. Now... I am not running
    marathons or anything but I do try and walk several miles a day.

    Even on days when I eat nothing for breakfast I can still walk just as
    far.

    If there is no GLYCOGEN present can't the body make the necessary fuel
    it needs by breaking down its fat stores? So... this begs the
    question.... To exercise successfully do we really need to eat all
    those carbs to insure all that GLYCOGEN or can the body adapt without
    it?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID


  8. TC said:

    My guess is this:

    The amounts of carbs necessary to provide for adequate glycogen has
    been way overstated.

    and

    The ability of the body to get glycogen from non-carb foods has been
    way understated.

    and

    It is a very, very small percentage of people engage in sports or
    physical events that involve the need for world class athletic
    endurance and performance and need to pay attention to what they
    consume before, during and after their extreme physical activities.

    You will feel a difference running 5 miles

    Quoted message said:


    We simply do not need to "carb up" for regular every day exercise,
    sports and activities.

    Yeah just go around feeling terrible

    Quoted message said:


    Humans aren't designed to run 26 miles straight. So I can see where you
    may need to do something out of the ordinary when attempting a physical
    feat that is that out of the ordinary. You may need to consume
    something extra before, during or after the 26 mile run. Whether the
    better thing to do is drinking sugary drinks or eating meat, I don't
    know. And frankly, I don't care. I don't plan on running 26 miles any
    time soon. And I would guess 99% of people don't plan on running 26
    miles any time soon.

    It does not have to come anywhere close to running 26 miles to feel
    the effect.

    Quoted message said:


    For us normal folk, you know the majority

    the majority that are overweight or obese?

    Quoted message said:

    who just want to have the energy to get thru the day and partake in reasonable levels of physical
    activity on a regular basis, our bodies are able to take care of our
    glycogen needs on a relatively low carb diet without difficulty

    If your goal is to simply watch TV and eat than yes

    .. I've

    Quoted message said:

    yet to bonk out due to lack of carbs in my low-carb diet and I doubt
    that any typical person ever will.


    Raking leaves is not exercise

  9. You haven't a clue what activities I partake in. Jackass.

    You are attempting to talk authoritatively about something that you are
    completely ignorant about. Is that a pattern?

    TC

    jt said:
    TC said:

    My guess is this:

    The amounts of carbs necessary to provide for adequate glycogen has
    been way overstated.

    and

    The ability of the body to get glycogen from non-carb foods has been
    way understated.

    and

    It is a very, very small percentage of people engage in sports or
    physical events that involve the need for world class athletic
    endurance and performance and need to pay attention to what they
    consume before, during and after their extreme physical activities.

    You will feel a difference running 5 miles

    Quoted message said:


    We simply do not need to "carb up" for regular every day exercise,
    sports and activities.

    Yeah just go around feeling terrible

    Quoted message said:


    Humans aren't designed to run 26 miles straight. So I can see where you
    may need to do something out of the ordinary when attempting a physical
    feat that is that out of the ordinary. You may need to consume
    something extra before, during or after the 26 mile run. Whether the
    better thing to do is drinking sugary drinks or eating meat, I don't
    know. And frankly, I don't care. I don't plan on running 26 miles any
    time soon. And I would guess 99% of people don't plan on running 26
    miles any time soon.

    It does not have to come anywhere close to running 26 miles to feel
    the effect.

    Quoted message said:


    For us normal folk, you know the majority

    the majority that are overweight or obese?

    Quoted message said:

    who just want to have the energy to get thru the day and partake in reasonable levels of physical
    activity on a regular basis, our bodies are able to take care of our
    glycogen needs on a relatively low carb diet without difficulty

    If your goal is to simply watch TV and eat than yes

    . I've

    Quoted message said:

    yet to bonk out due to lack of carbs in my low-carb diet and I doubt
    that any typical person ever will.


    Raking leaves is not exercise

  10. TC said:

    You haven't a clue what activities I partake in. Jackass.

    You are attempting to talk authoritatively about something that you are
    completely ignorant about. Is that a pattern?

    TC

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Raking leaves is not exercise

    I'm sorry, blowing leaves

  11. "Joe the Aroma" <[email hidden]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For low intensity exercise muscle glycogen isn't that important,
    apparently your muscles can run on ketones or whatever (someone might want
    to correct

    ...fat usually.
    (muslces run on ATP which can be generated out of different sources- at low
    intensity mostly fat).

    <snip>

  12. "MMu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Joe the Aroma" <[email hidden]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For low intensity exercise muscle glycogen isn't that important,
    apparently your muscles can run on ketones or whatever (someone might
    want to correct

    ..fat usually.
    (muslces run on ATP which can be generated out of different sources- at
    low intensity mostly fat).

    <snip>

    Thanks.

  13. Who is "Leaves"?

    "jt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm sorry, blowing leaves

  14. bump

  15. "TC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You haven't a clue what activities I partake in. Jackass.

    Not do I but with your views over the months it is obvious you do not
    believe in more than a smidgen, if any, in exercise. It's obvious you
    haven't the remotest idea about the topic. Then again, you don't know
    much about nutrition so it is self explanatory.

    Quoted message said:

    You are attempting to talk authoritatively about something that you
    are
    completely ignorant about. Is that a pattern?

    You must be kidding. you're still spewing the same old myths. Bush will
    have quite a few open spots in the next few months maybe you can get a
    job with FEMA or World Health.

    -DF

  16. How's the trollin' yank?

    TC

    Doug Freese said:

    "TC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You haven't a clue what activities I partake in. Jackass.

    Not do I but with your views over the months it is obvious you do not
    believe in more than a smidgen, if any, in exercise. It's obvious you
    haven't the remotest idea about the topic. Then again, you don't know
    much about nutrition so it is self explanatory.

    Quoted message said:

    You are attempting to talk authoritatively about something that you
    are
    completely ignorant about. Is that a pattern?

    You must be kidding. you're still spewing the same old myths. Bush will
    have quite a few open spots in the next few months maybe you can get a
    job with FEMA or World Health.

    -DF

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.