Is Lance going to win the Tour de France?

Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:

>> It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
>> time of year since 1997.

> That's what everybody said LAST year.

???

Last year everybody was wondering if he was going to
find a sponsor to replace Coast. If his team was just
going to vaporize and he was going to ride the Tour
at all.

Last year he had a pretty unspectacular run-in to the
Tour.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Charles Hizark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
>> > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

>> > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

>> It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
>> time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
>> that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
>> good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
>> many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
>> a marked rider with a lesser team.

> Ullrich form is quite strong after the Tour de Suisse. But I think
> Lance is more well prepared & has a stronger team. In order for Jan to
> win he will have to attack continuously in the mountains. The problem
> however is that US Postal can fend off any attacks by Telekom. So
> Lance is my pick barring any suprises.

Ullrich gained time overall in the TTs last year. I do
not think it is a given at all that he will cough up
time at Alpe d'Huez. So I think you've got it backwards.
LANCE has to ride aggressively in the mountains. If LANCE
does not pick up time in the mountains, Ullrich wins.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<40ddfdae$1@darkstar>...
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
> > > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

> > > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

> > It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
> > time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
> > that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
> > good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
> > many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
> > a marked rider with a lesser team.

> > Ullrich will win.

> Always hold the Mayo on a Sausage (Creature).
>
> I was going to agree that it's Jan's year - notable sign,
> first people criticize him for not being in shape, then after
> he wins Tour de Suisse they say, well the hard part of the Tour
> is at the end so you don't want to peak too early.
> (Carmichael said that but he might have been referring to Mayo.)
>
> OTOH, Legate says it doesn't look like it will be super-hot.

Legate will be wrong.
It's already been pretty hot at the races
in Europe since June 1.

I would hope for cold weather too for the race
but It is not going to happen -- my guess.

> That favors Lance. OTOHOH, there are only what, two actual
> mountain top finishes? That could favor somebody who can get
> over the top with enough team to pull back time on the final
> descents. But then again, Jan is not the greatest descender.
>
> Enough candyassing, I take Jan. With the proviso that the
> winner is likely to be the contender whose team survives
> the forthcoming police raids unscathed. I don't have a
> clue who that's gonna be.

My exact prediction for GC:

1. Lance
2. Ullrich
3. Hamilton
4. Gutierrez
5. Mayo
6. Heras

DNS: Eric Saunders
DNF: Cipo, Pettachi

GREEN: Cooke
Polka: it's anyone's guess.

-Ken

K. J. Papai wrote:
> Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
>>> time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
>>> that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
>>> good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
>>> many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
>>> a marked rider with a lesser team.

>>> Ullrich will win.

>> Always hold the Mayo on a Sausage (Creature).
>>
>> I was going to agree that it's Jan's year - notable sign,
>> first people criticize him for not being in shape, then after
>> he wins Tour de Suisse they say, well the hard part of the Tour
>> is at the end so you don't want to peak too early.
>> (Carmichael said that but he might have been referring to Mayo.)
>>
>> OTOH, Legate says it doesn't look like it will be super-hot.

> Legate will be wrong.
> It's already been pretty hot at the races
> in Europe since June 1.

Where in Europe do you live to give this opinion on the weather? Everyone I
have talked to has complained about how unnaturally cold it continues to be.
I have ridden in shorts only a handful of times this year; the rest of the
time I've worn knicks (I generally don't expose my knees until it hits 20C).
The trend may change in July but, so far, all indicators point to a cool
Tour.

[email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey,
>
> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
> are many others who are equally capable.
>
> Thanks,
> Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

Still only in second after 12 stages....not looking good for Big Tex.

Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Jeff Jones wrote:

> > > I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
> > > that.
> > >
> > > Jeff (the Elder)

> > So I'm Junior now? ;)

> No, if he's "the Elder", that would make you "the Younger", at least by
> my reckoning.
>
> --
> tanx,
> Howard
>
> "The fickleness of fame and fortune's caprice
> Together changed the life of Mason Reese"
> Alice Donut
>
> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Hey,

How does it lokk now?

Thank you,
Ronde Chumpion

in article [email protected], ronde chumpion
at [email protected] wrote on 7/17/04 9:15 PM:

> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> So I'm Junior now? ;)

>> No, if he's "the Elder", that would make you "the Younger", at least by
>> my reckoning.
>>
>> --
>> tanx,
>> Howard
>>
>> "The fickleness of fame and fortune's caprice
>> Together changed the life of Mason Reese"
>> Alice Donut
>>
>> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> Hey,
>
> How does it lokk now?
>
> Thank you,
> Ronde Chumpion

Three men named Jeff Jones, all wrong.

-Sonarrat.

Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.
>
> Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.
>
> Dan
> San Francisco

Dan

Fabio Cancellara can. He did on stage 13....

RC