Is Mountain Bike Racing dead or just NORBA???

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by CoBikeRacer, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. CoBikeRacer

    CoBikeRacer Guest

    Numbers at the end of 2004.
    While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
    13872 Members.
    Only 3 States have more then 1000 members:
    California - 3269
    Colorado - 1498
    Texas - 1034.

    Living in Colorado we have the Mountain States Series which is NORBA,
    Winter Park Series which is Independant and then a number of other
    NORBA races not park of a series.
    I see why USAC only upped the USCF One-Day Fee to $10 and kept the
    NORBA at $5 for Sport & Beginner. I think this $5 fee goes to
    promoters so they will permit through NORBA...

    So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
    What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

    Tags:

  2. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    CoBikeRacer wrote:
    > Numbers at the end of 2004.
    > While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
    > 13872 Members.
    > Only 3 States have more then 1000 members:
    > California - 3269
    > Colorado - 1498
    > Texas - 1034.
    >
    > Living in Colorado we have the Mountain States Series which is NORBA,
    > Winter Park Series which is Independant and then a number of other
    > NORBA races not park of a series.
    > I see why USAC only upped the USCF One-Day Fee to $10 and kept the
    > NORBA at $5 for Sport & Beginner. I think this $5 fee goes to
    > promoters so they will permit through NORBA...
    >
    > So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
    > What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

    In our area BMX is growing again, but between trail
    restrictions/closures and other hassles MTB seems to be shrinking.
    We've also got more Jr interest in road than in quite a while, could be
    because quite a few clubs are really looking for, and creating new
    riders. Wish we had half the problems that Casey and the NCNCA are
    having though.
    Not sure what exactly they are doing , but damn we've got to get some
    of that.
    Bill C

  3. I think MTB riders tend to care less about how an organization measures
    their progress or success, hence less of a need to join an
    organization. Also, with fewer MTB races available nationwide, it just
    makes more sense to do 1-days. If you race 5 times per year, why pay
    the equivilent of doing 10?

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

    > CoBikeRacer wrote:
    > > Numbers at the end of 2004.
    > > While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
    > > 13872 Members.
    > > Only 3 States have more then 1000 members:
    > > California - 3269
    > > Colorado - 1498
    > > Texas - 1034.
    > >
    > > Living in Colorado we have the Mountain States Series which is NORBA,
    > > Winter Park Series which is Independant and then a number of other
    > > NORBA races not park of a series.
    > > I see why USAC only upped the USCF One-Day Fee to $10 and kept the
    > > NORBA at $5 for Sport & Beginner. I think this $5 fee goes to
    > > promoters so they will permit through NORBA...
    > >
    > > So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
    > > What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

    > In our area BMX is growing again, but between trail
    > restrictions/closures and other hassles MTB seems to be shrinking.
    > We've also got more Jr interest in road than in quite a while, could be
    > because quite a few clubs are really looking for, and creating new
    > riders. Wish we had half the problems that Casey and the NCNCA are
    > having though.
    > Not sure what exactly they are doing , but damn we've got to get some
    > of that.

    I think our growing junior fields are due to several factors that have
    been going on for a number of years.

    We have a couple fo junior specific clubs that have been slowly growing
    each year. We also have a number of adult clubs that have been putting
    in more efforts in building their junior ranks.

    Our junior points series that give extra recognition ( and prizes) to
    juniors.

    The growing High School Mt. bike league in our region. I know of a
    number of juniors who have crossed over from the Mt. bike racing to
    road racing.

    The number of races that include youth and kids events as part of the
    program that expose young riders to racing.

    Programs at our local velodrome.

    All of the above have been going on for a few years now and each
    program plays a role in helping to bring more juniors into racing.

    Casey

  5. CoBikeRacer wrote:
    > Numbers at the end of 2004.
    > While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
    > 13872 Members.
    > So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
    > What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

    I think it is related to the Norba's policy regarding marjuanna.

    RVD

  6. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    CoBikeRacer wrote:

    > So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
    > What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

    some of the most fun "racing" doesn't require a NORBA license...VT50 and
    other "marathon events"

  7. CoBikeRacer

    CoBikeRacer Guest

    In Colorado we have a few 100 Mile & 24 Hour MTB "Races".

    I guess since most of those are mass start it doens't matter what your
    category is. One-Day fee is small compared to the entry fee some of
    the races charge. Leadville 100 - $220 Entry Fee. WOW!!!!!!!

  8. bikegear4u

    bikegear4u Guest

    Mountain biking is dead....

    From http://soprojones.com/archives/FUN/harpursville_herald.htm

    Obituaries

    Mountain Biking passed away this past Sunday afternoon. Mountain biking
    is survived by several friends and relatives including Ned Overend, John
    Tomac, Hans Rey, Greg Herbold and many others. Mountain Biking had
    suffered for years and passed away peacefully in the Sierra Nevada
    mountains of California. Contributions can be sent to Road Biking, C/O
    USA cycling, One Olympic Plaza, Colorado Springs CO, 56786. There will
    be no services but many earthy bars and eateries will be having memorial
    services this following weekend.