Is this hub axle cap supposed to come off like this?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jojoma, Nov 13, 2018.

1. jojoma

jojoma New Member

Hi,

This cap can easily fall off when I remove the wheel from the dropouts. Just wondering if this is normal?? I think it is. There are no threads anywhere for this cap to screw onto.

If it is normal for this cap to come off, it seems like a poor design. A least 5-6 times, the freehub body has slid out, requiring me to usually remove the cassette to re-insert the freehub body.

Thanks for any insight.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

It's kinda-sorta normal.

For a cartridge bearing wheel, it's common not to have anything "solid" keeping the caps/axle ends in place.
    It's also common to have something that provides a bit of a press-fit to keep things together when off the bike.
    The cartridge hubs I've got have o-rings to provide that bit of retention to make handling easier.

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

It is an 'inexpensive' to build and assemble design. As dabac stated it is also somewhat of a common design element these days.

If you want additional retention friction so that it doesn't fall out of the freehub body so easily, slip it over a socket used as an anvil surface and prevent deformation and use a prick punch / hammer to raise one or two pein marks.

4. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

That looks like you partially disassembled it. The actual axle isn't there and you're holding what is essentially a spacer. You have to be a whole lot more descriptive of what that is and what you've done. If that is a used wheel the axle might have broken and been removed.

5. VictoriaTegg9520

VictoriaTegg9520 New Member

Grease caps, like the one at the center of this wheel hub, keep wheel bearing ... tools, equipment and accessories that come along with it, it's easy to be a bit ...