Is this hub axle cap supposed to come off like this?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Hi,

This cap can easily fall off when I remove the wheel from the dropouts. Just wondering if this is normal?? I think it is. There are no threads anywhere for this cap to screw onto.

If it is normal for this cap to come off, it seems like a poor design. A least 5-6 times, the freehub body has slid out, requiring me to usually remove the cassette to re-insert the freehub body.

Thanks for any insight.

IMG_20181113_133112260_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_133112260_HDR.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 27
It's kinda-sorta normal.

For a cartridge bearing wheel, it's common not to have anything "solid" keeping the caps/axle ends in place.
It's also common to have something that provides a bit of a press-fit to keep things together when off the bike.
The cartridge hubs I've got have o-rings to provide that bit of retention to make handling easier.

it seems like a poor design.

It is an 'inexpensive' to build and assemble design. As dabac stated it is also somewhat of a common design element these days.

If you want additional retention friction so that it doesn't fall out of the freehub body so easily, slip it over a socket used as an anvil surface and prevent deformation and use a ***** punch / hammer to raise one or two pein marks.

Hi,

This cap can easily fall off when I remove the wheel from the dropouts. Just wondering if this is normal?? I think it is. There are no threads anywhere for this cap to screw onto.

If it is normal for this cap to come off, it seems like a poor design. A least 5-6 times, the freehub body has slid out, requiring me to usually remove the cassette to re-insert the freehub body.

Thanks for any insight.

That looks like you partially disassembled it. The actual axle isn't there and you're holding what is essentially a spacer. You have to be a whole lot more descriptive of what that is and what you've done. If that is a used wheel the axle might have broken and been removed.

kd: I'm not trying to insite a war or anything, but i would like to offer you a reason for manditory helmets:
1)if something as simple as a helmet could prevent severe brain damage or death, why would you opose it?
2)I know our healthcare systems are different, however, lets say someone is left with severe brain damage from a cycling accident where no helmet was worn. Who do think pays for that persons treatment? (tax payers). Now because said person is now physically disabled, they now qualify for disability pension, Who pays for that? (taxpayers again sam.) Now what do think is the cost to a)treat said person, b)support said person for the rest of their natural life.