Shimano Hone axle mount rear derailleurs - Adapting A ShimanoParallax Hub ?

mw3

Guest
I am interested in determining if there is a cost effective manner to
mount a "saint like" Shimano Hone Rear Derailleur to a common Shimano
LX type Parallax rear hub. Ideally there would be some means to
replace the hollow axle in this type of common quick release rear hub
with a solid axle ( threaded bolt on ) and mount the Hone rear
derailleur to it.

There is a partial model solution for the prior Saint Rear derailleur,
this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU408Z37-Problem+Solvers+Axle+For+Saint+Der.aspx

but it is unclear if this actually works on a Quick Release hub. It
likely does not apparently.

The parts cost is not critical, as I am trying to save the cost of
making up anew wheel with the Hone Rear hub. I do not run disk brakes,
just Rim Brakes with an 8 speed setup.

The reason I ask this is that there is a super deal on new Hone
Derailleurs that makes this worth asking.

It might be worth my while to make a custom solid rear axle, or
possibly just convert the Shimano LX Parallax rear hub to a common
solid axle and make / modify appropriate nuts and tubular shims as
might be needed? Any kinf of rear adapter plate needed for the Hone
for proper rear bracing?

Is the a viable strategy, or is there something weird in the Hone hub
mount that precludes adapting a common Quick Release hub to a
retrofitted threaded solid axle, for use with mounting a Hone Rear
dearilleur to a non disk 8 speed hub?

Even if I wanted to do some mods to the existing hub's axle and cones
and nuts?

Thanks !

mw3 wrote:
> I am interested in determining if there is a cost effective manner to
> mount a "saint like" Shimano Hone Rear Derailleur to a common Shimano
> LX type Parallax rear hub. Ideally there would be some means to
> replace the hollow axle in this type of common quick release rear hub
> with a solid axle ( threaded bolt on ) and mount the Hone rear
> derailleur to it.
>
> There is a partial model solution for the prior Saint Rear derailleur,
> this
>
> http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU408Z37-Problem+Solvers+Axle+For+Saint+Der.aspx
>
> but it is unclear if this actually works on a Quick Release hub. It
> likely does not apparently.
>
> The parts cost is not critical, as I am trying to save the cost of
> making up anew wheel with the Hone Rear hub. I do not run disk brakes,
> just Rim Brakes with an 8 speed setup.
>
> The reason I ask this is that there is a super deal on new Hone
> Derailleurs that makes this worth asking.
>
> It might be worth my while to make a custom solid rear axle, or
> possibly just convert the Shimano LX Parallax rear hub to a common
> solid axle and make / modify appropriate nuts and tubular shims as
> might be needed? Any kinf of rear adapter plate needed for the Hone
> for proper rear bracing?
>
> Is the a viable strategy, or is there something weird in the Hone hub
> mount that precludes adapting a common Quick Release hub to a
> retrofitted threaded solid axle, for use with mounting a Hone Rear
> dearilleur to a non disk 8 speed hub?
>
> Even if I wanted to do some mods to the existing hub's axle and cones
> and nuts?
>
> Thanks !

You can buy a complete Hone axle assembly which fits any shimano FH hub
with 10mm axle. It comes whith cones you don't need and the fancy LH
nut. If you don't mind carrying a 15mm spanner an ordinary Shimano axle
185mm)/nut will be cheaper

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:36:38 -0800 (PST), mw3 <[email protected]> may
have said:

Assuming that you have a frame without a der tab (which is the only
reason that I can see for bothering with an axle-mounted der, given
the hassles involved in fixing a flat when one is present), then any
10x1.0mm solid axle of the correct length, with a suitable set of
nuts, will do the job. Just transfer the existing cones and washers to
the solid axle, mount up and go.

www.biketoolsetc.com has a 175mm rear axle with nuts (and extra bits
that you don't need) for about US$8 (plus shipping).