Jeanson, episode 2

On Sep 30, 8:28 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > the World Junior Cycling Championships. I thought it was strange when I went
> > > over to give her some congratulatory words and she only acknowledged me with
> > > a movement of her head. And rather than staying to celebrate the win with
> > > her team mates, she quickly left the ceremony in the company of Aubut. This
> > > made me suspect that something was wrong, but I didn't know that she was
> > > doping."

> > > Rumours began to come back to Rossi about how tough Aubut was with girls who
> > > trained with him in Arizona. Rossi asked Jeanson's father about the
> > > situation, but the response was that he had confidence in Aubut.

> > > Rossi does not put too much blame on either Jeanson or on Aubut for
> > > Jeanson's doping. He points instead to the F?d?ration Qu?b?coise des Sports
> > > Cyclistes (FQSC), the Canadian Cycling Association (CCA) and Sport Canada
> > > and wonders why these organizations didn't notice something was amiss. "It
> > > was known that Aubut was not following prescribed coaching programs. Maybe
> > > someone wasn't doing their job..." suggests Rossi.

> > > Rossi sends out this warning to the parents of young athletes. "It doesn't
> > > matter if it's cycling or hockey or speed skating or whatever. Coaches
> > > should not be left alone for long periods with young athletes, whether they
> > > are girls or boys. This can lead to many different problems."

> > I disagree with Rossi on this point. The head of the Quebec federation
> > said they knew the Jeanson/Aubut relationship was problematic, but
> > they couldn't do anything when both seemed willing partners and her
> > parents showed him unconditional support. I think this shows a respect
> > for individual decisions of racers and is commendable as a principle.
> > The alternative would be that the federation would continually screen
> > athletes for their personal choice of coach or training method and
> > sanction them accordingly, which I would find more objectionable in
> > principle.

> In general, I concur with Ilan. But I have to say that we're all kind of
> dancing around the fact that the training started at 15, and the EPO
> started at age 16. At those ages, your parents are kinda sorta supposed
> to be looking out for your interests. Instead, they happily (or at best,
> ignorantly) let daughter and coach set out on a path that was
> dumbfoundingly bad.
>
> I think, for the most part, parents should be allowed to be parents. But
> the converse of that is that they have almost total responsibility for
> letting a lunatic like Aubut coach Jeanson.
>
> I'm not saying this to mitigate Jeanson's eventual responsibility for
> her behavior as a grown-up, but more to figure out what to do about
> future situations where kids are doping.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

I don't think anyone ever suspected that the EPO started when she was
16, since that decision was so completely stupid (as well as immoral).
In some sense, Jeanson could be compared to other girls her age who
get into drugs, alcohol, or have eating disorders, due to necessity of
having to perform. From that point of view, she could be compared to
singers or actors who have to be at their performances, so eventually
resort to drugs because the tickets have already been paid for.
Jeanson comes out better than them, because EPO didn't affect her
mental state, is not addictive, and the physical effects were not as
bad as with drugs. You then have to consider the great number of girls
her age who got addicted to alcohol or drugs even without early career
pressures. What is amazing (and frustrating) about the Jeanson case is
that so much of the EPO taking was in fact useless for her career,
especially at the beginning.

I looked at the responses on the Enquete web site from people who saw
the show in Quebec, and they are all overwhelmingly supportive of
Jeanson, so she should come out of this OK, with her public at least.

-ilan

> [...]

they
> > > are girls or boys. This can lead to many different problems."

> > I disagree with Rossi on this point. The head of the Quebec federation
> > said they knew the Jeanson/Aubut relationship was problematic, but
> > they couldn't do anything when both seemed willing partners and her
> > parents showed him unconditional support. I think this shows a respect
> > for individual decisions of racers and is commendable as a principle.
> > The alternative would be that the federation would continually screen
> > athletes for their personal choice of coach or training method and
> > sanction them accordingly, which I would find more objectionable in
> > principle.

> In general, I concur with Ilan. But I have to say that we're all kind of
> dancing around the fact that the training started at 15,

It seems she started shortly after age 11, in what capacity, it doesn't say,
but she medaled at age 13 it says.

GBMT

> [...]

> having to perform. From that point of view, she could be compared to
> singers or actors who have to be at their performances, so eventually
> resort to drugs because the tickets have already been paid for.
> Jeanson comes out better than them, because EPO didn't affect her
> mental state, is not addictive, and the physical effects were not as
> bad as with drugs. You then have to consider the great number of girls
> her age who got addicted to alcohol or drugs even without early career
> pressures. What is amazing (and frustrating) about the Jeanson case is
> that so much of the EPO taking was in fact useless for her career,
> especially at the beginning.
>
> I looked at the responses on the Enquete web site from people who saw
> the show in Quebec, and they are all overwhelmingly supportive of
> Jeanson, so she should come out of this OK, with her public at least.

I kind of get that sense too. She won't have to hide under a rock like
Aubut, but in Phoenix, I doubt anyone knows who she is walking down the
street with a cowboy hat and spiked colored hair! I think there is no
problem moving on with her life, but what kind of job will Aubut be offered
now?

GBMT

On Sep 30, 5:08 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> > bad as with drugs. You then have to consider the great number of girls
> > her age who got addicted to alcohol or drugs even without early career
> > pressures. What is amazing (and frustrating) about the Jeanson case is
> > that so much of the EPO taking was in fact useless for her career,
> > especially at the beginning.

> > I looked at the responses on the Enquete web site from people who saw
> > the show in Quebec, and they are all overwhelmingly supportive of
> > Jeanson, so she should come out of this OK, with her public at least.

> > -ilan

> I kind of get that sense too. She won't have to hide under a rock like
> Aubut, but in Phoenix, I doubt anyone knows who she is walking down the
> street with a cowboy hat and spiked colored hair! I think there is no
> problem moving on with her life, but what kind of job will Aubut be offered

dumbass,

she had many chances to leave aubut, but even after her positive test
(which put her career in the toilet) she still "married" to him.

if she isn't already shacked up with him she will be soon.