just how much food is needed to ride?

Technician

Guest
Ok, i'm rather sick of carrying around this spare tire, and other extra fat, so my thought is, if i
eat the minimum required to ride, then do several small rides (just long enough to work into the
reserves), then i should be able to burn the fat off in no time. i have a very high metabolism so it
shouldn't be difficult (though it may have slowed down as i aged). i figure if i eat according to
the "suggested serving size" on most foods i should be somewhere near what i should be eating(i say
as i ate a salad for supper, only to top it off with 6 servings of cookie-dough ice-cream). but on
the other hand, i don't want to under- eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only 4 miles
of an 8 mile loop.

So, for figuring, i am 6' 3.5", and i weigh, well, last i checked, about 210, though it may be up to
215 or so by now.

My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive. i mean,
sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look somewhat good. Then
too, i look about 40, when i am only 23, so that may have something to do with it (aside from the
"slight" mental instability). maybe if i shave off the mustache and go for some thinner glasses
frames. but anyway, back to the subject at hand.

How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not going
for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter insulation.
--
~Travis

On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:27:21 -0400, Technician wrote:

> How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding?

It sounds like most of your rides are in the short 4-8 mile category; you really shouldn't need any
food unless you haven't eaten for awhile before the ride. For rides that are longer, some small
snack like a Clif bar or pop-tarts will do.

Realistically, if you're riding a lot, you'll probably lose weight anyway. I lost 20 pounds the
first summer without even trying.

On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:27:21 -0400, Technician wrote:

> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive.
> i mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look
> somewhat good.

OK, I can't help myself...gotta say something about this one! Marriage won't necessarily relieve you
of the need to look somewhat good (at least, it SHOULDN'T). I see a lot of guys slack off big-time
after they get married, and I just think that's just plain rude. Here's the woman who's agreed to
spend her entire life with some guy, and he rewards her by wearing sweatpants and t-shirts over some
ever-inflating Homer Simpson beer belly? That ain't right!

And yes, "lose the mustache" is almost always good advice.

On Tue, 20 May 2003 18:27:21 -0700, Technician wrote:

> How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not going
> for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter insulation.

There's no magic chart you can look up that's going to tell you how much to eat. Serving sizes are
BS. I mean, really, 2 oreos? A sane person would know it's the entire row.

Learn to listen to your body, and eat what it tells you. There is a really good book by Geneen Roth,
_Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating_, that might help you.

And _always_ bring food with you on a ride. It's part of being prepared.

gabrielle

On Tue, 20 May 2003 19:30:57 -0700, BB wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:27:21 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
>> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive.
>> i mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look
>> somewhat good.
>
> OK, I can't help myself...gotta say something about this one! Marriage won't necessarily relieve
> you of the need to look somewhat good (at least, it SHOULDN'T). I see a lot of guys slack off
> big-time after they get married, and I just think that's just plain rude. Here's the woman who's
> agreed to spend her entire life with some guy, and he rewards her by wearing sweatpants and
> t-shirts over some ever-inflating Homer Simpson beer belly? That ain't right!

hee hee, took the words right out of my mouth!

gabrielle

> Ok, i'm rather sick of carrying around this spare tire, and other extra fat, so my thought is, if
> i eat the minimum required to ride, then do several small rides (just long enough to work into the
> reserves), then i should be able to burn the fat off in no time. i have a very high metabolism so
> it shouldn't be difficult (though it may have slowed down as i aged). i figure if i eat according
> to the "suggested serving size" on most foods i should be somewhere near what i should be eating(i
> say as i ate a salad for supper, only to top it off with 6 servings of cookie-dough ice-cream).
> but on the other hand, i don't want to under- eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only
> 4 miles of an 8 mile loop.
>
> So, for figuring, i am 6' 3.5", and i weigh, well, last i checked, about 210, though it may be up
> to 215 or so by now.
>
> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive. i
> mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look somewhat
> good. Then too, i look about 40, when i am only 23, so that may have something to do with it
> (aside from the "slight" mental instability). maybe if i shave off the mustache and go for some
> thinner glasses frames. but anyway, back to the subject at hand.
>
> How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not going
> for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter insulation.
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

I don't think that you should worry too much about what to eat. For the 8 mile rides, as BB said,
you really shouldn't need much or anything at all - unless you're riding on an empty stomach. For
shortish ride (<30km) I might take a Mars bar or a muesli bar and make sure I've had lunch or
breakfast. Do a Google on discussions about "nutrition" in this newsgroup. There have been some good
ones and they'll make interesting reading. At the risk of sounding corny I think that you should
just "Get out and ride" and not worry so much about what your eating. Any sensible eating and lots
of riding will result in substantial weight loss. I lost something like 12 pounds last summer from
riding and even then I ate and drank like a pig in beer all summer.
--
Westie

Technician wrote:
> Ok, i'm rather sick of carrying around this spare tire, and other extra fat, so my thought is, if
> i eat the minimum required to ride, then do several small rides (just long enough to work into the
> reserves), then i should be able to burn the fat off in no time.

The best way to work in to your reserves is low intensity exercise (60-70%) over a prolonged period
of time. Short rides are good, but you'll see better results if you ride for 2 hours plus.

i have a very high
> metabolism so it shouldn't be difficult (though it may have slowed down as i aged). i figure if i
> eat according to the "suggested serving size" on most foods i should be somewhere near what i
> should be eating(i say as i ate a salad for supper, only to top it off with 6 servings of
> cookie-dough ice-cream).

Is that American suggested serving size? :)

Taking notice of what's on the packets isn't going to do you any good. You are now at the age where
you should be able to determine how much is too much. You should also be able to determine what
foods are good for you. Be honest with yourself.

You're not a top athlete, so there's no point weighing out the calories or the food group
percentages, but do try and keep a healthy balanced diet. Make sure you're taking in lots of fruit
and veg, and err towards carbohydrates.

What you are ultimately aiming for is a negative energy balance. That is, energy expended exceeds
energy consumed.

but on the other hand, i don't want to under-
> eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only 4 miles of an 8 mile loop.

To 'bonk', you need to run out of carbohydrate. Now, unless you've not eaten for two days, this is
not going to happen after four miles.

> So, for figuring, i am 6' 3.5", and i weigh, well, last i checked, about 210, though it may be up
> to 215 or so by now.
>
> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive. i
> mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look somewhat
> good. Then too, i look about 40, when i am only 23, so that may have something to do with it
> (aside from the "slight" mental instability). maybe if i shave off the mustache and go for some
> thinner glasses frames. but anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Pride in your appearance is always a good thing. Getting rid of the gut would be a good start, and
my personal thoughts would be to do away with the 'tache.

> How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not going
> for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter insulation.

You make it sound like an exact science. Just eat normally and go riding. Take along some trail food
on long rides for when you feel your energy levels drop.

BB says:

>And yes, "lose the mustache" is almost always good advice.

But my beard would look so silly on its own....

;-)

Technician said...

> How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not going
> for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter insulation.

I seldom eat anything on a ride of 4 hours or less. Just don't leave hungry and eat when
you get back.

> BB says:
>
> >And yes, "lose the mustache" is almost always good advice.
>
> But my beard would look so silly on its own....
>
> ;-)

but then, i bet you look close to your age, younger, or married to a loving and accepting wife who
does not care how old or young your facial hair makes you look.
--
~Travis

> Technician wrote:
> > Ok, i'm rather sick of carrying around this spare tire, and other extra fat, so my thought is,
> > if i eat the minimum required to ride, then do several small rides (just long enough to work
> > into the reserves), then i should be able to burn the fat off in no time.
>
> The best way to work in to your reserves is low intensity exercise (60-70%) over a prolonged
> period of time. Short rides are good, but you'll see better results if you ride for 2 hours plus.

So then the 40 mile rail-trail ride would be a good thing? it is quite low intensity, aside from the
occasional 4 lane highway that i have to sprint across in the big ring to survive (funny, they stop
or slowdown for ATVs, but i think they target bikes)

> i have a very high
> > metabolism so it shouldn't be difficult (though it may have slowed down as i aged). i figure if
> > i eat according to the "suggested serving size" on most foods i should be somewhere near what i
> > should be eating(i say as i ate a salad for supper, only to top it off with 6 servings of
> > cookie-dough ice-cream).
>
> Is that American suggested serving size? :)
>
> Taking notice of what's on the packets isn't going to do you any good. You are now at the age
> where you should be able to determine how much is too much. You should also be able to determine
> what foods are good for you. Be honest with yourself.
>
> You're not a top athlete, so there's no point weighing out the calories or the food group
> percentages, but do try and keep a healthy balanced diet. Make sure you're taking in lots of fruit
> and veg, and err towards carbohydrates.

ok, so the basic response seems to be eat normally, aside from the 6 servings of ice-cream, and
looks like my pre-ride big bowl of pasta is out (usually saved for the 15 mile rides anyway). i'll
see about buying some energy bars for the long rides. any snack substitutes that work just as good?
like maybe a standard granola bar?

> What you are ultimately aiming for is a negative energy balance. That is, energy expended exceeds
> energy consumed.

So basically i need to figure out roughly how much energy is spent, versus how much is eaten (ie, if
i bonk after 3 feet, eat more. but if i last for 300 miles, eat less ;-)

> but on the other hand, i don't want to under-
> > eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only 4 miles of an 8 mile loop.
>
> To 'bonk', you need to run out of carbohydrate. Now, unless you've not eaten for two days, this is
> not going to happen after four miles.
>
> > So, for figuring, i am 6' 3.5", and i weigh, well, last i checked, about 210, though it may be
> > up to 215 or so by now.
> >
> > My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive. i
> > mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look somewhat
> > good. Then too, i look about 40, when i am only 23, so that may have something to do with it
> > (aside from the "slight" mental instability). maybe if i shave off the mustache and go for some
> > thinner glasses frames. but anyway, back to the subject at hand.
>
> Pride in your appearance is always a good thing. Getting rid of the gut would be a good start, and
> my personal thoughts would be to do away with the 'tache.

Yeah, lots seem to be saying to lose the stache. it's just so hard to let go. maybe i'll get a
before and after shot for folks to **** their pants laughing at ;-)

Interestingly, it has only been shaven off once, and that's after i trimmed it wrong to the point of
no correction. gonna be strange without the soup strainer. i have had it for, well, about 7 years or
so. i'll feel naked with it gone.

> > How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not
> > going for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter
> > insulation.
>
> You make it sound like an exact science. Just eat normally and go riding. Take along some trail
> food on long rides for when you feel your energy levels drop.

he he, OCD strikes again. can't do anything without obsessing over it. maybe i would make a better
roadie ;-)
--
~Travis

> Travis says:
>
> >but then, i bet you look close to your age, younger, or married to a loving and accepting wife
> >who does not care how old or young your facial hair makes you look.
>
> I _think_ I look my age (48) and Yes, married to the same woman for 27 years now. She cares how
> old I look, but is willing to concede that as the hair on top thins, it is only fair that I be
> allowed to grow hair where it is still possible. ;-)
>
> Steve "bearded old fart"

he he he
--
~Travis

Technician wrote:

>>The best way to work in to your reserves is low intensity exercise (60-70%) over a prolonged
>>period of time. Short rides are good, but you'll see better results if you ride for 2 hours plus.
>>

> So then the 40 mile rail-trail ride would be a good thing? it is quite low intensity, aside from
> the occasional 4 lane highway that i have to sprint across in the big ring to survive (funny, they
> stop or slowdown for ATVs, but i think they target bikes)

Theoretically, yes, that would be the ideal way to lose fat. Do that two to three times a week and
you'd lose the excess fat in no time. OTOH, it sounds a little dull and it currently sounds out of
your range.

>>You're not a top athlete, so there's no point weighing out the calories or the food group
>>percentages, but do try and keep a healthy balanced diet. Make sure you're taking in lots of fruit
>>and veg, and err towards carbohydrates.
>>

> ok, so the basic response seems to be eat normally, aside from the 6 servings of ice-cream, and
> looks like my pre-ride big bowl of pasta is out (usually saved for the 15 mile rides anyway).

You don't need to eat just before a ride. If anything, it's a bad idea
- the carbs won't be broken down and you'll be riding on a full stomach. Eating a big bowl of pasta
a few hours before is a better idea if you're planning an epic.

i'll see about buying
> some energy bars for the long rides. any snack substitutes that work just as good? like maybe a
> standard granola bar?

Common topic here: nuts, raisins, jelly babies, pop tarts, pbj sarnies all usually score well.

>>What you are ultimately aiming for is a negative energy balance. That is, energy expended exceeds
>>energy consumed.
>>

> So basically i need to figure out roughly how much energy is spent, versus how much is eaten (ie,
> if i bonk after 3 feet, eat more. but if i last for 300 miles, eat less ;-)

Hmm, no. This isn't to do with bonking, it's to do with fat loss. If you consume less calories than
you expend you will lose fat.

And stop worrying about bonking, it rarely happens.

>>Pride in your appearance is always a good thing. Getting rid of the gut would be a good start, and
>>my personal thoughts would be to do away with the 'tache.
>>

> Yeah, lots seem to be saying to lose the stache. it's just so hard to let go. maybe i'll get a
> before and after shot for folks to **** their pants laughing at ;-)

Hell, why not, and have a laugh at yourself :)

BB thoughtfully penned:
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:27:21 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
>> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive.
>> i mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look
>> somewhat good.
>
> OK, I can't help myself...gotta say something about this one! Marriage won't necessarily relieve
> you of the need to look somewhat good (at least, it SHOULDN'T). I see a lot of guys slack off
> big-time after they get married, and I just think that's just plain rude. Here's the woman who's
> agreed to spend her entire life with some guy, and he rewards her by wearing sweatpants and
> t-shirts over some ever-inflating Homer Simpson beer belly? That ain't right!

what he said.>

> And yes, "lose the mustache" is almost always good advice.

from a woman's perspective, depends on they guys, my hubby's had one ever since I met him and I like
it just fine.

Penny

Technician thoughtfully penned:
>> Technician wrote:
>>> Ok, i'm rather sick of carrying around this spare tire, and other extra fat, so my thought is,
>>> if i eat the minimum required to ride, then do several small rides (just long enough to work
>>> into the reserves), then i should be able to burn the fat off in no time.
>>
>> The best way to work in to your reserves is low intensity exercise (60-70%) over a prolonged
>> period of time. Short rides are good, but you'll see better results if you ride for 2 hours plus.

I've been reading a lot of stuff that seems to indicate higher intestensity i does the same thing,
just for more poeple maintaining lower intenstity is easier.

> So then the 40 mile rail-trail ride would be a good thing? it is quite low intensity, aside from
> the occasional 4 lane highway that i have to sprint across in the big ring to survive (funny, they
> stop or slowdown for ATVs, but i think they target bikes)

Do you really need to ask that? Anything is going to be better for you than 1 mile trail rides.
Forty mile rides will help build endurance too if you do them regularly.

Eat less, exercise more. No garbage in. eat good foods.

Penny

> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive. i
> mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look somewhat
> good. -- ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Man, do you have a lot to learn. I guess this attitude is OK as long as your SO gets to gain 40 lbs
and let her looks go to sh*t. Tell you what I'm gonna do. Move to Colorado, most any place will do.
We have (according to some polls) the least fat population, and according to me, some of the most
beautiful women from 18 to 80 I have seen in any state. Here in Durango, they are all fit (well,
most). If that doesn't inspire you to get rid of your lard butt, there is no hope.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)