just how much food is needed to ride?

> > > Count me as one vote against the flat top. Unless you're interviewing to be a cop, or joining
> > > a survivalist group (in which case the 'stache would probably be fitting as well).
> > >

> > hmmm, makes a good point. what about going to a aeronautical university consisting of about 50 -
> > 75% military folk? just got my info from Embry-Riddle. looks like it may just be what i was
> > looking for as it is a field that can span quite a few of my interests. and according to the
> > Center director, i can even go for the "Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, with a
> > minor in Aviation Safety, thus receiving an AMT". not sure what that is but it sounds
> > impressive.
> > --
> go to a decent salon or even Super cuts, they'll have a book of current haircuts that you can
> choose from. I know, I know, no Supercuts or hairstylist, or hair salons, or beauty schools where
> you can get cheap haircuts where you live...
>
> Penny
>

> > ~Travis
> >
> > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Considering my mother has regular appointments to get her hair cellophaned, i could hitch a
ride with her.

My hair cuts are usually quite good, its just the owner of the barber shop just hasn't the heart to
tell the senile old goat to retire. so my father usually "lets" me take the first empty chair, that
once in a while turns out to be the old guy. his last cuts were not too bad, but that one last
one... well, you can see in the picture (tempted to shave my head just to be rid of it).
--
~Travis

RE/
> but on the other hand, i don't want to under- eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only
> 4 miles of an 8 mile loop.

I'm guessing that this varies from person-to-person and maybe even at different for an individual
depending on how much riding they've been doing. Seems like marathon runners and, I guess, a lot
of cyclists have developed their ability to burn fat on-the-fly at much, much higher rates than
normal people.

But I'm no athlete - never have been, never will be.

My experience is that somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours out I could use some food - like a handfull
of grapes or a cookie.

When I used to ride a *lot* harder than I do now, I'd start eating about an hour into a four-hour
ride. Just a grape here and a grape there...it was sort of interesting to feel the sugar hit my
system...sudden increase in energy and all that.... But as far as *needing* to eat (i.e. starting to
feel lousey form lack of food) it always seems to me like 2.5-3 hours before my bod runs out of
readily-available fuel.

For me that means I almost never eat anything on my usual 2-3 hour rides.

On a weekend ride, when I'm out for six hours or so, I eat my usual breakfast of a bagel with butter
and plenty marmalade and then stop for lunch.

Water, OTOH, seems like a much higher priority for me. I take in about a quart on a 2 hour ride if
it's not too warm. In the summer, I trade the two old Gaterade bottles I usually carry for a 3-liter
HydraPack. I can really feel a difference in performance between drinking plenty water and not. On a
2-hour ride it's the diff between feeling essentially the same during the second hour and feeling
steadily worse.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Pete wrote:
> "Aviation Maintenance Technician"

I once put "Petroleum Transference Engineer" as a previous employment position.... sounded better
than "pumped gas at a Shell Station"

Technician wrote:

> (tempted to shave my head just to be rid of it).

I've been suggesting to my wife with notion for 2 years now..... She's adamant about me not going
full Kojak, though ;-(

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 21 May 2003 14:13:02 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
> > Not sure about a flat top, but we'll see.
>
> Count me as one vote against the flat top. Unless you're interviewing to be a cop, or joining a
> survivalist group (in which case the 'stache would probably be fitting as well).

You got the flat-top right. I tried one a few summers ago just for a laugh, and on vacation musta
got asked 20 times if I was a cop or in the service. It was definitely a distraction to people.

It is definitely a "conservative, para-military" look. Goes over great in most little towns in
Idaho, though. Got me right through the metal detectors once at the county courthouse, believe it or
not. I must have reminded them of somebody important.

Paladin

Technician wrote:
> Ok, i'm rather sick of carrying around this spare tire, and other extra fat, so my thought is, if
> i eat the minimum required to ride, then do several small rides (just long enough to work into the
> reserves), then i should be able to burn the fat off in no time. i have a very high metabolism so
> it shouldn't be difficult (though it may have slowed down as i aged). i figure if i eat according
> to the "suggested serving size" on most foods i should be somewhere near what i should be eating(i
> say as i ate a salad for supper, only to top it off with 6 servings of cookie-dough ice-cream).
> but on the other hand, i don't want to under- eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only
> 4 miles of an 8 mile loop.
>
> So, for figuring, i am 6' 3.5", and i weigh, well, last i checked, about 210, though it may be up
> to 215 or so by now.
>
> My reasoning for this sudden diet is simply that IMO, i am not exactly all that attractive. i
> mean, sure, if i was married i would be fine, but i am not, so i have a need to look somewhat
> good. Then too, i look about 40, when i am only 23, so that may have something to do with it
> (aside from the "slight" mental instability). maybe if i shave off the mustache and go for some
> thinner glasses frames. but anyway, back to the subject at hand.
>
> How much, in you folks opinion, should i be eating in order to survive while riding? i'm not going
> for anorexia here, just enough to get rid of the gut, "love handles", and winter insulation.

You shouldn't need anything but water for a 4 to 8 mile ride. And if you're going to eat
fast food on your way home, fine, but get a big diet soda, and only order one thing. Any
burger you want, but no fries, no shake, no fried pies. A burrito, but no nachos. A salad,
even with the fried chicken, if you want it, but no onion rings. At home, eat when you get
hungry, stop when you get full. Make a point of eating slowly so you'll notice when you feel
full. It's okay to leave food on your plate. Think of it as spiting your mama. Oh, and I
vote that you ditch the mustache. They almost always look contrived and vaguely creepy on
young men. Go clean shaven, or, if you absolutely have to do facial hair, add some sort of
small beard or soul patch to balance the 'stache. Really, though, if you're trying to market
yourself (and that's exactly what a job search is), clean shaven is the way to go.

Kathleen

Hey Travis,

You look just like a friend of mine back home in the states. Except he is in NJ and you
are in Maine.

-Dave

Technician wrote:

> well, ok, but you better keep small children from viewing it as it may cause nightmares ;-)
> http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/tmp/me.jpg

Ever see the video to 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys? http://www.j-harris.net/bike/sabotage.jpg -
I'm on the left ;~p

GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a 40
year old teacher. Your look screams 'lack of confidence', which is probably true. It's a vicious
circle though - look better, feel better. Taking pride in your appearance will give you extra
confidence.

The 'tache is unflattering - I still say get rid of it. And the glasses, hell, where did you get
those glasses? They're 70's-tastic! Smaller glasses with a thinner frame and / or contacts will do
you massive favours.

As has been mentioned already, get yourself to a decent hairdressers / stylist and leave yourself at
their mercy. They're professionals and have a pretty good idea of what will suit you. Tell them that
you're looking to get rid of your side-parting and want to go for a more modern style. They should
be able to take you through a couple of options and you can agree on the best.

Don't get a flat-top - it's a heinous crime, and purely for meat-heads. Sure, Vanilla Ice looked
cool, but then so did flappy pants with waistcoats 15 years ago. The only guy who still pulls off a
flat top with aplomb is John Goodman. I don't think you want to look like John Goodman.

Hope you take this in the manner that it was meant, in that it's constructive criticism. You have a
lot of potential - you're 6'3" with a well built frame. You're obviously fairly handsome, but you're
just not highlighting your features well.

Good luck, and with a few changes you should be beating birds off with a shitty stick :)

Technician wrote:

>>go to a decent salon or even Super cuts, they'll have a book of current haircuts that you can
>>choose from. I know, I know, no Supercuts or hairstylist, or hair salons, or beauty schools where
>>you can get cheap haircuts where you live...
>>

> Considering my mother has regular appointments to get her hair cellophaned, i could hitch a ride
> with her.
>
> My hair cuts are usually quite good, its just the owner of the barber shop just hasn't the heart
> to tell the senile old goat to retire. so my father usually "lets" me take the first empty chair,
> that once in a while turns out to be the old guy. his last cuts were not too bad, but that one
> last one... well, you can see in the picture (tempted to shave my head just to be rid of it).

Mate, you're 23 years old, what's with going to the barbers / hairdressers with your parents? Your
dad's screwing you with the senile old goat (oo-er) and your mother's hairdressers will be used to
doing, well, mothers' hair. Strike out and find yourself your own hairdresser / barber / stylist.

Paladin wrote:

> Now wait a minute, when I get home, I expect my wife to greet me at the door looking like a
> Penthouse Pet (do they still have those?), with the house clean, the kids quiet and dinner on the
> table, cold brew in hand.
>
> So when she wants to go out on a date, I take her to some Hooters bar on wet t-shirt night, and
> I'm dressed like a slob.
>
> Right??

Hell no! At least dress up to take the missus to a Hooters bar.

> Paladin wrote:
>
> > Now wait a minute, when I get home, I expect my wife to greet me at the door looking like a
> > Penthouse Pet (do they still have those?), with the house clean, the kids quiet and dinner on
> > the table, cold brew in hand.
> >
> > So when she wants to go out on a date, I take her to some Hooters bar on wet t-shirt night, and
> > I'm dressed like a slob.
> >
> > Right??
>
> Hell no! At least dress up to take the missus to a Hooters bar.

What, like orange hotpants and a crop top?

Andy Chequer went to Hooters once and got salsa all down his front.

bomba wrote:

> Mate, you're 23 years old, what's with going to the barbers / hairdressers with your parents? Your
> dad's screwing you with the senile old goat (oo-er) and your mother's hairdressers will be used to
> doing, well, mothers' hair. Strike out and find yourself your own hairdresser / barber / stylist.

Right-on Next purchase, a pair of clippers. lear to cut your own hair!

bomba wrote:

> GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a
> 40 year old teacher. <snip>

As a 40 year-old teacher, I resent that.

Kathleen

> bomba wrote:
>

> > GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a
> > 40 year old teacher. <snip>
>
> As a 40 year-old teacher, I resent that.
>
> Kathleen

if it makes you feel any better, your look is not exactly the look i was going for ;-) (not exactly
sure what look i was going for...)
--
~Travis

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Pete wrote:
> > "Aviation Maintenance Technician"
>

> I once put "Petroleum Transference Engineer" as a previous employment position.... sounded better
> than "pumped gas at a Shell Station"

Heheheheh....

Shaun aRe - liked "Goods Transportation Protection Technician" when he did some packing work
as a 'yoof'.

Kathleen wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>

>> GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a
>> 40 year old teacher. <snip>
>

> As a 40 year-old teacher, I resent that.

Yeah, but you dont have the "I'm a lurking pedaphile" look going for you.

Technician wrote:

> that's most likely my evil conjoined twin

I thought that was Richard?

> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Pete wrote:
> > > "Aviation Maintenance Technician"
> >

> > I once put "Petroleum Transference Engineer" as a previous employment position.... sounded
> > better than "pumped gas at a Shell Station"
>
> Heheheheh....
>
> Shaun aRe - liked "Goods Transportation Protection Technician" when he did some packing work as
> a 'yoof'.

or better yet, executive chef ;-)
--
~Travis