just started a spin class and crotch is killing me? help???

Jeri Greenberg

Feb 9, 2013
its winter here and i dont ride outside, just started spin class to break down a old time fear i had, but man, my crotch was killing me, the instructor put my seat at waist level and my handlebars were fine,,,suggestions? do padded shorts actually protect more than the rear end???

Padded shorts make all the difference I think. I usually don't go to the local shop for many things but make sure you go have them fit you for a pair of shorts that feel good to you.

My butt is rather bony that starts to ache pretty bad sometimes as well as my groin, padded shorts help with that.

Also make sure you get a good stretch out before and after.

cycling shorts help, i use baby skin cream wherever the skin hurts, before, during and after the ride/class,

Seems like your seat was set too high. The padded shorts help but if the seat is too high, they won't help. When you pedal, do you rock from side to side? If so the seat is too high. Next time lower it by 1/4 of an inch and see if hat makes a difference.

Reactions: Jeri Greenberg
I'd say stop riding spin bikes because they're awful. The "saddle" on a spin bike is more like an actual seat than a real saddle. Plus, to me they are nothing like riding an actual bike. I'd get an actual bike with a real saddle and get it fit properly, buy bibs with a quality chamois and some chamois cream. Then by a trainer and put said bike on the trainer and ride that way... or outdoors, whatever floats your boat. Build up your taint callous and go!

PS - I hate spin bikes if you couldn't tell!