Kirchen suffers suspected heart attack

steve said:
What do we make of this?

Kirchen suffers suspected heart attack
Katusha rider Kim Kirchen collapsed at his hotel last night following the seventh stage of the Tour de Suisse and was rushed to Zürich hospital.

Link: Kirchen Suffers Suspected Heart Attack | Cyclingnews.com

Very strange. Apparently an episode like this has happened before, according to Katusha sports director Serge Parsani (AP article below).

Kim Kirchen has heart attack after Tour of Swiss stage - ESPN

If someone in great shape like a profesional cyclist can have a heart attack, my days are numbered:eek:

If someone in great shape like a profesional cyclist can have a heart attack, my days are numbered:eek:

I wouldn't worry unless a lot of your relatives have been dropping dead while exercising!

The case with Kim Kirchen bothers me, however, I would suspect either:
1) Genetic Anomalies
2) Overexertion
3) Side effect of doping

It's kind of strange that it's actually the latter two that are preferable, because all you have to do is stop doing those two things. However, if he's got the first, there's nothing you can really do about it.

Did anything strenuous happen during the day's stage as in did Kim attack and hard and fly off the front and keep the peleton at bay and win or was it just being in Lance's presense? ha.

These guys undergo a medical examination before starting a national tour.

Did any anomalies show up in Kirchens pre tour test?

I've posted in Tour de Suisse thread that this is horrible news.
Update is saying that he's in medically induced coma.due to further analysis.

It would be very interesting to see report from hospital. Procedure in hospital, in order to give best possible treatment, probably requires all information about latest treatments, including those during the race and especially ones immediately before the accident. If team doctors wanted to hide something, doctors in hospital will find it anyway.
UCI has to get that report and see if some irregular medical practice is taking place in Katusha.
It doesn't have to be irregular exclusively from doping point of view, it could be unprofessional too.

This accident could have wider consequences than we can assume.

The sad thing is that Kirchen's career is over, probably not by his mistake.

There are a host of causes for heart attacks, so there's no need to start pointing at doping. Moreover, a lot of causes don't show up in a physical. Let's face it, physicals really don't dig that deep. I doubt that Kirchen's physical involved a cardiac catheterization, so it's not like it would have ruled out a blockage in a coronary artery. His apparent MI could have equally been caused by an inflammatory process, as many MI's are. Again, the potential causes are many.

Being in good or great physical condition only reduces the risk of an MI. Everyone who's not dead carries some risk for myocardial infarction. It's a fact of life.

Right now, Kirchen deserves the benefit of any doubt anyone might be harboring. He also deserves the well wishes.

4 days ago and we got a bunch of posts on this and about half included 'doping' in some form or another.

Now the guy is getting better and y'all don't give a sh1t because maybe doping wasn't involved.

Fcuk y'all, ye heartless bastids.

swampy1970 said:
4 days ago and we got a bunch of posts on this and about half included 'doping' in some form or another.

Now the guy is getting better and y'all don't give a sh1t because maybe doping wasn't involved.

Fcuk y'all, ye heartless bastids.

The doping hags are all away, looking for their backbones as well as trying to find carrion on which to feed.