Kivilev dies

In article <A%[email protected]>, Tom Kunich wrote: [Long and
useful text snipped]

> I have a question Tomas - how much have you studied the helmet subject? I'd warrant almost
> none at all.

Almost correct.

> And yet you want to argue about it. Why is that?

I'm not trying to argue whether helmets will help or not. I'm arguing whether your reasoning makes
sense. It's getting better.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> There is a good ratio between serious [head] injuries and fatalities. It happens to be about 5:1.

Tom, I don't want to get into the helmet debate (which is why I've snipped everything else). I'm
only interested in one thing: where did you get that ratio? To clarify, I'm not questioning whether
it is correct or incorrect, I'm only interested in where it came from.

"Tomas Bystrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <A%[email protected]>,
Tom
> Kunich wrote: [Long and useful text snipped]
>
> > I have a question Tomas - how much have you studied the helmet subject? I'd warrant almost none
> > at all.
>
> Almost correct.
>
> > And yet you want to argue about it. Why is that?
>
> I'm not trying to argue whether helmets will help or not. I'm
arguing
> whether your reasoning makes sense. It's getting better.

Forgive my snappishness. I have a kidney infection and the effects are rather, uh, defocusing.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> > There is a good ratio between serious [head] injuries and fatalities. It happens to be
> > about 5:1.
>
> Tom, I don't want to get into the helmet debate (which is why I've
snipped
> everything else). I'm only interested in one thing: where did you
get that
> ratio? To clarify, I'm not questioning whether it is correct or
incorrect,
> I'm only interested in where it came from.

I found that number in three or four studies of all sorts of injuries. It turns out to actually make
some sort of sense if you think about
it. Most fatalities are something of a chancy event and people being lucky and sometimes making
their own luck (getting their hands out in time for instance) end up with a 1 in 4 or 5 chance
of being killed in these serious accidents.

I think that Skuffham also found the same sort of result and put it in his paper.

It seems to be the same number in car, bicycle and motorcycle (huh!!!) accidents.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > There is a good ratio between serious [head] injuries and fatalities. It happens to be about
> > > 5:1.
> >
> > Tom, I don't want to get into the helmet debate (which is why I've snipped everything else). I'm
> > only interested in one thing: where did you get that ratio? To clarify, I'm not questioning
> > whether it is correct or incorrect, I'm only interested in where it came from.
>
> I found that number in three or four studies of all sorts of injuries. It turns out to actually
> make some sort of sense if you think about it. [rest snipped]

Actually, I do think it makes rough sense, since I had come up with a vaguely similar finding in my
own work (not bicycle-related). I was looking for references so I could see where else ratios like
these had appeared. However, the ratio does appear to vary with the relative mix of types of
accidents--if no one ever fell from stairs anymore and the number of space shuttle accidents went
way way up, the ratio would change.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote

> Actually, I do think it makes rough sense, since I had come up with a vaguely similar finding in
> my own work (not bicycle-related). I was
looking
> for references so I could see where else ratios like these had appeared. However, the ratio does
> appear to vary with the relative mix of types of accidents--if no one ever fell from stairs
> anymore and the number of space shuttle accidents went way way up, the ratio would change.

I should've added, "Thanks."

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >
> > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >
> > > Tom, I don't want to get into the helmet debate (which is why I've snipped everything else).
> > > I'm only interested in one thing: where did you get that ratio? To clarify, I'm not
> > > questioning whether it is correct or incorrect, I'm only interested in where it came from.
> >
> > I found that number in three or four studies of all sorts of injuries. It turns out to actually
> > make some sort of sense if you think about it. [rest snipped]
>
> Actually, I do think it makes rough sense, since I had come up with
> vaguely similar finding in my own work (not bicycle-related). I was
looking
> for references so I could see where else ratios like these had
appeared.

The problem first appeared when I started trying to make heads or tails out of the DOT statistics.
As you've probably seen, they report fatalities and "injuries" which is any time anyone goes to the
hospital. Well 95% or more of those who go to the hospital have minor injuries and are treat and
release (sounds like something from one of those wildlife shows).

Finally I started pulling out a statistic here or there mostly that had to do with the numbers of
hospital cases ADMITTED to the hospital from accidents.

A lot of people go in, but the important number are those who stay, even if for just one night.
Those are the serious cases.

I've never been able to get a hold on what I'd call real ratio which would require reading all of
the available medical reports and using the injury indexes to determine what "serious" really is.
But I think that if we were to be able to get the information it would probably be something like
3:1 serious injuries to fatalities.

I have been absolutely astounded at motorcycle accidents to see little pieces of vehicles laying
about and the rider complaining about his expensive toy. I road raced motorcycles for 5 years, I
think, and in that time I saw and was involved in literally hundreds of crashes. It was rare for
there to be anything serious enough to go to the hospital. And that included that 180 mph crash that
Art Bauman made at Taladega. Art raced the next day though he said he was sore as hell. Then there
was a spectacular (actually filmed as it happened) fireburst on a team Harley 250 at Daytona with
the kid flying through the flames and virtually unhurt.

The one thing that is underscored all of this in my mind is that serious accidents are bad luck and
fatalities are usually very bad luck. Bicycling is so safe that it is almost impossible to make it
safer without first making it less safe by riding in a stupid manner.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> The problem first appeared when I started trying to make heads or tails out of the DOT statistics.
> As you've probably seen, they report fatalities and "injuries" which is any time anyone goes to
> the hospital. Well 95% or more of those who go to the hospital have minor injuries and are treat
> and release (sounds like something from one of those wildlife shows).
>
> Finally I started pulling out a statistic here or there mostly that had to do with the numbers of
> hospital cases ADMITTED to the hospital from accidents.
>
> A lot of people go in, but the important number are those who stay, even if for just one night.
> Those are the serious cases.

It turns out that what you've written is close, but not quite exact. I used to be pretty familiar
with hospital discharge data, and I drafted one of many attempts to collect ER data. The ratio of
hospital ER visits to hospital admissions isn't really known because there isn't systematic
collection of ER data. In addition, there are trends in hospital admission behavior so that
something that a physician might have considered a reason for admission in the past might not be
considered so today, or that the decision to admit under one health system may not be the same under
a different system. For example: I've observed that the standard for hospital admission appears to
be set much lower in France than in the U.S.; and U.S. researchers have been investigating whether
the standard for hospital admission is different for public and private hospitals, or rural and
urban hospitals, or for-profit and non-profit hospitals, or whether the patient is poor or wealthy.
It's clear that there are trends that vary between seasons, and that admissions are sensitive not
only to the demand from patients but also the supply of beds (which one they're more sensitive to is
the big question). Whether these differences are a good thing or a bad thing is arguable (and I
have) but the fact is that they exist. That means that "seriousness" isn't as easily determinable by
whether or not a patient was admitted to the hospital as one would hope, even among trauma cases
where one might think the decision would be a bit more straightforward.

> I've never been able to get a hold on what I'd call real ratio which would require reading all of
> the available medical reports and using the injury indexes to determine what "serious" really is.
> But I think that if we were to be able to get the information it would probably be something like
> 3:1 serious injuries to fatalities.

As I mentioned in my previous message, that depends on the mix of types of injuries and the sampling
distribution of forces. Anyway, that's a statistical issue (which is where I was originally going
with my research--I was looking at sampling distributions of different things, not bike accidents).

I happen to have had the 1998 California hospital patient discharge data on my disk for another
project. Just for you, I ran a little query for admissions for APR-DRGs 55, 56, and 57 (basically,
head trauma) and got about 13,000. Then, I looked at these 13,000 admissions to see how many of them
had listed external injury codes having to do with bicycles (the majority of head trauma appear to
be folks over the age of 80 who fall while walking--I have no idea whether the injury/fatality ratio
is the same for them as for cyclists, but I suspect not so I thought it more prudent to try to
separate them out). I got a bit under 600 (but note that E-codes are notoriously poorly recorded,
and nearly another 1000 cases were blank so the real number can be anywhere from maybe 600 up to as
high as 1600, though this latter number I'd consider very unlikely; it would mean that every single
blank was bike-related). I have no information here on deaths before someone ever got to the
hospital, or the number of ER visits (I do have whether a person died in-hospital, but I forgot to
do the subquery of head trauma admissions where the patient subsequently died), or certainly the
number of people who were so slightly injured that they didn't go to a hospital at all. I describe
how I did this because you can see that at each step there is going to be some uncertainty in how
cases got coded or how people separate themselves into different categories.

Anyway, FWIW, those are the numbers. I can't help you with the "real" ratio, but I've given you some
bounds on the numerator, at least for California in 1998.

Did I misread your numbers or does it really seem to indicate that 95% of them were released and
only 5% were considered serious enough for admission? If so that most certainly does seem to back
the figures I've been slowly gathering.

> [...]
before
> someone ever got to the hospital, or the number of ER visits (I do
have
> whether a person died in-hospital, but I forgot to do the subquery
of head
> trauma admissions where the patient subsequently died), or certainly
the
> number of people who were so slightly injured that they didn't go to
> hospital at all. I describe how I did this because you can see that
at each
> step there is going to be some uncertainty in how cases got coded or
how
> people separate themselves into different categories.
>
> Anyway, FWIW, those are the numbers. I can't help you with the
"real" ratio,
> but I've given you some bounds on the numerator, at least for

Whoops, re-read and realize that the bicycle injuries related to head injuries seem to be about 5%.
Now finding out what the fatality rates of those would be interesting.