Lack Of Self-Respect?

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
How come people seem to be letting themselves go to absurd levels lately? I notice more and more people who are grossly overweight and who smoke ridiculous levels of tobacco.
The guy I mentioned some months ago in one of my posts has had a cancer scare. As I mentioned before, he was smoking 20 - 30 cigarettes a day and his habit was even forced on other people. Months ago I warned him how seriously he was damaging his health yet he laughed in my face on occasions. Now he has had this huge shock but still continues to smoke. :confused:
Not only that but more people are getting incredibly fat, gasping and wheezing at the slightest exertion. There are several people I know who have balooned to incredible proportions. Whenever I tactfully suggest the need for exercise, they bite my head off and simply don't listen.

I think tobacco should be banned outright. This guy had apparently had testicular cancer. They removed that but he has another tumour inside his head near the lobes. It may sound heartless but I warned this guy repeatedly that smoking 30 cigarettes a day would finally get to him. His response was to smoke even more, especially when I objected to smoke being in offices and rooms. But it seems to me that if he's still smoking and being treated on the NHS he must be totally addicted to the point of total loss of control.

He probably thinks that no-one with a modicum of self-respect would ever do anything so undignified as ride a bike.

I heard it said that very high levels of cycling isn't so good for you. For the average guy, though, 3 - 4 hours cycling every week would combat obesity.
You know, I know this guy who all his life ate only fast food such as fries, burgers, nuggets e.t.c. He never ate veg ever. Well, it nailed him. He winded up with legs that swell up like tree-trunks all blood red and can't work any more.
However, what I loathe is smoking. I'm terrified of breathing in those noxious fumes and open all windows where smoking has been taking place.

Don Shipp said:
He probably thinks that no-one with a modicum of self-respect would ever do anything so undignified as ride a bike.

Don Shipp said:
its not the bike riding that lacks self respect, its the wearing of lycra...

Carrera said:
I heard it said that very high levels of cycling isn't so good for you. For the average guy, though, 3 - 4 hours cycling every week would combat obesity.
You know, I know this guy who all his life ate only fast food such as fries, burgers, nuggets e.t.c. He never ate veg ever. Well, it nailed him. He winded up with legs that swell up like tree-trunks all blood red and can't work any more.
However, what I loathe is smoking. I'm terrified of breathing in those noxious fumes and open all windows where smoking has been taking place.
Not really what I mean.
Even someone who knew that they needed to exercise and recognised the potential benefits of cycling, would not ride a bike to work if they considered it undignified.
Someone like Mr. Justice Morgan, for instance, honestly believes that cycling is something that only proles do.

Carrera said:
3-4 hours a week on a bike is peanuts, and won't do anything. Most blokes did that getting to and back from work.
As a pro I was doing 5 hours a day training at about 22mph on 42x16. I'm 'ucked now, but I would never swop it for anything in the world, as I rode against or with the greatest riders in the world. And Eddy Merckx was the greatest ever without a shadow of a doubt. Mind you I did beat him in the Tour of Holland.

FredC said:
3-4 hours a week on a bike is peanuts, and won't do anything....
3 to 4 hrs a week, split into 4 or five rides will to a lot to remedy the ills of a totally sedentary lifestyle. Racing and training is another thing altogether....

FredC said:
3-4 hours a week on a bike is peanuts, and won't do anything. Most blokes did that getting to and back from work.
As a pro I was doing 5 hours a day training at about 22mph on 42x16. I'm 'ucked now, but I would never swop it for anything in the world, as I rode against or with the greatest riders in the world. And Eddy Merckx was the greatest ever without a shadow of a doubt. Mind you I did beat him in the Tour of Holland.
Hello, Fred.
I only do about 8-10hrs a week these days, and that's all my weekly commute, but it helps keep me in great shape. No amount of training would ever have put me in the Eddy Merckx league and that probably goes for 99.99% of the rest of the population. You must have been one fit bugger.

Don Shipp said:
Hello, Fred.
I only do about 8-10hrs a week these days, and that's all my weekly commute, but it helps keep me in great shape. No amount of training would ever have put me in the Eddy Merckx league and that probably goes for 99.99% of the rest of the population. You must have been one fit bugger.
Thanks Don, I must admit that I don't like posting this sort of thing up, but I know you understand my predicament, all our Redneck Hillbilly pals also understand this, and that's why I'm left alone.
Careera is a chump ( or words to that effect). He doesn't even know Brian Rourke or Les West. He's not in a club, never raced, and does everything wrong.

FredC said:
....He doesn't even know Brian Rourke or Les West. He's not in a club, never raced, and does everything wrong.
I'm totally lost... what do any of these have to do with plain old basic exercise and fitness?

I recall Limerickman saying you were a top cyclist. Myself I'm not really so good as I don't ride in competition. Even so, I make the effort to keep myself in reasonable shape. A few weeks ago I noticed I was riding on my Scott Sport about 27 mph on the flat although I'd normally drop down to about 21 mph most of the time. I've been known to climb long but not steep hills at about 17 mph.
I recall some weeks ago I was "dropped" by a Sheila! :p I was on my flashy bike and she was on some old thing that reminded me of the wizard of Oz with a basket on the front of the bars. She overtook me on the downbank I think to teach me a lesson.
I was so humiliated I attacked on the hill going up. I noticed my speedo had me at 17 mph climbing but I didn't dare look behind to see if the girl was on my wheel.
By the time I got to the bridge, I was amazed to see this girl had gone totally. But my own condition was not so good. I put so much effort into defending my honour I was left totally knackered. God knows what my pulse must have been.

FredC said:

I'm reasonably well known but my identity is a secret. I don't compete.

FredC said:
Thanks Don, I must admit that I don't like posting this sort of thing up, but I know you understand my predicament, all our Redneck Hillbilly pals also understand this, and that's why I'm left alone.
Careera is a chump ( or words to that effect). He doesn't even know Brian Rourke or Les West. He's not in a club, never raced, and does everything wrong.

The average guy isn't going to buy a Spartan regime that suits club riders. I believe short, intense rides will keep the average guy fit. I do more than that but, then again, I take sport more seriously. Cycling to work is a start for the lazy, overweight car-driver who does nothing.

Durangodave said:
I'm totally lost... what do any of these have to do with plain old basic exercise and fitness?

Don Shipp said:
Hello, Fred.
I think what you do is adequate and consistent on a weekly basis. Crappy seems to pump himself up full of his own narcisstic masturbations which have no parrallel or comparison to the cycling world. Les West was one of our great UK riders, but he never frightened me. Crappy lives in the same place as him, and has never heard of him.

Why do you have this odd fixation of "knowing" certain people? :confused: One guy I was training with not too long ago took silver in the Commonwealth Games. Anther guy I knew in the Basque country was a record holder.
In my house, I have personal autographs of Norman Wisdom and Oliver Hardy - handed down by relatives. I don't mention it as I don't see why it matters.
I have nothing to prove. I just ride the bike as I choose to stay in shape. I don't care which famous local rider may know me or not. There is no pressure.

FredC said:
I think what you do is adequate and consistent on a weekly basis. Crappy seems to pump himself up full of his own narcisstic masturbations which have no parrallel or comparison to the cycling world. Les West was one of our great UK riders, but he never frightened me. Crappy lives in the same place as him, and has never heard of him.

"Les West was one of our great UK riders, but he never frightened me."

That may be true. But I'll bet if you encountered Wurm out there on the roads - that would frighten you.
It would frighten me too, for that matter. :D

FredC said:

We are drifting a bit here, but Carrera, you are interested very much in your own health, fitness levels and performance, even tho' you don't compete. You may not think that you need a structured training regime, but understanding how professionals train could help you get the most out of all the riding that you do. Do coaches still use the term "junk miles" to describe time wasted on a bike?

Don, I explained that before. I took the year out - totally. I'm not in training at present for various reasons. Next year, I'm hoping to recommence. For now, I'm determined to finish the boat project so I try and tie my cycling in with the trips back and forth.
That's the way it is, I'm afraid. I do have a new bike which is a Claud Butler I ride most of the time.
Most of my free time I study some basic engineering as I need to get to grips with diesel engines. This is what my goal is for this year. I'm still reasonably fit, though and won't let myself go too much.

Don Shipp said:
We are drifting a bit here, but Carrera, you are interested very much in your own health, fitness levels and performance, even tho' you don't compete. You may not think that you need a structured training regime, but understanding how professionals train could help you get the most out of all the riding that you do. Do coaches still use the term "junk miles" to describe time wasted on a bike?