Lance/Jan

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would he be?

    I'm gonna say that he'd be the best all around rider since Merckx. He doesn't have the quick
    acceleration, but I think he could ride just about everyone off his wheel in anything other than a
    sprinters race. Too bad he's a head case. Bill C.

    Tags:

  2. Bbc3

    Bbc3 Guest

    "TritonRider" wrote:
    > Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would he
    be?

    I think Jan still has what it takes to be the best in the world. Jan really is the only rider still
    capable of beating Lance. Jan is the only rider with the raw talent for the job. If he had Lance's
    mental toughness, there would be almost no limit. For some reason Jan is still one of my favorite
    riders, and sure wish he would get his head on straight.

    --
    Bill

  3. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: "BBC3"

    >I think Jan still has what it takes to be the best in the world. Jan really is the only rider still
    >capable of beating Lance. Jan is the only rider with the raw talent for the job. If he had Lance's
    >mental toughness, there would be almost no limit. For some reason Jan is still one of my favorite
    >riders, and sure wish he would get his head on straight.
    >
    >--
    >Bill

    I agree. Most of my comments are based on frustration with him. He is, well was two years ago,
    fiercely defended in germany. We've lived in Augsburg and kaiserslautern. My son's first coach is
    the coach of the US military team and works the Tour for Telekom as a mechanic. Udo Boldts dad is at
    Klause's shop on a regular basis. They are almost violent in thier defense of Jan. I've got a
    love/hate feeling for him. He makes me nuts. Boldts and Zabel I love the hell out of. Nothing left
    on the road with them. http://www.radsport-wolf.de/topangebot.htm
    http://dod.mil/armedforcessports/zcyc.html Bill C.

  4. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On 25 Jan 2003 01:58:14 GMT, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    > Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would he be?

    A better question: if Jan had Tammy Thomas' penis and drive how good would he be?

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  5. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    Here's the REAL question: If Jan had Chris Charmichael as his coach, would he sue him for giving him
    cortisone injujections.

  6. ronde chimp wrote:

    > A better question: if Jan had Tammy Thomas' penis and drive how good would he be?

    I think you should have written: "...and DIDN'T drive, how good would he be?"

  7. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    I would have said that up to 2001. He has gone downhill, and that is more than just in his head.

  8. TritonRider wrote:

    > Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would he be?
    >
    > I'm gonna say that he'd be the best all around rider since Merckx. He doesn't have the quick
    > acceleration, but I think he could ride just about everyone off his wheel in anything other than
    > a sprinters race. Too bad he's a head case. Bill C.

    What kind of gay question is this? Do you think the final GC of the Tour de France is a
    scientific ranking of riders' mental toughness? Maybe Jan is mentally tougher than Lance but
    Lance has better genetics?

    Jan was World TT champion and Olympic gold medalist in the road race, neither of which Lance won.

    So your question is bizarre. Why don't you ask how come Lance isn't as "mentally tough" as
    Cipollini, you jackass? Don't you see how ludicrous that question is?

    Maybe Lance wins all these races because he was born with far superior genetics than everyone else
    and you misinterpet his "mental toughness" for what is really nothing but superior genes. Maybe Jan
    has surpassed his genetic capabilities relative to his limits moreso than Lance has?

    I like how you fail to quantify either athlete's physiological, genetic, or mental toughness - all
    of which would be extremely complex tasks to do accurately, but then go on to reduce what would
    amount to thousands of pages of science into a fucking gay ass singularl assumption of "mental
    toughness."

    Anybody who responds to your post as if it should be taken seriously is just as gay as you are.

    Sounds like you shower with soap-on-a-rope,

    Café

  9. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    "Café de Colombia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > TritonRider wrote:
    >
    > > Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would
    he be?

    > > I'm gonna say that he'd be the best all around rider since Merckx. He
    doesn't
    > > have the quick acceleration, but I think he could ride just about
    everyone off
    > > his wheel in anything other than a sprinters race. Too bad he's a head
    case.
    > > Bill C.
    >
    > What kind of gay question is this? Do you think the final GC of the Tour
    de
    > France is a scientific ranking of riders' mental toughness? Maybe Jan is
    mentally
    > tougher than Lance but Lance has better genetics?

    (SNIP)

    > Sounds like you shower with soap-on-a-rope,
    >
    > Café

    Glad to see you're back, Cafe.

  10. Café de Colombia <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > TritonRider wrote:
    >
    > > Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would he be?
    > >
    > > I'm gonna say that he'd be the best all around rider since Merckx. He doesn't have the quick
    > > acceleration, but I think he could ride just about everyone off his wheel in anything other
    > > than a sprinters race. Too bad he's a head case. Bill C.
    >
    > What kind of gay question is this? Do you think the final GC of the Tour de France is a scientific
    > ranking of riders' mental toughness? Maybe Jan is mentally tougher than Lance but Lance has better
    > genetics?
    >
    > Jan was World TT champion and Olympic gold medalist in the road race, neither of which Lance won.
    >
    > So your question is bizarre. Why don't you ask how come Lance isn't as "mentally tough" as
    > Cipollini, you jackass? Don't you see how ludicrous that question is?
    >
    > Maybe Lance wins all these races because he was born with far superior genetics than everyone else
    > and you misinterpet his "mental toughness" for what is really nothing but superior genes. Maybe
    > Jan has surpassed his genetic capabilities relative to his limits moreso than Lance has?
    >
    > I like how you fail to quantify either athlete's physiological, genetic, or mental toughness - all
    > of which would be extremely complex tasks to do accurately, but then go on to reduce what would
    > amount to thousands of pages of science into a fucking gay ass singularl assumption of "mental
    > toughness."
    >
    > Anybody who responds to your post as if it should be taken seriously is just as gay as you are.
    >
    > Sounds like you shower with soap-on-a-rope,
    >
    > Café

    Wow! Can anyone be anymore harsh than you for someone wanting to incite something that represents a
    good conversational thread and discussion? Nope, don't think so. When you call someone a "jackass",
    maybe you should look into a mirror more often if you want to see a jackass.

    If you look at it, bicycle racing does require that you have a mental toughness. If you don't think
    so, you must not have ever raced a bike. Lance does have extreme mental toughness and focus, and yes
    a genetic gift that 99.9% of us in this world don't have. Jan has a gift as well, but as we've seen
    in the past from him, his lack of discipline in the head has kept him from winning another Tour de
    France, not his lack of physical prowess. This is a valid question. It's not "gay" as you say. I'm
    sure you'll have some sort of "witty" response to this post, but I can easily discount the
    uninformed and ignorant in this world, and also someone that doesn't post under his/her own name (as
    I'm sure your name is not Cafe).

    Tom

  11. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Question: If Jan had Lance's mental toughness and desire how good would he be?

    If pigs had wings they could fly, but they don't. Seriously, I think Jan had the right attitude last
    year until he messed up his knee. Now he has lost a lot of fitness and there are lingering questions
    about the knee. His recent comments suggest he views 2003 as a year to rebuild, and he hopes to have
    a shot at winning the TdF in 2004. I'm skeptical. I really can't see him beating Lance by in either
    the mountains or time trials.

    But if Lance were to retire, Jan might be the man to beat.

    Art Harris

  12. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Art Harris)

    >Seriously, I think Jan had the right attitude last year until he messed up his knee. Now he has
    >lost a lot of fitness and there are lingering questions about the knee. His recent comments suggest
    >he views 2003 as a year to rebuild, and he hopes to have a shot at winning the TdF in 2004. I'm
    >skeptical. I really can't see him beating Lance by in either the mountains or time trials.

    Even Lance has said that when Jan is on form he is the strongest rider in the world. Unfortunately
    Jan, even before the knee, had a tendancy to let himself get out of shape, especially in the off
    season. I just can't ever picture Lance getting out of shape. Bill C.

  13. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: [email protected] (TritonRider)

    >I just can't ever picture Lance getting out of shape.

    Maybe after number 5? or number 6? or maybe he'll just bulk his sprint up a little and go for Le
    Weekend Ardennais and Amstel. --Tom Paterson

  14. [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >From: [email protected] (Art Harris)
    >
    > >Seriously, I think Jan had the right attitude last year until he messed up his knee. Now he has
    > >lost a lot of fitness and there are lingering questions about the knee. His recent comments
    > >suggest he views 2003 as a year to rebuild, and he hopes to have a shot at winning the TdF in
    > >2004. I'm skeptical. I really can't see him beating Lance by in either the mountains or time
    > >trials.

    What matters is results, I think there probably is a bunch of riders who could have beaten the
    current tdf winner at a particular moment in time.

    > Even Lance has said that when Jan is on form he is the strongest rider in the world.
    > Unfortunately Jan, even before the knee, had a tendancy to let himself get out of shape,
    > especially in the off season. I just can't ever picture Lance getting out of shape. Bill C.

  15. Dan

    Dan Guest

    [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Even Lance has said that when Jan is on form he is the strongest rider in the world.
    > Unfortunately Jan, even before the knee, had a tendancy to let himself get out of shape,
    > especially in the off season. I just can't ever picture Lance getting out of shape. Bill C.

    Robbie Ventura said Lance looks in better shape than in any previous year, and that camp has
    been fast.

    Ullrich claims to have learned how to spin.

  16. robertpalmer

    robertpalmer Guest

    Sounds like somebody needs a cafe enema. bp

  17. [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >From: [email protected] (Dan)
    >
    > >Robbie Ventura said Lance looks in better shape than in any previous year, and that camp has
    > >been fast.
    > >

    > That doesn't surprise me at all. As he gets closer to his goal of six he is just going to work
    > harder and be even more anal. Unless something happens like a major crash or injury I just can't
    > see him letting anything get in the way of winning six.
    Lance certainly has a very good chance of winning a sixth tdf. But on the otherhand there a lot of
    other good riders like Botero of Gonzalez who could possibly challenge Lance. After Indurain won his
    5th tdf most people thought he would ride on to a 6th. The picture will become more clear after this
    years tdf.
    > Bill C.

  18. "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > That doesn't surprise me at all. As he gets closer to his goal of six
    > he is
    > > > just going to work harder and be even more anal. Unless something
    > happens like
    > > > a major crash or injury I just can't see him letting anything get in the
    > way of
    > > > winning six.
    > > Lance certainly has a very good chance of winning a sixth tdf. But on the otherhand there a lot
    > > of other good riders like Botero of Gonzalez who could possibly challenge Lance. After Indurain
    > > won his 5th tdf most people thought he would ride on to a 6th. The picture will become more
    > > clear after this years tdf.
    > > > Bill C.
    >
    > Indurain should have won a 6th if he didn't plan on using the first week of the Tour as training
    > camp. IIRC, He started the Tour heavy and got gassed in the mountains. I don't see Lance making
    > that mistake.

    Marital problems adds a whole new dimenson for Lance. Lance is riding at such a high level that is
    hard to predict how he will react. But if the Lance does not face any significant competitors in the
    TDF then he has a much stronger chance of winning a 6th tdf.