Last week of Sydney-Gong prep

Artoi

Guest
7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
final 6 days?

Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it be
better to rest it out?

Thanks for any tips.
--

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 29 Oct 2006 07:54:32 GMT
Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> 7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
> final 6 days?
>
> Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it be
> better to rest it out?

What will you be wearing on the day?

I'm doing motorcycle marshalling on the day in the National Park. If
you see a rattly old MotoGuzzi and a rider in a red openface lid,
that's me.

I'll be carrying a floor pump and patches :)

Zebee

In article <[email protected]>,
Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 29 Oct 2006 07:54:32 GMT
> Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
> > final 6 days?
> >
> > Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it be
> > better to rest it out?

> What will you be wearing on the day?
>
> I'm doing motorcycle marshalling on the day in the National Park. If
> you see a rattly old MotoGuzzi and a rider in a red openface lid,
> that's me.
>
> I'll be carrying a floor pump and patches :)

You'd be easy to spot but hopefully I won't require your assistance. :p
Irrespective, it's great to have you on the road looking after us all.

No idea what I'll be wearing. Maybe a red jersey. Will say hello should
I see going past.
--

Artoi said:
7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
final 6 days?

Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it be
better to rest it out?

--

That's going to depend a lot on you. It's not a particularly hard ride & is not a race so no real need to rest up much if you're fit so just do what you'd normally do.

On the ride remember to put on LOTS of sunscreen, especially when you get to the seabridge - there's a lot of reflected UV off the ocean.

Parbs -
riding a Surly Cross-Check (SS of course), Blue MWMTB Club jersery, & red helmet

Artoi wrote:
> 7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
> final 6 days?

How far is the ride? You can do a carbo load the day before, if you
want to give it a try :

http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/guide-to-carbo-loading/

> Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it be
> better to rest it out?

Without knowing anything about what training you've done as a leadup,
it's very difficult to advise, but I'd suggest you do a few shorter
easy rides this week, with some medium intensity stuff midweek.
Certainly go for a ride the day before, but again, without knowing how
much you've already been doing it's not possible to give you anything
more specific than that.

In article <[email protected]>,
kanangara <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi Wrote:
> > 7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
> > final 6 days?
> >
> > Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it
> > be
> > better to rest it out?
> >
> > --

> That's going to depend a lot on you. It's not a particularly hard ride
> & is not a race so no real need to rest up much if you're fit so just do
> what you'd normally do.
>
> On the ride remember to put on LOTS of sunscreen, especially when you
> get to the seabridge - there's a lot of reflected UV off the ocean.

Thanks for the sunscreen reminder.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > 7 more days to the Gong ride. Any suggestion for a ride schedule in
> > final 6 days?

> How far is the ride? You can do a carbo load the day before, if you
> want to give it a try :
>
> http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/guide-to-carbo-loading/
>
> > Should I do a medium distance gentle ride the day before? Or would it be
> > better to rest it out?

> Without knowing anything about what training you've done as a leadup,
> it's very difficult to advise, but I'd suggest you do a few shorter
> easy rides this week, with some medium intensity stuff midweek.
> Certainly go for a ride the day before, but again, without knowing how
> much you've already been doing it's not possible to give you anything
> more specific than that.

Thanks, the carbo load idea is great. After the Waterfall ride on Sun, I
was hungry for the whole day despite a good lunch after I got back. But
after reading that guide, I don't think I'll follow it exactly, but just
eat more than usual. :)

On 2006-10-30, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> Bleve wrote:
>>
>> How far is the ride? You can do a carbo load the day before, if you
>> want to give it a try :
>>

> 90km, a couple of climbs but none that are really nasty
>
> http://www.msaustralia.org.au/nswvic/events/oe/gongride2006/images/master/ms-elevation-map.jpg

Gah! Where's the scale!?

I was ****** off tonight when I glimpsed the financial report on the
ABC news, with no vertical scale on several plots (so how much is
agriculture suffering compared to the general economy, if I don't even
know if they are overlayed on the same scale?). It's not like the ABC
would usually deliberately try to mislead viewers unlike certain other
commercial stations with numbers starting with either 7, 9, or 10.

--
TimC
"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a

In article
<[email protected]>,
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2006-10-30, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> > Bleve wrote:
> >>
> >> How far is the ride? You can do a carbo load the day before, if you
> >> want to give it a try :
> >>

> > 90km, a couple of climbs but none that are really nasty
> >
> > http://www.msaustralia.org.au/nswvic/events/oe/gongride2006/images/master/ms
> > -elevation-map.jpg

> Gah! Where's the scale!?

Based on GPS record, Waterfall is around 250m in elevation. So that
should give some sense of scale.
--

Artoi wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> On the ride remember to put on LOTS of sunscreen, especially when you
>> get to the seabridge - there's a lot of reflected UV off the ocean.

> Thanks for the sunscreen reminder.
> --

Looks like we might not need to worry about the sunscreen

<http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/local.jsp?fcast=94768&obs=94768&img=radar&rad=003&fn=true>

Parbs

In article <[email protected]>,
Parbs <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >
> >> On the ride remember to put on LOTS of sunscreen, especially when you
> >> get to the seabridge - there's a lot of reflected UV off the ocean.

> > Thanks for the sunscreen reminder.
> > --

> Looks like we might not need to worry about the sunscreen
>
> <http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/local.jsp?fcast=94768&obs=94768&img=radar
> &rad=003&fn=true>

I understand last year was the high wind. This year we'll add some H2O
in the mix.