Latex tubes - what are the benefits?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
Latex - sorry sounds a bit "only gay in the village"....but what's the real oil on these?
I was told they're less likely to puncture. True?
Lighter(not just colour!)?
Dearer?
Not repairable?

Cheers, Paul :)

Sorry Paul, I just want to say, don't worry you are not 'the only gay in the village' as someone else already is;););):D

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.
Latex - sorry sounds a bit "only gay in the village"....but what's the real oil on these?
Dearer?
Not repairable?

Michi claim that latex tubes are more pliable and flex more easily than butyl, hence lowering the effective rolling resistance, and probably experience fewer punctures if that's true.

They lose air by passive diffusion much more easily though, so they're only recommended for racing.

I doubt that most non-competitive riders would tell much of a difference to justify twice the price. I certainly couldn't tell.

n

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.
Dearer?
Not repairable?

They stretch more than butyl so they're a little more resistant to pinch flats, not to thorn/tack type punctures.

They're lighter - if you're really looking for every gram.

They're repairable but not with the standard patch kits.

Go ahead and try some - pretty cheap experiment, it's not like you can't put a butyl tube in there when a latex one goes flat. Most people probably couldn't tell any difference though.

My practical experience with vittoria latex tubes is more supple ride, you save about 40gms of weight (if this is important), no flats in 2500km (this could be luck), before this I did get flats quite often. They loose about 5-10 lbs overnight. I always carry a couple of extra tubes as they are a bit difficult to patch on the run. Downside nearly double the price of a normal tube from the LBS in Oz.